U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2012, 07:04 AM

9,243 posts, read 7,099,270 times

Advertisements

Its crazy when these politicians seek to harbor these criminals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 01:56 PM

1,150 posts, read 991,058 times
It looks like they're going to have to make New Mexico driver's licenses unacceptable as proof of ID. It's certainly going to be a burden on citizens trying to board a plane. The governor's right---Be careful what you wish for.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:37 PM

31,495 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
It looks like they're going to have to make New Mexico driver's licenses unacceptable as proof of ID. It's certainly going to be a burden on citizens trying to board a plane. The governor's right---Be careful what you wish for.
From what I understand there are states that already provide a different looking DL to legal immigrants from citizen ones. Why wouldn't that work regardless of whether one is a legal or illegal immigrant? I am opposed to giving DL's to illegal immigrants but why can't the states that are hell bent on doing so such as New Mexico issue these types of DL's to them and it would still be a form of valid ID for everyone?

Old 10-16-2012, 02:40 PM

9,243 posts, read 7,099,270 times
It would be better to issue them a deportation # & take their picture.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:32 PM

1,150 posts, read 991,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
From what I understand there are states that already provide a different looking DL to legal immigrants from citizen ones. Why wouldn't that work regardless of whether one is a legal or illegal immigrant? I am opposed to giving DL's to illegal immigrants but why can't the states that are hell bent on doing so such as New Mexico issue these types of DL's to them and it would still be a form of valid ID for everyone?

That would work, but look for the ACLU to sue claiming they're discriminatory by labeling certain people as illegal aliens. I like your idea though, if they insist. Actually, it would sure make it easier for AZ to identify illegal aliens in a traffic stop. Yeah, I like it!

Old 10-16-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
That would work, but look for the ACLU to sue claiming they're discriminatory by labeling certain people as illegal aliens. I like your idea though, if they insist. Actually, it would sure make it easier for AZ to identify illegal aliens in a traffic stop. Yeah, I like it!
Probably what would happen is that illegal immigrants would get the same kind of DL as a legal immigrant I am guessing. That way the ACLU couldn't scream discrimination. They all would just be considered to be "immigrants" unfortunately. What a mess our government has created in our country by not enforcing our immigration laws the way they should have been. It has opened up a whole can of worms for us in more ways than one.

Last edited by Oldglory; 10-16-2012 at 05:30 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-16-2012, 05:42 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Quote:
I heard the same claim on the forum, but never saw it validated to a list of states issuing driver's licenses in different formats to differentiate between U.S. citizens and non-U.S. citizens. Does anyone have a source? The closest thing I've heard otherwise was possible legislation in Texas to mark "Temporary Visitor" on non-U.S. citizen licenses.

The FOX News article is flawed and misleading anyway:

Quote:
Under the Real ID Act, the federal government requires proof of citizenship for a driver's license and may not recognize other state IDs unless they are supported by such documents as a birth certificate, Social Security number or passport.

The federal government requires proof of "lawful status" under the REAL ID Act...

Quote:
In 2003, then-Gov. Bill Richardson, pushed through the law approving the issuance of driver's licenses to undocumented immigrants in an attempt to decrease the number of uninsured drivers in the state. After nearly 10 years, there is little evidence the measure achieved the goal, say critics.

FOX News needs to quote whom is saying that it didn't get more driver's insured, because there was measurable results that were published...

Quote:
An estimated 49,000 undocumented immigrants live in New Mexico, and since the law went into effect, some 80,000 licenses have been issued to foreign nationals, many of whom are not from the state.

FOX News is intending to confuse people between terms of "illegal aliens" and "foreign nationals", and a loose reference that "many of whom are not from the state"...

Old 10-16-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
I heard the same claim on the forum, but never saw it validated to a list of states issuing driver's licenses in different formats to differentiate between U.S. citizens and non-U.S. citizens. Does anyone have a source? The closest thing I've heard otherwise was possible legislation in Texas to mark "Temporary Visitor" on non-U.S. citizen licenses.

The FOX News article is flawed and misleading anyway:

The federal government requires proof of "lawful status" under the REAL ID Act...

FOX News needs to quote whom is saying that it didn't get more driver's insured, because there was measurable results that were published...

FOX News is intending to confuse people between terms of "illegal aliens" and "foreign nationals", and a loose reference that "many of whom are not from the state"...
Kind of like many supporters of illegal immigrants blurring the lines between legal and illegal, isn't it?

Old 10-26-2012, 08:18 PM

3,885 posts, read 5,995,057 times
Quote:
Kind of like many supporters of illegal immigrants blurring the lines between legal and illegal, isn't it?
There are no lines as far as they are concerned! They esentially want an open border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or