U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-12-2007, 11:51 AM
 
457 posts, read 302,328 times
Reputation: 67

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theimmigrant View Post
When I posted this, my point was to show that in some cases being an "immigrant" will usually throw you in with the large group of people who are "illegal", it has come to the point that the terms are used interchangeably. I was also pointing out that there are different types of illegal aliens (those who are in the process of becoming legal).
The problem is, when legal Immigrants throw their support behind the ILLEGALS and insist on the ILLEGAL's "rights" (which they have NONE, beyond decent human rights), they will continue to be lumped in with them.

 
Old 10-12-2007, 11:56 AM
 
1,214 posts, read 1,650,954 times
Reputation: 880
School taxes...numerous remedial courses...not assimilating to the US culture (yes, we have a culture...).....

There is nothing wrong with legal immigrants...They do contribute much to our economy and culture...As everyone else is stating on this thread - It's the illegal immigrants that upset us...We have laws...We are a nation of people...Our country is not "up for grabs"...

This nonsense about the native americans being the only real Americans...Hey, they were immigrants too!...And, they conquered, fought, butchered and invaded the territories of each others tribes...That was the then way of the world that started to improve when our ancestors crawled out of the caves...So, where do the apologies and retributions end?...Maybe we should all find some neandtrathals to pay everything to?..

Every country and nationality in the world has some sin against others...Even today in Africa, South America, Asia, the Middle East...And, everyone is trying to get into this country because the truth is we are the most humane...We've changed for the better!...Maybe not perfect for everyone...But, enough to be the most desired place in the world to live!

But, we've earned the national rights of self-determination...By the people...Our people.
 
Old 07-16-2008, 08:22 AM
 
1 posts, read 1,011 times
Reputation: 10
Default Its the law

Quote:
Originally Posted by theimmigrant View Post
To the people who believe that immigrants are ruining America,( by not paying taxes, taking jobs from Americans, going to the hospital because they are sick, or just trying to find a better life, etc). - How about the ones trying to make a difference in their country, or paying taxes, or helping the American people? Well, how come not many see the difference in this, and just lump us all together in one category? Those of you who are against immigrants should realize that we are not all the same, but a group of people with different perspectives. By the way, just because we are immigrants does not mean out life goal is to become your nanny or gardener.
I don't think you understand the point here at all. Its not an immigrant issue. ITS AN ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT ISSUE. Illegal means you are breaking the law and face deportation and why shouldn't you. The illegals have no regard for the US other than to make a dollar and pay nothing in return. I don't condone corporate America that takes advantage of this either. They should face criminal charges and fines accordingly. Anytime I see something on TV about this issue you see flag burning illegals claiming they have rights and we are racisits. Do you see the point there? The flag burning! You have no rights if your illegal! Flag burning is the most disrespectful thing you can do to prove you have rights or being cheated. Have you seen the latest crime statistics? In Dallas alone the majority of crime are committed by mexicans! Why would we understand this culture that remains so bitter against the US and its legal residents? I was raised to be respectful of others especially when I'm in someone's home or I visit another country. I don't see that in the Mexican culture. Perhaps the mexican parties here should address this rather than accept and say "Mexicans are mad" we're treated unfair! As far as the economy, your culture is draining our healthcare system among a few. 12 million illegals are here with the purpose of a devouring our country that has treated you fairly with our services both private and government. The govenment created NAFTA for Mexico primarily to assist the mexican goverment who has no major export to offer the world other than corn and jalepenos.
Maybe you should research your country a litttle more or hop on a bus and go back.
 
Old 03-07-2010, 06:04 AM
 
Location: SouthCentral Texas
3,855 posts, read 4,087,243 times
Reputation: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
A country is in many respects the "home" of those who are citizens. They feel a proprietary interest in their country, just as anyone would feel toward his own home. If you want to get along with a person- ANY person I've ever met, in ANY country--- you don't barge into his home, shove your way past the family, and proceed to sit down make yourself at home. This would cause instant hostility almost anywhere. If you want to be accepted, you knock at the door--greet the person inside---and enter when you are invited in. Normally, at that point, you'll be given a warm and hospitable welcome. If not, you leave. That's how to get along with people in their home.

Countries are somewhat the same as homes. Sneak in, make yourself at home, disrespect the residents, and begin loudly demanding all sorts of rights and privileges, and you'll probably be met with hostility. Go through the proper procedures, enter legally, and show a bit of respect, and you'll be welcomed warmly, at least in this country.

It amazes me how this simple analogy seems to mystify so many people. It's really not a bit difficult to understand, yet some of the most brilliant minds in government just don't seem to "get it"....
There is one little flaw with your story...First, we are the Government. Secondly, We were not in Invited into to Iraq. And your right, our little push past the front door has caused hostility; and cost the Ameican tax payer Trillions of Dollars.

Those that live in Glass houses, shouldnt throw stones...
 
Old 03-07-2010, 07:07 AM
 
Location: SouthCentral Texas
3,855 posts, read 4,087,243 times
Reputation: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Nice fantasy, but I can assure you it won't happen. I've tried it, and these folks simply out-shout any legitimate ideas, or whip out the race card. No intelligent discussion is possible. They are absolutely immune from embarrassment. They're interested ONLY in "group entitlement", period. Logic, scientific thought, and reason are "tricks" brought to this continent by the European invaders to confuse the natives, and these guys aren't buying it.
I like Logic, scientic thought and reason...

Please explain how America could logistically deport en masse 12 to 20 million people?

Current deportation rates are at about 250,000 per year.
Half that amount if you take into consideration the numers that cross over each year.

So, I would be interested in your point of view on mode, cost, and a timeline to deport 12-20 million illegal aliens.
 
Old 03-07-2010, 07:09 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
I like Logic, scientic thought and reason...

Please explain how America could logistically deport en masse 12 to 20 million people?

Current deportation rates are at about 250,000 per year.
Half that amount if you take into consideration the numers that cross over each year.

So, I would be interested in your point of view on mode, cost, and a timeline to deport 12-20 million illegal aliens.
You've already been told over and over that with e-verify most would self-deport. Sometimes I feel like a parrot in here.
 
Old 03-07-2010, 07:25 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
33,949 posts, read 32,397,399 times
Reputation: 49901
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
I like Logic, scientic thought and reason...

Please explain how America could logistically deport en masse 12 to 20 million people?

.
You don't deport. You just cut them off from schools and other freebies and they leave. The reason we have immigration laws is to make America better and so the taxpayer isn't burdened. That's why we supposedly pick and choose who we let in. If the country feels it needs more of a certain type of worker, then they can just up the quotas for legal immigration for that type of worker.

The Democrats want masses of entitlement people dependent on them for freebies so that they will vote for Democrats and that's why they they push for legalization.

The Republicans want cheap labor for business and that's why they are content to have them in the country but want to keep them illegal.

The unions look for them to swell dues paying union membership.

The Catholic Church sees potential new churchgoers to stem the tide of decreasing numbers of parishioners and clergy.

That they are all crying "compassion" belies each of their respective agendas.
 
Old 03-07-2010, 07:44 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
You don't deport. You just cut them off from schools and other freebies and they leave. The reason we have immigration laws is to make America better and so the taxpayer isn't burdened. That's why we supposedly pick and choose who we let in. If the country feels it needs more of a certain type of worker, then they can just up the quotas for legal immigration for that type of worker.

The Democrats want masses of entitlement people dependent on them for freebies so that they will vote for Democrats and that's why they they push for legalization.

The Republicans want cheap labor for business and that's why they are content to have them in the country but want to keep them illegal.

The unions look for them to swell dues paying union membership.

The Catholic Church sees potential new churchgoers to stem the tide of decreasing numbers of parishioners and clergy.

That they are all crying "compassion" belies each of their respective agendas.
Short, sweet and to the point.
 
Old 03-07-2010, 07:49 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,816,809 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
You've already been told over and over that with e-verify most would self-deport. Sometimes I feel like a parrot in here.
It’s the brick wall syndrome. It does become tiresome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
You don't deport. You just cut them off from schools and other freebies and they leave. The reason we have immigration laws is to make America better and so the taxpayer isn't burdened. That's why we supposedly pick and choose who we let in. If the country feels it needs more of a certain type of worker, then they can just up the quotas for legal immigration for that type of worker.

The Democrats want masses of entitlement people dependent on them for freebies so that they will vote for Democrats and that's why they they push for legalization.

The Republicans want cheap labor for business and that's why they are content to have them in the country but want to keep them illegal.

The unions look for them to swell dues paying union membership.

The Catholic Church sees potential new churchgoers to stem the tide of decreasing numbers of parishioners and clergy.

That they are all crying "compassion" belies each of their respective agendas.
Absolutely! I only wish I had a thousand dollars for each time we have mentioned this to pro-illegals. I am beginning to believe they have been implanted with a “we can’t deport” chip.
 
Old 03-07-2010, 11:09 AM
 
411 posts, read 402,628 times
Reputation: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by theimmigrant View Post
To the people who believe that immigrants are ruining America,( by not paying taxes, taking jobs from Americans, going to the hospital because they are sick, or just trying to find a better life, etc). - How about the ones trying to make a difference in their country, or paying taxes, or helping the American people? Well, how come not many see the difference in this, and just lump us all together in one category? Those of you who are against immigrants should realize that we are not all the same, but a group of people with different perspectives. By the way, just because we are immigrants does not mean out life goal is to become your nanny or gardener.

Excellent post, being an immigrant myself, I could not be in more agreement, I came to USA over 20 years ago, with a few dollars in my pockets, and with a dream to make it better for myself and the people around me, now I'm at the top 0.2% in income in the USA, I never took a dime in government handouts, never visited the hospital, my children attended private school while I've been paying a fortune in taxes so that others can attend school, and I tell you this, all
immigrants I know share the same values, I am proud to be a part of this country...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top