Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 08:36 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times

Advertisements

No GED? Some undocumented immigrants hit barriers in quest for legal status - U.S. News

Quote:
The government’s new program offering young undocumented immigrants a reprieve from deportation presents an opportunity but also many challenges for an estimated 350,000 youths who didn’t finish high school, many of whom may not be able to qualify because the barriers are too high, experts say.

Wah. Yawn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 08:43 AM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
The barriers are too high for illegal immigrant high school dropouts? Since Obama is going to give many of them work permits how are they going to get a job without at least a high school diploma?

Old 10-15-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The barriers are too high for illegal immigrant high school dropouts? Since Obama is going to give many of them work permits how are they going to get a job without at least a high school diploma?
They'll do what they were doing before, unless they live in a state that's giving DACA people welfare.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:57 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:
“It offends me as someone who comes from poverty that they have set a system up where -- people, you know, that are more likely probably the poorest of the poor -- would never be able to take advantage of it. They give a break to people that are going to college or people that are in the military,” said Carol Swain, a professor of politics and law at Vanderbilt University who writes about immigration and did the GED after dropping out of high school. “If you’re going to give mercy to the group they should set up the criteria in a way that it takes in everybody and not exclude the people that are the poorest of the poor or the ones that would never qualify based on their standards.”
If you want to know why I despise liberal ideology, read the above quote. Nothing espouses unpatriotic, loathesome liberalism better than this.

No GED? Some undocumented immigrants hit barriers in quest for legal status - U.S. News

Old 10-15-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
If you want to know why I despise liberal ideology, read the above quote. Nothing espouses unpatriotic, loathesome liberalism better than this.

I'm actually pretty much a liberal, but I'm very anti-illegal immigration.

Please don't assume.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I'm actually pretty much a liberal, but I'm very anti-illegal immigration.

Please don't assume.
Liberal ideology, not conservative ideology, is what enabled this "professor" to formulate such a nauseating comment. If you're very much "anti-illegal immigration" then you might want to re-evaluate where your true ideology stands. Something as important as illegal immigration and yet only one side of the fence finds the sympathy and coddling towards these criminals. Guess what. It aint' conservatives. Time for some introspection it sounds like to me.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:20 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Keep it nice, fellow posters. I'm gonna say ALL of us here def want illegal aliens OUT of the US. Some of us are "libs" and some of us ain't but here we're on the same page.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Keep it nice, fellow posters. I'm gonna say ALL of us here def want illegal aliens OUT of the US. Some of us are "libs" and some of us ain't but here we're on the same page.
Not possible. If you're a liberal, then you support the entitlement system in America as it stands. Every time someone speaks of reform, you folks start crying about "killing granny" and "starving children." This is defacto support for illegal immigrants because, while you purport to have severe disdain for illegal immigration, you willingly turn a blinde eye when reports of illegals obtaining support from our entitlement system come out.

It's not possible to say you hate illegal immigration when in fact you won't take any proactive steps to stop it, or even demand that your liberal representatives in DC, including the President, to stop coddling illegals through other peoples hard-earned tax dollars, and even worse through amnesty programs.

So, please, stop acting like "we're on the same page." Because we're not. Not even close.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:10 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,178,707 times
None of them were concerned about a high school education, a GED, or learning English until it became a requirement for DACA. Now thery're facing insurmountable hurdles? They should have thought of that before quitting school where they were given a free education, which they obviously didn't appreciate or value.

As for the girl who quit school because she got pregnant---Whose fault was that? The guy who quit when his father was deported? The family could have gone with him if it was too hard for them to get by without him.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:41 AM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
What does being poor have to do with not staying in school to get at least a high school education? There shouldn't be any illegal immigrants in our military either because they don't qualify. So why does Ms Swain even mention those two groups?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration