U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 08:35 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,012,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
...Just the statement alone that Mexico is the second trading partner with the United States should be able to make the case. $232 billion per year in 2002, $268 billion in 2005 (a later report is at http://www.migrationpolicy.org/pubs/...exico_1005.pdf). You're being amazingly cavalier to an economy that most likely increased from the numbers shown here.

A desire for a Korean-style border and economic relations between Mexico and the United States gains us nothing, and likely would make things much worse. Why don't you think that our relationship with Mexico can't be shaped into something like we have with Canada? A disparity across a border always bleeds, we need to help that economy with legitimate trade, and shift it away from being based on drugs and migrants.

The economy has shown itself to being the biggest factor affecting migration, this topic was started on that notion, and the evidence is all around us...
Presidential Candidate Romney, Third Debate:

Quote:
Number two, we're going to increase our trade. Trade grows about 12 percent year. It doubles about every -- every five or so years. We can do better than that, particularly in Latin America. The opportunities for us in Latin America we have just not taken advantage of fully. As a matter of fact, Latin America's economy is almost as big as the economy of China. We're all focused on China. Latin America is a huge opportunity for us -- time zone, language opportunities.

I'm proud of the members liking a guy that wants more trade with Latin America...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 08:47 PM

31,500 posts, read 14,580,770 times
Quote:
Presidential Candidate Romney, Third Debate:

I'm proud of the members liking a guy that wants more trade with Latin America...
Of course you are. If Latin America's economy is so great then why are so many from south of our border coming here? I didn't understand Romney's remark about language opportunites either. I don't know of anyone who agrees entirely with the candidate of their choice on all the issues.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Of course you are. If Latin America's economy is so great then why are so many from south of our border coming here? I didn't understand Romney's remark about language opportunites either. I don't know of anyone who agrees entirely with the candidate of their choice on all the issues.
Romney is the real wildcard on illegal immigration, he could go either way (as he has before)...

And if he wins the election, within the year we will be at war with Iran, believe me (he sees himself as one to lead the new Crusades)...

I'd put money on it, but it is more of the long shot to actually get elected...

Old 10-23-2012, 09:28 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,722,338 times
Quote:
Our money and our jobs -- that's what makes them so well off. Remittances are something like $2 billion a month and look how many millions of jobs went south with NAFTA.

It's not so much that our economy is really great though or that theirs is bad. Even with their great economies, they don't offer free health care, food stamps, free housing and so on. In those countries, people have to work for what they want, but here our social safety nets including free meals in the schools beats everything. In Mexico for example, public schools are free but parents have to buy supplies like paper and pens, here they're given free iPads and all supplies are given to them.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:51 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,290,347 times
Quote:
An irony about your statement is that illicit drug usage in Mexico is low, the Mexican cartels have a much more profitable U.S. market that they focus on. The "corruption" is subjective, and we have little room to judge them on it (you'll get a Michael Corleone quote back from me). In no way is Mexico "dependent" on the United States or any remittances, although President Calderon is correct to say when the United States sneezes, Mexico catches a cold.

You'll need to see Mexico for yourself rather than believing what "malamute" says...

Here is data that is almost nine years old, but shows the North American economies relationship to one another: http://www.migrationpolicy.org/pubs/...ct%20sheet.pdf

"Close the border" (singular, referring to a specific area) is such an outdated concept. It shows you are willing to throw out the legitimate traffic and trade with the bad. I'm suggesting something that is ultimately less costly, more beneficial, and ends the status quo of having somewhere around 11 million illegal aliens present in the United States.

Nothing "outdated" about closing the border with Mexico to keep illegal aliens OUT of the US. It's time to do it and deport any illegal caught and send them home. Hispanic or NOT Hispanic.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Romney is the real wildcard on illegal immigration, he could go either way (as he has before)...

And if he wins the election, within the year we will be at war with Iran, believe me (he sees himself as one to lead the new Crusades)...

I'd put money on it, but it is more of the long shot to actually get elected...
All of this about Romney is pure speculation. At least we already know what Obama has done and will do about illegal immigration and it is not in our nation's best interest. Add to that our trilions in debt, the bad economy and high unemployment and I will take a chance on the wildcard instead.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
All of this about Romney is pure speculation. At least we already know what Obama has done and will do about illegal immigration and it is not in our nation's best interest...
I find much of this statement ironic, President Obama is maligned so much on this forum by pure speculation, when Romney will be very close to Bush II on immigration policy - We saw where that got us...

Quote:
...Add to that our trilions in debt, the bad economy and high unemployment and I will take a chance on the wildcard instead.
If it comes to it, you will find out Romney will mismanage the economy worse than you ever thought possible...

Old 10-24-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
I find much of this statement ironic, President Obama is maligned so much on this forum by pure speculation, when Romney will be very close to Bush II on immigration policy - We saw where that got us...

If it comes to it, you will find out Romney will mismanage the economy worse than you ever thought possible...
Really, what pure speculation about Obama has been posted on this forum? I only deal with facts myself.

Regardless of where Bush stood on immigration policy his attempt at passing an amnesty went down in flames in congress. So that got us what we wanted for the time being anyway. Obama however decided to bypass congress to get his way.

More speculation on your part about what Romney will do about the economy. I already know that under Obama we increased our debt by trillions, have a bad economy with millions of Americans out of work. Repeating the same mistake with the facts right out there makes no sense at all.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Really, what pure speculation about Obama has been posted on this forum? I only deal with facts myself...
Stop, this is about the highest level of humor I can take today...

Old 10-24-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Stop, this is about the highest level of humor I can take today...
Perhaps the mods might not find you so humorous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or