U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-08-2007, 03:18 PM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,728,560 times
Reputation: 2096

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
I think that's a bull***** European stereotype. I have rarely met a European whom I would consider to be GOOD at geography. Any idiot can find their own country on a map, and I've never met an American who wasn't a young child or retarded or senile who could not find the United States on a map. Also, you need to realize that those movies on youtube are edited to give the impression that we're a bunch of idiots. They could ask 1,000 people the same question and they won't show the 995 who get it right; they'll show the 5 idiots. Why? Stupidity seems to delight Europeans, particularly when it's American stupidity.



No, we don't believe that.



Yes, we know Sweden is small. We're not stupid. I'll tell you what I love...is condescending European teenagers complaining about US being condescending. Oh, the irony.




That's pathetic; one thing I've always hated about Europe is the lack of tolerance for different points of view. I suppose free speech doesn't mean ***** to you people, does it? Makes me almost embarrassed to be part Swedish...but then again, my Swedish ancestors had the good sense to come here.



If you're going to try to be hoity-toity with the accent marks in the word 'Geneve', do try to get them right. It's Genčve. See, I'm busting your stereotypes...I'm an American who speaks more than one language. My parents both speak only English, so I had to LEARN my other languages, too...it took effort. ZOMG! A non-conformist American! Stop the presses!



When you get older, you'll see things from a more realistic point of view.




Says you. I don't find that entertaining.



No, you don't have facts. You have stereotypes and incorrect assumptions...which to someone your age often pass for "facts". I recommend you print out your post and read it again ten years from now. Your cheeks with flame with embarrassment; trust me. We've all been there...we all had our youthful idealistic phases. You'll outgrow yours.

Thats is such a great post I cannot even begin to tell you!!

 
Old 10-08-2007, 04:08 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
3,589 posts, read 2,996,709 times
Reputation: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Thats is such a great post I cannot even begin to tell you!!
*bow* *curtsey*

Thanks.
 
Old 10-08-2007, 04:15 PM
 
Location: Anchorage, Alaska (most of the time)
1,222 posts, read 3,293,299 times
Reputation: 1881
Is it not great when someone actually listens and puts what you said in the context of what you actually said?
I miss that on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
I think that's a bull***** European stereotype. I have rarely met a European whom I would consider to be GOOD at geography. Any idiot can find their own country on a map, and I've never met an American who wasn't a young child or retarded or senile who could not find the United States on a map. Also, you need to realize that those movies on youtube are edited to give the impression that we're a bunch of idiots. They could ask 1,000 people the same question and they won't show the 995 who get it right; they'll show the 5 idiots. Why? Stupidity seems to delight Europeans, particularly when it's American stupidity.
And you need to realize that those movies are made by AMERICANS. Like it or not, you guys make them. It's not us. They are made by Americans, for Americans. We happen to watch them, because we see and watch what you guys do and produce.
You cannot produce anything like that in most European countries. That DOES proof that this cannot be found here. And that DOES proof something.
And I can personally vouch for the truth that Americans are not good at geography in general.
How come you try to say against me, yet continues to use the very argument I used to disprove you? You continue to say Europeans instead of talking about the nationalities that you ACTUALLY are talking about. Saying Europeans is like saying comparng apples to oranges. We are not the same! We are 47 different countries, and until you can start using the correct nationality, my case is still not dis-proven.

I have met many more Americans than you on this board, both in real life and on the Internet. One or two had had/have any clue about geography, the rest thought that Africa was ONE country, the same for Europe and Asia.
Knowing something about geography is not about knowing how to pinpoint one's own country.
And it is not only me who has this "opinion". It is a common "fact" outside the US that Americans are no good at geography. Ask ANYONE. It's the truth outside the US, because we are in average better, especially in most European countries. This is not me saying this, this is what the average non-American experiences when meeting someone from the US. I have yet to meet someone to prove me wrong, and I have yet to meet someone who has not had the same experience as I.
If you think this is b*ll, as you so eloquently put it, then how come MY experinces in THIS are WRONG, when YOUR experiences with illegals are CORRECT?
Please, just for once, think about what I am saying in the three lines above this. It is the same as I have been trying to say all along.
OTHERS are always WRONG, but YOU are always RIGHT, no matter given the same parametrars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
No, we don't believe that.
You don't believe... what?
I give you a thorrow explanation of my arguments, and you can only give me one sentence that proves nothing?

Where are the arguments for your cases? If you have none, you only prove my case, which you don't seem to understand.
You cannot win an argument of any sort without using arguments. That's the fundamental about discussing. Everyone who has grown up from being a child knows this.
Use arguments if you are going to dis-agree with me or anyone. Otherwise you can just leave it alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Yes, we know Sweden is small. We're not stupid. I'll tell you what I love...is condescending European teenagers complaining about US being condescending. Oh, the irony.
Yes, the irony. I am the young teenager who knows nothing and needs to grow up, yet I am the only one here it seems who actually uses arguments and has a case. No one here seems to have a case based on anything other than hate and hearsay. If this had been a court trial... Just think about it.

You ridicule anyone disagreeing with you, you don't read or try to understand what the poster you are quoting is saying- you only rely on the support of the others. Yes, you are in majority on this forum, I don't question that. But just because you are in majority doesn't mean you are right.
Hitler made the nazis majority in Germany. Did that make his holocaust right?
No, I am not comparing you to Hitler, I am saying that a majority can be wrong.
And I had something to back it up with.
Give me some arguments now. This is no discussion if only one side uses arguments while the other one is just bashing the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
That's pathetic; one thing I've always hated about Europe is the lack of tolerance for different points of view. I suppose free speech doesn't mean ***** to you people, does it? Makes me almost embarrassed to be part Swedish...but then again, my Swedish ancestors had the good sense to come here.
Then, what about me? I'm Swedish, and I'm coming there. You have two alternatives here:
1. You can, on the basis of what you said, say that I therefore, on the basis of what you said, am ok and that I too have a good sense. This will give more support to my views.
2. You can agree that just because someone is from one place of origin, it doesn't mean that this person will be like everyone else. This will give more support to my case. Not everyone of the same origin are the same.

Free speech is great. We have more than you do. You have censorship, we don't. We do not, however, endorse bashing that is only about spreading the hate against a minority or a people. That is not about free speech.

If you love free speech so much, how come you have all these "bleeps!" in your shows?
People being shut up by your own government?
The US was once known for being the place of free speech, but that is no longer how the world perceives you. Step down from your high horses for once and realize that the US is not the only place in the world with liberties, free speech, good way of living etc.
Most Western countries have the same and even better. Sweden is the most democratic country in the world, followed by other European countries. The US is far back on place 17.
You are not better than us, stop believing that. We don't think we're better than you. Sure, we are patriotic too, but we don't look down at other countries and think "they are no good. They don't even have the basics for democratic living."
We know other countries do, and believing something like that will only make you the "village fool".

You hate "Europe" for "lack of tolerance". Give me examples. In what way has what country shown that it does not tolerate something?
Again, give examples. You can never prove a thing without arguments and examples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
If you're going to try to be hoity-toity with the accent marks in the word 'Geneve', do try to get them right. It's Genčve. See, I'm busting your stereotypes...I'm an American who speaks more than one language. My parents both speak only English, so I had to LEARN my other languages, too...it took effort. ZOMG! A non-conformist American! Stop the presses!
Oh, sorry. I did not get the accent marks correct. So what? I speak French too, it doesn't prove anything. I make mistakes in Swedish and English too. Everyone makes mistakes like that. Nothing has been proven by trying to put me down by saying "haha! You got this wrong!"
I am only 18, as you keep pointing out, but in arguing, I do seem to know more than some here.
Attack arguments, not posters.

So what you speak another language? I have not said NOT A SINGLE AMERICAN speaks other languages. I know you do. And I have also said so. There is another thread about "1 out of 5 Americans speaks another language than English at home". You are a country of immigrants. Would that be strange?
Other languages are not taught like here though. There is no emphazis on learning other languages in the US as it is here. In most European countries, we HAVE TO learn other languages, or we won't be able to graduate.
Sorry, you got an F in English. That means summer school or another year in that grade.
And you have to learn a THIRD language in Sweden.
And if you study the same program as I, you have to learn a FOURTH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
When you get older, you'll see things from a more realistic point of view.
I would say by the post you quoted that I have already shown more realistic views than you have. Did you actually read what I wrote? It doesn't seem like it. If you had, you would have said something about the content, not something condescending and totally anonymous that can be applied, by the common practice on this forum, anywhere as a disagreeing -sentence.
Give me examples.
Prove me wrong with arguments.
I can say the same things you say here, but that will in no way prove anything and nothing will be said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Says you. I don't find that entertaining.
Wow! That's all I'm saying. Wow!
I made this up, all by myself.
Only I hold this point of view.
I have on my own fabricated thousands of articles about this that has made millions of people all over the world think accordingly.
You must say I am pretty good, don't you agree?

And I am the one who needs to grown up and see things more realisticly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
No, you don't have facts. You have stereotypes and incorrect assumptions...which to someone your age often pass for "facts". I recommend you print out your post and read it again ten years from now. Your cheeks with flame with embarrassment; trust me. We've all been there...we all had our youthful idealistic phases. You'll outgrow yours.
They are not stereotypes. I have based much of what I have said on personal encounters and other people's points of views.
If I am wrong by using this kind of information, then so are you about immigrants. It is the same thing here. We have used the same things to base our points of views on. Personal meetings, other people's meetings and statistics.
Say I am wrong, and per definition, you are wrong.


I only hope you will do the same. Read what you have written in a couple of years time, and I hope with all of my heart that you will have grown up and changed your views.
I have not done anyting wrong here. I have advocated peace and understanding and trying to look at things from different points of views. I have used arguments, examples, statistics.

I have done the same as you.
I am wrong - you are right.
Same parametrars - different outcomes.
I am in minority here - you are in majority.
I do not expect you to understand what I am trying to say here, since you have clearly failed before.

I have answered your arguments, but you have yet to answer mine.
You are going around my points, ignoring and distorting. You are ignoring my strongest points and arguments that are too difficult to argue against, and instead you are attacking portions, taken out of their contexts.

Yes, I admit I have used some bad words here, but I have not started it, nor have I been the worse. I do not want to do it, so please don't do it to me. I will respond, because I am human and driven by human reactions. I do not however want to do this, so please argue against my arguments but try not to disagree with me with arguments attacking my origin.
I have the right to an opinion, eventhough I am not an American.

I have written my posts to be read all or nothing. So quote me, all or nothing. Don't try to disprove me by mis-quoting. You will accomplish nothing.

Please, let's have an intelligent discussion here.
Let's all agree not to take any notice of the poster's age, origin or personality. If you have a case, you won't need to attack someone who holds a different opinion.
If we disagree with someone, explain why. Use examples and arguments, not just a few words.
Let's all try to put ourselves in the other posters points of views. If quoting someone we disagree with, let's try to think like this person and try to understand what this person in particular is trying to say.
Let's all be civil and not use any attacks on a poster.
If we want to disprove someting, we won't use "me", "I", "myself" as proofs that disproves a poster's whole point. One person doesn't make a people.

It is very frustrating to try to make a point, when no one wants to listen. I have the right to speak my mind on this forum too, or as you say - vent. If you don't like it, then don't respond. Don't try to make me less of a person just because you don't have an argument yet feel like disagreeing.
 
Old 10-08-2007, 04:21 PM
 
Location: In an illegal immigrant free part of the country.
2,087 posts, read 1,061,248 times
Reputation: 382
Recently in the news they are now saying there are 38 million illegal immigrants (broken link) in this country. 38 MILLION!

America is not the only country that has had enough of immigrants. A country who's loyalty is divided is not only weak it is dangerous. Switzerland is now on the bandwagon to say enough is enough. The majority of the immigrants today have no intention of assimilating or being loyal to America first and as citizens we need to rise up and fight this like our life depended on it.
 
Old 10-08-2007, 04:26 PM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,728,560 times
Reputation: 2096
It seems that from that post I am getting a YOU are BETTER than US mentality. The You being Europeans and Us being the Americans ,well honestly I dont think many could handle what I have to say on that subject. I have yet to see any FACTS from you more like opinions. Please post some documented facts for your points and we will discuss them, not just because you said so. BTW I know geography and three languages.
 
Old 10-08-2007, 04:27 PM
 
Location: Anchorage, Alaska (most of the time)
1,222 posts, read 3,293,299 times
Reputation: 1881
Again, the OP said nothing about illegals not trying to assimilate.

The OP was talking about immigrants trying to assimilate.

Let's discuss immigrants trying to assimilate rather than illegals not trying to.
 
Old 10-08-2007, 04:29 PM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,728,560 times
Reputation: 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
Again, the OP said nothing about illegals not trying to assimilate.

The OP was talking about immigrants trying to assimilate.

Let's discuss immigrants trying to assimilate rather than illegals not trying to.
I think the majority of legal immigrants do assimilate, I know my grandparents did and most of the legal immigrants I have met over the years are very willing to make America a part of their lives.
 
Old 10-08-2007, 04:32 PM
 
Location: In an illegal immigrant free part of the country.
2,087 posts, read 1,061,248 times
Reputation: 382
Sweden it looks like your real agenda is to insult Americans and yet you want to come here and reap the benefits of America?

As far as free speech goes it is foul speech that is bleeped and you are right Europe is all for anything raunchy and vulgar on TV and now our cable programs are following Europe’s trend. This is not an improvement. I think you will also find that many European countries are not as tolerant as you would like to have everyone believe, hence all the riots from immigrants that are kicked to the side with low paying jobs.
 
Old 10-08-2007, 04:33 PM
 
Location: In an illegal immigrant free part of the country.
2,087 posts, read 1,061,248 times
Reputation: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
It seems that from that post I am getting a YOU are BETTER than US mentality. The You being Europeans and Us being the Americans ,well honestly I dont think many could handle what I have to say on that subject. I have yet to see any FACTS from you more like opinions. Please post some documented facts for your points and we will discuss them, not just because you said so. BTW I know geography and three languages.
Agreed. The intent is clear.
 
Old 10-08-2007, 04:41 PM
 
Location: Anchorage, Alaska (most of the time)
1,222 posts, read 3,293,299 times
Reputation: 1881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
It seems that from that post I am getting a YOU are BETTER than US mentality. The You being Europeans and Us being the Americans ,well honestly I dont think many could handle what I have to say on that subject. I have yet to see any FACTS from you more like opinions. Please post some documented facts for your points and we will discuss them, not just because you said so. BTW I know geography and three languages.
Like I have said- I used the same origins to collect "facts" as you have about immigrants. I am wrong, yet you are right.

We are discussing what YOU THINK, without facts, yet ME doing the same as YOU is incorrect. I most use hard core facts, whilst you can rely on hearsay and personal encounters.

I am responding in the same way as you are. So what I say, you say. I agree what I say sounds harsh, but so does what you say about "Europeans" to me.
Perspective, people.

Don't list what you know. Read what I have already said about that. That is my opinion, and from what you also post, so is yours.

Let's discuss the OP's topic. This is de-railing and off-topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top