U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 11:47 AM

10,017 posts, read 16,694,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
Following is a list of observances typically covered by the Census Bureau's Facts for Features series:

African-American History Month (February)
Valentine's Day (Feb. 14)
Women's History Month (March)
Irish-American Heritage Month (March)/
St. Patrick's Day (March 17)
Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month (May)
Older Americans Month (May)
Mother's Day (May 13)
Father's Day (June 17)
The Fourth of July (July 4)
Anniversary of Americans
with Disabilities Act (July 26) Back to School (August)
Labor Day (Sept. 4)
Grandparents Day (Sept. 9)
Hispanic Heritage Month (Sept. 15-Oct. 15)
Halloween (Oct. 31)
American Indian/Alaska Native Heritage
Month (November)
Veterans Day (Nov. 11)
Thanksgiving Day (Nov. 22)
The Holiday Season (December)

US Census Press Releases (http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/facts_for_features_special_editions/009714.html - broken link)
Again thats all great but where is it ever advertised, I have lived in America 37 years and have never seen an advertisement for anything Irish or German related. But all day long hispanic heritage month, ads on tv, newspapers, radio billboards.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:48 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 24 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,470,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
And where exactly have any of us seen these other than, African_American month and Hispanic heritage month. You NEVER see Irish or German heritage months advertised and put on bill boards and TV.
One of the biggest celebrations in America is St. Patties Day, I think people wear green and lot's of beer ads run with clovers .

Germans... according to the Census.gov it is not observed.

I think it comes down to education and awareness on what the government and businesses run the most.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:49 AM

520 posts, read 1,694,048 times
Oktoberfest is a pretty big deal in Cincinnati. This area has a large population of German descent.

St Patrick's day is a pretty big deal around the country as well. Its not a month but its something. Everyone pretends they're Irish for at least a day.

How about a day for us plain old English-Americans? I guess we aren't exciting enough with our bad teeth and bland food.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:50 AM

But all the meaning and history is lost, it is just another reason to drink and party. No educating about it, just little guys in green hats and tights. Yea thats what the Irish are all about.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeMadArthur View Post
Oktoberfest is a pretty big deal in Cincinnati. This area has a large population of German descent.

St Patrick's day is a pretty big deal around the country as well. Its not a month but its something. Everyone pretends they're Irish for at least a day.

How about a day for us plain old English-Americans? I guess we aren't exciting enough with our bad teeth and bland food.
Actually, I would be very interested in learning more about the English other than the revolutionary war and the bad teeth thing, I have seen some Americans that could fight you for that title!!!!

Old 10-08-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
But all the meaning and history is lost, it is just another reason to drink and party. No educating about it, just little guys in green hats and tights. Yea thats what the Irish are all about.
That is what it has been reduced to...
Americans do the same thing on Cinco de mayo, which is like no big deal in Mexico itself.

I doubt a new generation American even knows about the potato famine or Saint Patrick himself.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:58 AM

3,886 posts, read 5,995,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeMadArthur View Post

April 23 is St George Day. He's the patron saint of England and a few other places from what I've heard. You ought to start a campaign!:-)

Old 10-08-2007, 11:59 AM

It is really all about what can be capitalized on in America.

African-American, Hispanic, Cinco De Mayo, St. Patricks day..Make money.

Jewish, German, Asian-Pacific...well I guess not.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
That is what it has been reduced to...
Americans do the same thing on Cinco de mayo, which is like no big deal in Mexico itself.

I doubt a new generation American even knows about the potato famine or Saint Patrick himself.
Here the Cinco De mayo is a huge event with educational stands and craft creations from the local hispanic artists.
And no I doubt anyone knows anything about the potato famine or the real St. Patrick.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:26 PM

3,886 posts, read 5,995,057 times
We definately need to know more about St Patrick beyond the shamrocks and the green beer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration