U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-08-2007, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,717,892 times
Reputation: 2096

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
This is the attitude I am trying to talk about. It's your country. I am just from Sweden.
People here claim to have read my posts, yet no one has picked up the fact that I am engaged to an American and am moving to the US next year. And you expect me to believe that you are so aware of what is going on everywhere in your country?
It's your country. It is such an honor to get a US-citizenship.
Lucky you I know not all Americans are like you. I know you are all individuals, and therefor I will not judge you all based on the people on this forum.
If I had been like you, judging people without knowing them, then trust me, I would never even had wanted to know the US existed. I would have been too terrified.


That is, per definition, lumping a group of people together.
How do you know that the people you meet on the street, doing something bad, are legals or illegals? How do you know when you meet someone who spits on you, wether this person is illegal or not. You think this person is illegal, based on the fact that the person did something you didn't like. That is what the OP wanted to point out, IMO. And yet he/she didn't, since the post is about immigration - nothing has been said about legal or illegal. It's about the attitude against immigrants.
Yes! ALL ILLEGALS ARE ILLEGALS! We know that! Come on, say something new! People here don't say illegal immigration is ok, so don't keep saying we do. Respond to our posts and not to what YOU think we should think just because we don't agree with you on one thing.
I dont give a rats rear if you agree with me or not, I have the balls to ask if they are when they hoot and holler at me at my work and spit at my husband at the job site and curse him out when he has to correct their work, and I can tell by how they respond, see years of having to deal with them has clued me in. I have yet to run into a legal immigrant that is anything but nice and polite upon meeting. And again I can say anything I want, dont like it dont read it.

 
Old 10-08-2007, 12:28 PM
 
1,735 posts, read 4,145,670 times
Reputation: 1436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I dont give a rats rear if you agree with me or not, I have the balls to ask if they are when they hoot and holler at me at my work and spit at my husband at the job site and curse him out when he has to correct their work, and I can tell by how they respond, see years of having to deal with them has clued me in. I have yet to run into a legal immigrant that is anything but nice and polite upon meeting. And again I can say anything I want, dont like it dont read it.
Balls????????????????????????
 
Old 10-08-2007, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,717,892 times
Reputation: 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
Balls????????????????????????
Sorry, I hang around men all day,, I mean GUTS
 
Old 10-08-2007, 12:53 PM
 
Location: Naptowne, Alaska
15,596 posts, read 34,613,775 times
Reputation: 14657
So...what...if anything...are any of you doing about the illegals invading our southern states? Do you just come here and vent? Do you form groups and camp on the governors doorstep demanding action? Contact senators and demand action? Ganging up on an 18 year old who is trying to understand, and bashing every post seems pretty darn immature. Lot's of b*****g and moaning...but are you actually taking steps to make a difference or take a stance? Do any of you head on down to the local law enforcement and become border patrol agents? Maybe a little mature discussion would help Sweden better understand what it is your trying to accomplish or expose to the world. I live so far away from those southern border states it's a whole different world to me. Sure it sucks knowing this is going on, and as a country united you are getting no help or closure from the rest of the nation it seems. But for cryin out loud, most of you sound like your 18 yo yourself. Take a minute to consider an answer or a comment that might better enlighten Sweden or myself to the issues, rather than some smart a$$ remark that does nothing for your intelligence level. If your govenors or senators won't do anything...can't you replace them?
 
Old 10-08-2007, 12:57 PM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,717,892 times
Reputation: 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
So...what...if anything...are any of you doing about the illegals invading our southern states? Do you just come here and vent? Do you form groups and camp on the governors doorstep demanding action? Contact senators and demand action? Ganging up on an 18 year old who is trying to understand, and bashing every post seems pretty darn immature. Lot's of b*****g and moaning...but are you actually taking steps to make a difference or take a stance? Do any of you head on down to the local law enforcement and become border patrol agents? Maybe a little mature discussion would help Sweden better understand what it is your trying to accomplish or expose to the world. I live so far away from those southern border states it's a whole different world to me. Sure it sucks knowing this is going on, and as a country united you are getting no help or closure from the rest of the nation it seems. But for cryin out loud, most of you sound like your 18 yo yourself. Take a minute to consider an answer or a comment that might better enlighten Sweden or myself to the issues, rather than some smart a$$ remark that does nothing for your intelligence level. If your govenors or senators won't do anything...can't you replace them?
Well maybe if people would stop telling us what we can and cannot post, things would be different. We try to enlighten only to be told we are racist and wrong. So a good debate is hard. And yes most of us do something. I turn in employers, vote, write my senators and congressmen, attend local meetings on the issues, like the one here in Greenly. But above all we should be allowed to vent. And some people you just cannot enlighten they have to experience and see for themselves. Oh and BTW it is almost all the states not just the border states. And one of my brother in laws is a Border Patrol Officer in Cali..
 
Old 10-08-2007, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Anchorage, Alaska (most of the time)
1,222 posts, read 3,291,599 times
Reputation: 1881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choctaw2 View Post
Good advise to follow,,, including yourself. At the age of 18, you have a lot to learn and believe me, when you do make your way to the USA you are going to be learning what most everyone here is talking about. I don't know where you are getting all your information, One thing is sure it is not first hand info. You are not living next door to the situations that face all of us everyday here in USA.
Condescending. Great. Only proves that you do not have much to teach me.

I am living with the same problems as you in the US are. The only difference is that you will not accept that, and just try to say "no, you don't know how bad it is here".
Hm. Yeah, my brothers and I used to use the same arguments when trying to prove that "I" was the worse off and deserved the most pitty.

Americans are not known to be good at geography. Statistics show that 1/5 of the American population cannot pinpoint the US on a map. You'll never find a person in a European country who cannot even pinpoint his/her own land. That is why there are so many movies like that on youtube about Americans. You'll never find that with any other people. That is a fact, it's not me believingthat.
That proves to most people that Americans probably doesn't know much about the rest of the world either. And since most Americans discuss Europe, Asia and Africa as if those were countries and not continents...
You don't study geography like we do in most European countries. We HAVE TO learn about the rest of the world. We KNOW what happens in other countries, and especially what happens in the US. Trust me, that is what we are bombarded with EVERY SINGLE DAY. You have made yourselves so important that we HAVE TO learn US history, modern and old, in school.
I know what happens in the US, because I hear about it every day. I read about it in the newspapers. I read about it on forums such as this. We discuss it in school. Trust me, we know about the illegals in the US.

But we put it in perspectives. You think only YOU have problems with people coming to your country, just like me and my brothers used to believe that only "I" suffered when we were children.
WE have problems too. You keep saying that we don't when it doesn't suit your arguments, but then there are lots of threads about the de-railing Europe ("This video of Europe is depressing" etc) in which you make it seem like WE are WAY WORSE off than you.
So, what is it? Make up your mind, please.

The European countries take in immigrants, illegals and legals, just as you do. Only difference?
Europe is smaller then the US. Europe has a much bigger populationalready than the US.
We are therefore more at risk of over-population and will suffer more from it than you and will do so much sooner.
Immigration is taking its toll on European countries too, even if you don't want to see it when talking about your suffering.
We have illegals in Sweden too. We have legals too. And we have PLENTY of them both.
Only difference: Sweden is smaller than the US. Sweden has a smaller population than the US.
An immigrant stepping into Sweden makes a bigger difference than one stepping into the US.

As I have already listed in another thread, where I was listed as a troll since one person ran out of arguments, that we are experiencing the same problems as you are, here, in Sweden already.
Difference: Sweden is a much smaller country than the US. Sweden has smaller resources than the US.

Let me tell you this when you say the US is more tolerant of immigrants than "Europe":
In Sweden, a site like this would be illegal. It would be regarded as hate against a minority and would be in violation with the law. It would be terminally shut down.
That's how WE feel about hate against immigrants. Legal or illegal, they still have a value. They are still HUMANS. We will still want them to get out of our country, but we will still continue to treat them as HUMANS.
Oh, that's right. The US won't agree to the Gènève convention. Oh, I'm sorry, my mistake. In US:s eyes, non-Americans aren't humans. That's why we are called ALIENS.

The problem is not immigrants, legal or not. The problem is the politicians for not using the resources correctly. But, the blame falls on the easy target. That is natural and what has always been the norm, but one would like for the modern person to actually REALIZE this soon and start THINKING instead of using the easy way out.

Put things in perspective. Look at it from someone else's point of view. Try to understand this person. Try to once think like this person.
Better yet, try to argue for this person's case, even if you in NO WAY agrees with what you would be saying.

I did that when I started posting on this forum. Like I said, we have the same problems here in Sweden as you do, and many feel the same as you do. I did. I didn't like all the immigrants coming into Sweden and "destroying it" as I saw it. I embraced the media's picture of what an average immigrant coming to Sweden was like. It went along with what I already felt, so "great, I am not alone thinking like this. It is not wrong of me to think like this, they really are like that".
But then my social studies teacher told us about being critical to what the media is saying, especially if it keeps repeating the same "images". It wants you to see what it believes you want to see.
People are horrible creatures, really. We want to see agony, blood and others being miserable and hateful. That's what fills our book stores, what Hollywood makes movies about.
And the media knows this.
How often do you see media reporting about a child being born in a hospital?
Never.
Why?
Because it's not something extraordinary.
A child being born in the midst of a huge fire, however, is. This makes the news.
Tell me- how many do you know who were born this way? Not many.
Every day, there is a new murder having taken place. And every time, it is more bloody than the last.
How many do you know that has been murdered?
Not many, I would believe.
Especially not in the way that the media loves to show.
You know why?
It's because it happens so extremely seldom.
Things that are out of the ordinary get's its 15 minutes of fame.
We all know this. It is common sense. No one trusts media anymore to give a fair view of anything.

But we believe media is accurate when it is portraying something we don't like. Like immigrants, muslims etc.
Then all of a sudden, it must be true. They are showing it every now and then.
"My gosh, if they show it repeatedly, then it MUST be the truth!"
Why is it different here?
Because we WANT IT TO BE TRUE.
It justifies what we already believe. We don't have to think "oh my, am I being hate ful? Is it wrong of me to think like this? Will I have to CHANGE?"
That is a well-known reaction and thinking among psychologists. I know this.
I started out like you, hating people I had never even met, just because it was easy. They were easy targets, pointed out to me by the media and other people.
But it didn't make it right.
I started thinking about it constantly, and it only took me a few days to completely change my mind. Every day I see angry muslims on the TV. But how often do I see that in real life?
Sure, when I go to Stockholm or Göteborg or London or any other big town, I see this. I see mad people, looking like muslims.
But I see just as many white people doing the same things and worse.
But I know lots of white people, and I would never rush to an assumption that ALL WHITE PEOPLE are like that, because since I am surrounded every day by white people who are not like that, I know these people are just a few people who are not like the majority.
So how can I say that muslim-looking people are like that, when I don't think white people are like that?


I may only be 18 years old, but atleast I have arguments and facts for my posts. Show me yours and respond to my arguments and try to be civil doing so. Otherwise I say, "young is better, because I atleast can change my mind".
 
Old 10-08-2007, 01:02 PM
 
Location: Cali
3,887 posts, read 6,011,053 times
Reputation: 2201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
And one of my brother in laws is a Border Patrol Officer in Cali..

I don't envy your bro-in-law!
 
Old 10-08-2007, 01:04 PM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,717,892 times
Reputation: 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
I don't envy your bro-in-law!
Neither do I. Cant even tell you how many times he has been shot at. His parents are always trying to talk him out of the profession, but he wont budge.
 
Old 10-08-2007, 02:34 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
3,589 posts, read 2,991,014 times
Reputation: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
So...what...if anything...are any of you doing about the illegals invading our southern states? Do you just come here and vent? Do you form groups and camp on the governors doorstep demanding action? Contact senators and demand action? Ganging up on an 18 year old who is trying to understand, and bashing every post seems pretty darn immature. Lot's of b*****g and moaning...but are you actually taking steps to make a difference or take a stance? Do any of you head on down to the local law enforcement and become border patrol agents? Maybe a little mature discussion would help Sweden better understand what it is your trying to accomplish or expose to the world. I live so far away from those southern border states it's a whole different world to me. Sure it sucks knowing this is going on, and as a country united you are getting no help or closure from the rest of the nation it seems. But for cryin out loud, most of you sound like your 18 yo yourself. Take a minute to consider an answer or a comment that might better enlighten Sweden or myself to the issues, rather than some smart a$$ remark that does nothing for your intelligence level. If your govenors or senators won't do anything...can't you replace them?
My congressman, Pete Sessions, has a good anti-illegal record. Texas's senators have a pretty good record too.

I continue to send e-mails and faxes to my elected representatives letting them know that I support their anti-amnesty efforts and I will not vote for them if they make pro-illegal votes in Congress.
 
Old 10-08-2007, 02:45 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
3,589 posts, read 2,991,014 times
Reputation: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
Americans are not known to be good at geography. Statistics show that 1/5 of the American population cannot pinpoint the US on a map. You'll never find a person in a European country who cannot even pinpoint his/her own land. That is why there are so many movies like that on youtube about Americans. You'll never find that with any other people. That is a fact, it's not me believingthat.
I think that's a bull***** European stereotype. I have rarely met a European whom I would consider to be GOOD at geography. Any idiot can find their own country on a map, and I've never met an American who wasn't a young child or retarded or senile who could not find the United States on a map. Also, you need to realize that those movies on youtube are edited to give the impression that we're a bunch of idiots. They could ask 1,000 people the same question and they won't show the 995 who get it right; they'll show the 5 idiots. Why? Stupidity seems to delight Europeans, particularly when it's American stupidity.

Quote:
But we put it in perspectives. You think only YOU have problems with people coming to your country...
No, we don't believe that.

Quote:
The European countries take in immigrants, illegals and legals, just as you do. Only difference?
Europe is smaller then the US. Europe has a much bigger populationalready than the US.
We are therefore more at risk of over-population and will suffer more from it than you and will do so much sooner.
Immigration is taking its toll on European countries too, even if you don't want to see it when talking about your suffering.
We have illegals in Sweden too. We have legals too. And we have PLENTY of them both.
Only difference: Sweden is smaller than the US. Sweden has a smaller population than the US.
An immigrant stepping into Sweden makes a bigger difference than one stepping into the US.
Yes, we know Sweden is small. We're not stupid. I'll tell you what I love...is condescending European teenagers complaining about US being condescending. Oh, the irony.


Quote:
Let me tell you this when you say the US is more tolerant of immigrants than "Europe":
In Sweden, a site like this would be illegal. It would be regarded as hate against a minority and would be in violation with the law. It would be terminally shut down.
That's pathetic; one thing I've always hated about Europe is the lack of tolerance for different points of view. I suppose free speech doesn't mean ***** to you people, does it? Makes me almost embarrassed to be part Swedish...but then again, my Swedish ancestors had the good sense to come here.

Quote:
That's how WE feel about hate against immigrants. Legal or illegal, they still have a value. They are still HUMANS. We will still want them to get out of our country, but we will still continue to treat them as HUMANS.
Oh, that's right. The US won't agree to the Gènève convention. Oh, I'm sorry, my mistake. In US:s eyes, non-Americans aren't humans. That's why we are called ALIENS.
If you're going to try to be hoity-toity with the accent marks in the word 'Geneve', do try to get them right. It's Genève. See, I'm busting your stereotypes...I'm an American who speaks more than one language. My parents both speak only English, so I had to LEARN my other languages, too...it took effort. ZOMG! A non-conformist American! Stop the presses!

Quote:
The problem is not immigrants, legal or not. The problem is the politicians for not using the resources correctly. But, the blame falls on the easy target. That is natural and what has always been the norm, but one would like for the modern person to actually REALIZE this soon and start THINKING instead of using the easy way out.
When you get older, you'll see things from a more realistic point of view.


Quote:
People are horrible creatures, really. We want to see agony, blood and others being miserable and hateful. That's what fills our book stores, what Hollywood makes movies about.
Says you. I don't find that entertaining.

Quote:
I may only be 18 years old, but atleast I have arguments and facts for my posts. Show me yours and respond to my arguments and try to be civil doing so. Otherwise I say, "young is better, because I atleast can change my mind".
No, you don't have facts. You have stereotypes and incorrect assumptions...which to someone your age often pass for "facts". I recommend you print out your post and read it again ten years from now. Your cheeks with flame with embarrassment; trust me. We've all been there...we all had our youthful idealistic phases. You'll outgrow yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top