U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 10-17-2012, 08:35 AM
 
9,243 posts, read 7,111,023 times
Reputation: 2199

Advertisements

Its clear he wants no enforcement of any immigration laws.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-17-2012, 02:59 PM
 
Location: Too far from home.
8,743 posts, read 5,559,787 times
Reputation: 2360
I hope they remember that on Nov. 7 when they vote.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2012, 06:52 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,018,121 times
Reputation: 601
In reality, 287(g) is a certification for law enforcement officers so that they can ask immigration-related questions (without a Federal immigration officer present) in the field, when someone is suspected of being an illegal alien, but not arrested to be taken to jail. If they are detained for a criminal act, the normal ICE screening kicks in at the detention facility. So the "criminal" aliens (note that it doesn't have to be an illegal alien) are still being caught, the "non-criminal" are not.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2012, 07:24 PM
 
31,837 posts, read 14,662,676 times
Reputation: 8486
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
In reality, 287(g) is a certification for law enforcement officers so that they can ask immigration-related questions (without a Federal immigration officer present) in the field, when someone is suspected of being an illegal alien, but not arrested to be taken to jail. If they are detained for a criminal act, the normal ICE screening kicks in at the detention facility. So the "criminal" aliens (note that it doesn't have to be an illegal alien) are still being caught, the "non-criminal" are not.
"Criminal" as in felons? Most or at least many illegal immigrants have committed at least the act of using fake or stolen ID's or tax evasion but I guess some think that is non-criminal.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2012, 10:47 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,018,121 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
"Criminal" as in felons? Most or at least many illegal immigrants have committed at least the act of using fake or stolen ID's or tax evasion but I guess some think that is non-criminal.
287(g) wouldn't be able to catch something like tax evasion anyway. The article covers where the prior 287(g) program is going to be replaced with the "Secure Communities" program. This certainly is nothing new with government, old with the old, in with the new.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2012, 06:34 AM
 
Location: Massachusetts
10,032 posts, read 6,871,376 times
Reputation: 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Its clear he wants no enforcement of any immigration laws.
That may be due to ICE Secure Communities taking it's place. IIRC 287g was an opt in whereas Secure Communities is mandatory.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2012, 08:17 AM
 
9,243 posts, read 7,111,023 times
Reputation: 2199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
"Criminal" as in felons? Most or at least many illegal immigrants have committed at least the act of using fake or stolen ID's or tax evasion but I guess some think that is non-criminal.
Including tax fraud.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2012, 12:11 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,810,130 times
Reputation: 22171
Obama is going on Mexican radio shows promising them their amnesty after he's elected - and making it very clear that he intends to do something about that Supreme Court decision that held up some of the Arizona law. He's coming right out and telling the illegals that the Supreme Court is wrong -- so much for limited and balanced powers. Obama intends to dictate.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top