U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 07:48 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,840,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Best to see the qualifications for yourself (starting on page 1): http://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/governm...nce_063011.pdf

She titled it as "ILLEGAL ALIENS ON WELFARE DOUBLES UNDER BARACK OBAMA REGIME", when the article stated that "legal non-citizens" doubled under SNAP...

When this topic was originally brought up, I did learn something: I thought my family wouldn't qualify yet, but it is only my eldest stepdaughter in that category (my younger stepchildren are still minors, and are "legally present", my wife can qualify from work-quarters that I have done), although her daughter (as a U.S. citizen, and that is not the assumption as you would like to think) does...

Not that we would apply (our income is too high anyway), just saying...
All it takes is a birth -- your oldest stepdaughter would be given food stamps if she were to give birth.

My neighbors were an illegal couple with four kids (last count) and were living off just about every government handout program -- and also were getting a hefty EITC check - but that took some cheating which I'm sure is very common. They most definitely were getting food stamps and also free meals for the children at the school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
Yes -- it doesn't take too much to figure out that millions of people pouring over the border who never made it beyond third grade in their own country, cannot learn English, couldn't survive in their own country with a very low costs of living can come here and have much larger family sizes than Americans could afford with our very high costs of living are getting all kinds of government help.

Imagine going to a country with a much higher cost of living and you can't speak the language and didn't finish 3rd grade and you're already pregnant. You woudn't do that if having to work for your living was going to be your only means of support.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:43 AM

5,302 posts, read 4,020,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
All it takes is a birth -- your oldest stepdaughter would be given food stamps if she were to give birth...
She did give birth, and did not attempt to qualify for SNAP based on the U.S. citizenship of her daughter...

I'm going to give your other comments the response they need:

Old 10-04-2012, 08:53 AM

2,477 posts, read 1,715,868 times
Quote:
Best to see the qualifications for yourself (starting on page 1): http://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/governm...nce_063011.pdf

She titled it as "ILLEGAL ALIENS ON WELFARE DOUBLES UNDER BARACK OBAMA REGIME", when the article stated that "legal non-citizens" doubled under SNAP...
I see, you didn't answer my questions, instead you deflect to the qualifications, which was already stated.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:43 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,836,058 times
Quote:
Got to love Republicans for never complaining when the Bush II administration started the program, and had at least four times the meetings between the USDA and Mexican officials in the same amount of time...

You also missed a key term in your titling of the topic:

Legal non-citizen means Legal Permanent Resident (and by the program's common qualification, required to be in that status for a minimum of five years), whom are not illegal aliens...

But you misquoted Senator Sessions in your titling, defining all "non-citizens" in the article as illegal aliens ("ILLEGAL ALIENS ON WELFARE DOUBLE UNDER BARACK OBAMA REGIME"):

To whit:

This topic is not about illegal immigration...

It must have been because it said "Mexican"...
Why should Obama or any U.S. president need to meet with members of the Mexican government regarding U.S. tax-funded benefits for Mexican "non-citizens" here legally or illegally? Why the hell isn't Mexico sending funds here to support its needy citizens?

Furthermore, as I have said umpteen times, if they can't remain here without being a public charge, they need to return home. Five years is not a long time. In fact, they shouldn't be granted an immigration visa if they will ultimately become a burden to taxpayers. It's a damn shame that Mexico has dumped its underclass on the hardworking taxpayers of this country. I'm sick of it. Despite the fact that we can't even take care of our own needy citizens, we have this unnecessary burden. When will Mexico grow up?

Quote:
For purposes of determining inadmissibility, “public charge” means an individual who is likely to become primarily dependent on the government for subsistence, as demonstrated by either the receipt of public cash assistance for income maintenance or institutionalization for long-term care at government expense.

Under Section 212(a)(4) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), an individual seeking admission to the United States or seeking to adjust status to that of an individual lawfully admitted for permanent residence (green card) is inadmissible if the individual, "at the time of application for admission or adjustment of status, is likely at any time to become a public charge." Public charge does not apply in naturalization proceedings. If an individual is inadmissible, admission to the United States or adjustment of status is not granted.
USCIS - Public Charge

Old 10-04-2012, 03:44 PM

9,243 posts, read 7,115,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
This is why its 12+ million illegals here. Mostly poor illegal leeching of Americans.

Why do I pay taxes again??

Old 10-04-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
This is why its 12+ million illegals here. Mostly poor illegal leeching of Americans.

Why do I pay taxes again??
Not exactly poor -- but yes leeching off taxpayers. It can be very convenient to have all that undocumented income. No taxes, no child support obligations -- so not only can they live very nicely here, they can send what money they do make back to their country.

Remittances to Mexico rise nearly 5 pct | Fox News Latino

Remittances up in 2012 -- as they were in 2011. Yet -- more illegals are getting food stamps than ever.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:27 AM

1,150 posts, read 992,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Why should Obama or any U.S. president need to meet with members of the Mexican government regarding U.S. tax-funded benefits for Mexican "non-citizens" here legally or illegally? Why the hell isn't Mexico sending funds here to support its needy citizens?

Furthermore, as I have said umpteen times, if they can't remain here without being a public charge, they need to return home. Five years is not a long time. In fact, they shouldn't be granted an immigration visa if they will ultimately become a burden to taxpayers. It's a damn shame that Mexico has dumped its underclass on the hardworking taxpayers of this country. I'm sick of it. Despite the fact that we can't even take care of our own needy citizens, we have this unnecessary burden. When will Mexico grow up?

USCIS - Public Charge
Absolutely. Anyone who is a non-citizen legal resident needs to be sent home if they can't live without govrnment assistance, regardless of what type of visa, or residency status they hold. If they can't support themselves, they're no benefit to this country. It's bad enough we have to support illegal alien families, and I challenge anyone to tell me the illegal parents, and other siblings, don't benefit from the social services anchor babies receive.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:56 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,426,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post

USCIS - Public Charge
Mexico will never grow up unless and until the US stops propping it up in order to make it appear that Mexico is a fully functioning, independent country.

Last edited by PurpleRain_1; 10-07-2012 at 12:10 PM..

Old 10-07-2012, 12:12 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,426,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes -- it doesn't take too much to figure out that millions of people pouring over the border who never made it beyond third grade in their own country, cannot learn English, couldn't survive in their own country with a very low costs of living can come here and have much larger family sizes than Americans could afford with our very high costs of living are getting all kinds of government help.

Imagine going to a country with a much higher cost of living and you can't speak the language and didn't finish 3rd grade and you're already pregnant. You woudn't do that if having to work for your living was going to be your only means of support.
Agreed. I'm sure that after giving birth to numerous anchor babies, for them living here illegally is the equivalent of hitting the lottery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or