Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 10:16 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
According to the Mexican government our Border Patrol using a lethal weapon to defend themselves from a lethal weapon attack by Mexicans is not justified.

From the article:

"The Mexican government has repeatedly expressed that the disproportionate use of lethal force in the exercising of immigration control functions is unacceptable under ANY circumstance," the foreign ministry said Wednesday, calling for a thorough investigation.
Uh; Mexico, please KEEP your people IN Mexico except at checkpoints. Sheesh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 10:57 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,845,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; Mexico, please KEEP your people IN Mexico except at checkpoints. Sheesh!
Carlos La Madrid was a U.S. citizen:

Quote:
The mother of a 19-year-old man fatally shot in the back by a U.S. Border Patrol agent has sued the federal government and the agent himself, claiming it was "an appalling use of excessive force" because her son was unarmed, had his back to the agent and posed no threat.

I guess the Mexican government is also supposed to prevent Mexicans from have birthday parties and barbeques on their side of the river too, to avoid tragedies like what happened to Guillermo Arévalo Pedroza?...

Old 10-15-2012, 11:49 AM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Didn't U.S. Congressman Silvestre Reyes (from El Paso) also say these cases "pose questions regarding the appropriate use of force and actions of the U.S. Border Patrol" and that they should be "appropriately investigated"? He was in the Border Patrol for 26 years. Which article are you quoting? Two of the incidents had video that didn't show rock being thrown, and the case of Anastasio Hernandez Rojas wasn't reported that way by the Border Patrol.
You know as well as I do that the ethnic group sticks together right or wrong. It transcends both of our borders whether one is U.S. citizen or one is a Mexican national. So congressmen Reyes' views do not surprise me. However, in all fairness yes these incidents do need investigating to determine that there was no foul play involved. But everytime one of these incidents happen the Border Patrol gets accused of wrongdoing by Mexico and those of same ethnic group or ties to that group itself do likewise. Mexico has no right to tell us that our Border Patrol can't defend themselves from lethal force within our borders or beyond them. On another note Mexico is constantly butting into our political affairs and laws in regards to their citizens here illegally.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:52 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,664,523 times
Quote:

I guess the Mexican government is also supposed to prevent Mexicans from have birthday parties and barbeques on their side of the river too, to avoid tragedies like what happened to Guillermo Arévalo Pedroza?...

Maybe they should if they are going to throw rocks at law enforcement.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
First, that is totally off topic, but I will respond. Shame on you. How sad you have to use that as a comparison. Reporters know the risks and take the risks when they decide to go into a war zone. On top of their being their our soldiers have to protect them. Our soldiers become their personal body guards. Namer and Saeed, along with the citizens, died as a result of an air-strike. Our military are not perfect and **** happens, bad intel happens. Exactly how would those in the air know that reporters were in the area? It's not as if an American soldier had them in his site and pulled the trigger. We have lost many US soldiers in every war from friendly fire...
The "airstrike" was from Apache "Gunships", so yeah, a soldier sighted in the 30-mm armor-piercing rounds. On the Wikileaked video they questioned the delay from their command to engage: "Come on, let us shoot!". The Army also had pictures of "weapons" supposedly by the bodies (before the video came out a couple years later), how truthful would their account of the incident be in hindsight?

This is "the fog of war" people refer to, just like it tragically was for Border Patrol officer Nicolas Ivie, firing on fellow agents...

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
...Every person who is not a US citizen and steps up and voluntarily enlists and fights for this country, knowing they could be making the ultimate sacrifice, should get immediate citizenship at the same time their honorable discharge is signed, along with his/her wife/husband and children. If they should die serving this country, making the utlimate sacrifice, their family (again husband/wife, children) should be given citizenship and the benefits that would go to every American in the same circumstance. That's my personal opinion.
Immigrant U.S. servicemembers already have a fast-tracked, cost-free naturalization process...

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Do you think it was justified?
I think it was "the fog of war". At 2:38 in the video, a boy makes a sound with an aluminum bat that would have been heard above the engine of the airboat. Their posture seems to change (the person filming the video runs towards the river to warn her family) and shots are fired at 2:52 in the video.

I believe there wasn't any rock throwing for the Border Patrol to justify that as an excuse...

Old 10-15-2012, 11:54 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:

Don't throw rocks, don't get shot.

This goes for ALL young dudes: DON'T act stupid especially near ANY cop; you'll be safer.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:55 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,664,523 times
Quote:
The "airstrike" was from Apache "Gunships", so yeah, a soldier sighted in the 30-mm armor-piercing rounds. On the Wikileaked video they questioned the delay from their command to engage: "Come on, let us shoot!". The Army also had pictures of "weapons" supposedly by the bodies (before the video came out a couple years later), how truthful would their account of the incident be in hindsight?

This is "the fog of war" people refer to, just like it tragically was for Border Patrol officer Nicolas Ivie, firing on fellow agents...

Immigrant U.S. servicemembers already have a fast-tracked, cost-free naturalization process...

I think it was "the fog of war". At 2:38 in the video, a boy makes a sound with an aluminum bat that would have been heard above the engine of the airboat. Their posture seems to change (the person filming the video runs towards the river to warn her family) and shots are fired at 2:52 in the video.

I believe there wasn't any rock throwing for the Border Patrol to justify that as an excuse...
You have to remember the officer felt he was under attack. Often these illegals or migrants are armed & trafficking. The officer felt he was under attack & had to defend himself.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Maybe they should if they are going to throw rocks at law enforcement.
No one here has told me where I can see in the video that Guillermo Arévalo Pedroza or any of his family throwing rocks at Border Patrol agents on their airboat...

Old 10-15-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:

No, Mexicans need to stop throwing rocks at our Border Patrol whether they are having a birthday party or not. There is no reason to believe that our Border Patrol would shoot a Mexican national on his side of the border or ours unless they had reason to.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:

For the 4th time why would a Border Patrol agent just shoot a Mexican national for no reason? What would be his motive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration