Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 11:17 AM

457 posts, read 431,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
There has been countless stories of Illegal Immigrants dying in Iraq for the United States yet the Government deports their families once their time is served or they end up dying.
The OP posted it in the first post of this thread!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 11:23 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
So the basic premise for your thread, that illegal immigrant soldiers are fighting and dying in Iraq is incorrect. Since you have subsequently linked to a legitimate issue, I'll keep the thread open, but will change the title to accurately reflect the subject.
And that was subsequently corrected in the thread, hope this helps clarify the thread intent.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:18 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,045,020 times
This has always been an issue for American soldiers who have served in our wars. They have given up their lives for our country but yet they live in constant instability because their families could be deported at any time.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:52 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Do they serve in order to buy a visa or do they serve out of a sense of duty?
What crimes shall we forgive if the criminal serves in our military?
Speeding tickets? Robbery? DUI? Rape? Murder? Where does one draw the line?

Old 11-11-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Do they serve in order to buy a visa or do they serve out of a sense of duty?
What crimes shall we forgive if the criminal serves in our military?
Speeding tickets? Robbery? DUI? Rape? Murder? Where does one draw the line?
Tinman, those are all really good questions. I would suggest starting a new thread for that but I will give you my thoughts on that.

Do they serve for the purpose of getting legalized? I believe that some do. Some that I know did it because they felt they did not want to be stuck working in the fields or behind a desk. They wanted something challenging.

I dont see any difference with those that serve only because they want the government to give them grants for their education but dont really understand the meaning of loyalty. Lots of people do it for different reasons...the fact is...they served and they put their lives on the line for our country. For that sole purpose, I think they should be given legalization.

What crimes do we forgive? I dont care about speeding tickets. Anyone can break those laws...not a big deal. I dont accept robbery, murder, rape or any kind of violent crime. I would not even accept DUIs myself. However, to the immigration courts, this is one thing that even they work with. In the last immigration court I attended (which thank God we were able to get a father of three citizens legalized) there was one illegal immigrant who had two DUIs, was a recovering alcoholic and clean for two years. When I heard the case, I thought the judge would throw him out of court and quickly deport him. He had no chance, imo. Shockingly, the judge sent him to attend AA meetings and return back to court in three months.

So if our immigration courts can distinguish between felonies and misdemeanors and work with them, why not us?

Old 11-14-2009, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Tinman, those are all really good questions. I would suggest starting a new thread for that but I will give you my thoughts on that.

Do they serve for the purpose of getting legalized? I believe that some do. Some that I know did it because they felt they did not want to be stuck working in the fields or behind a desk. They wanted something challenging.

I dont see any difference with those that serve only because they want the government to give them grants for their education but dont really understand the meaning of loyalty. Lots of people do it for different reasons...the fact is...they served and they put their lives on the line for our country. For that sole purpose, I think they should be given legalization.

What crimes do we forgive? I dont care about speeding tickets. Anyone can break those laws...not a big deal. I dont accept robbery, murder, rape or any kind of violent crime. I would not even accept DUIs myself. However, to the immigration courts, this is one thing that even they work with. In the last immigration court I attended (which thank God we were able to get a father of three citizens legalized) there was one illegal immigrant who had two DUIs, was a recovering alcoholic and clean for two years. When I heard the case, I thought the judge would throw him out of court and quickly deport him. He had no chance, imo. Shockingly, the judge sent him to attend AA meetings and return back to court in three months.

So if our immigration courts can distinguish between felonies and misdemeanors and work with them, why not us?
It is distressing that a judge would not deport such a low class individule. Folks applying for a VISA would be turned down for less. Your experience is proof positive that we have some very poor judges in this country.
The difference between a legal citizen joining for such benefits and illegal is simple.
1 is done honestly and legally, the other by fraud and deceit.

Old 11-14-2009, 11:14 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,021 times
Since when you can join the army without having at least a Green card?

Old 11-14-2009, 01:20 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,317,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
They can't unless some recruiter pulled a fast one or one had such good fake documents they pulled a fast one themselves. I doubt that this happens very often.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
When using false or stolen documents. In other words by fraud.
Or as some have said a questionable recruiter. Although it would be difficult to do without getting caught.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:12 AM

Quote:
They always have been able to join throughout our history. That is how many received citizenship. Its only in recent years that they changed the rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration