U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-04-2012, 09:17 AM
 
9,243 posts, read 7,097,724 times
Reputation: 2199

Advertisements



No we should be demonizing the law breaker. Nothing wrong with our laws.

Quote:
“I know a lot of people would immigrate legally if the process wasn’t so convoluted, so bureaucratic, so expensive,” Espino said. “If there was a more successful way to immigrate legally, it would go a long way towards solving the issue.”
Its not meant for everyone to come here. This is just a lack of respect for our country & system & a reason they are looking for to break our laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-04-2012, 09:39 AM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
1,164 posts, read 1,277,029 times
Reputation: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post


No we should be demonizing the law breaker. Nothing wrong with our laws.



Its not meant for everyone to come here. This is just a lack of respect for our country & system & a reason they are looking for to break our laws.
That last part about the legalization process being expensive is laughable considering I have heard cases of illegals raising $5,000-10,000 dollars to be able to pay coyotes that help them cross the border. I highly doubt going through the legal way would cost much more than that; I do agree that the process is quite slow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2012, 10:09 AM
 
9,243 posts, read 7,097,724 times
Reputation: 2199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
That last part about the legalization process being expensive is laughable considering I have heard cases of illegals raising $5,000-10,000 dollars to be able to pay coyotes that help them cross the border. I highly doubt going through the legal way would cost much more than that; I do agree that the process is quite slow.

It depends on the way you are immigrating here. Some are more prioritized than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2012, 11:35 AM
 
31,471 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Reputation: 8350
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post


No we should be demonizing the law breaker. Nothing wrong with our laws.



Its not meant for everyone to come here. This is just a lack of respect for our country & system & a reason they are looking for to break our laws.
What this person is essentially saying is that we should have no immigration quotas. Whoever wants to come here legally should be able to (at a reasonable cost) whether we need them or not. How does that make any sense? So if someone isn't needed in our country and they come illegally anyway we should just bring them out of the shadows and legalize them? Are they kidding?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2012, 12:44 PM
 
Location: North Texas
23,599 posts, read 31,143,716 times
Reputation: 26656
Here's the deal...most of these illegals would not qualify to immigrate here in basically any category except for maybe a migrant worker visa. If they have family ties here, the visa...if they qualify for it...could take 5-25 years to process.

For most of these people, there is no getting in line. And you know what?

BIG FAT HAIRY DEAL

If there's not a way for you to immigrate here legally, TAKE THE HINT AND STAY PUT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2012, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Guerrero-Meneses came to the United States from Mexico with his parents when he was two years old on a tourist visa meant for a wedding. They never left, and once the visa expired, they couldn’t renew it. That’s when they became undocumented.
This is such BS. Their visa was issued under the false pretense of attending a wedding, and they know it. They left Mexico intending to never return, like millions of others who use tourist visas to scam the system. Who leaves their home and belongings to attend a wedding, and then suddenly choose to stay? Do they actually think people are stupid enough to believe such nonsense? I have attended countless weddings, some were even in fabulous locations, but I never decided to remain there and not return home. Heck, I only brought enough clothes for the trip. I certainly didn't bring all of my personal belongings. But then, who does?

Naturally, they couldn't "renew" their visa originally issued for a brief visit. Furthermore, I doubt they even tried. Yet, they believe they should be rewarded for their flagrant dishonesty with legal status and a path to citizenship. Please.

Quote:
“Instead of demonizing the person, look at how messed up the law is, that so many people are having to do this,” Mary said. “I hope that DACA will lead the way to another step up.”
Are other laws also messed up? After all, we have prisons full of criminals guilty of violating myriad laws. I didn't realize if "so many people" are violating a law it's an indication the law is flawed. Who knew?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2012, 01:33 PM
 
31,471 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Reputation: 8350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
This is such BS. Their visa was issued under the false pretense of attending a wedding, and they know it. They left Mexico intending to never return, like millions of others who use tourist visas to scam the system. Who leaves their home and belongings to attend a wedding, and then suddenly choose to stay? Do they actually think people are stupid enough to believe such nonsense? I have attended countless weddings, some were even in fabulous locations, but I never decided to remain there and not return home. Heck, I only brought enough clothes for the trip. I certainly didn't bring all of my personal belongings. But then, who does?

Naturally, they couldn't "renew" their visa originally issued for a brief visit. Furthermore, I doubt they even tried. Yet, they believe they should be rewarded for their flagrant dishonesty with legal status and a path to citizenship. Please.



Are other laws also messed up? After all, we have prisons full of criminals guilty of violating myriad laws. I didn't realize if "so many people" are violating a law it's an indication the law is flawed. Who knew?
I have often heard the supporters of illegal immigrants say just that. Apparently our immigration laws are flawed if anyone and everyone can't come here just because they want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2012, 02:49 PM
 
9,243 posts, read 7,097,724 times
Reputation: 2199
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Here's the deal...most of these illegals would not qualify to immigrate here in basically any category except for maybe a migrant worker visa. If they have family ties here, the visa...if they qualify for it...could take 5-25 years to process.

For most of these people, there is no getting in line. And you know what?

BIG FAT HAIRY DEAL

If there's not a way for you to immigrate here legally, TAKE THE HINT AND STAY PUT.
And its not meant for them all come here. Just like we all can't be rich. Its impossible.

Since someone can't be rich, they should steal to become rich?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2012, 07:10 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Reputation: 22158
By far the majority of legal immigrants are coming from Mexico. That's not enough for these people, they want UNLIMITED immigration, they want no restrictions of any kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2012, 11:19 AM
 
Location: San Diego
32,798 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Reputation: 17687
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
By far the majority of legal immigrants are coming from Mexico. That's not enough for these people, they want UNLIMITED immigration, they want no restrictions of any kind.
And they say Americans have entitlement attitude. These people win hands down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top