U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 02:06 PM

2,834 posts, read 4,037,191 times

Advertisements

If it isn't to difficult for dead people to vote what makes you think that illegal immigrants couldn't vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 02:58 PM

3,863 posts, read 3,172,364 times
Any non eligible immigrant, legal or illegal caught trying to vote should immediately be deported AND banned from the USA permanently !!!!

Old 10-20-2012, 09:59 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,840,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
Any non eligible immigrant, legal or illegal caught trying to vote should immediately be deported AND banned from the USA permanently !!!!
They won't be. Obama is promising them that he will get them their amnesty and he will override the Supreme Court on Arizona law if they will get out and vote for him.

This is the ONLY reason that unlimited immigration and rewarding all who have come here illegally is such a big issue with the so-called "latino" vote. Uncontrolled immigration is of no benefit to the American people of any ethnic background. Hispanic-AMERICANS would have the same issues that other Americans have as far as this or any election -- taxes, jobs, quality of life, social security and so on.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:15 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,836,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't be rude or offensive. We all have our opinions but this is a genuine question in which I'm NOT trying to stir up controversy but rather get some insight for people living in other states:

I've lived in 3 different states but I honestly can't remember ever having to show proof of citizenship. I'm sure I did at some point. Anybody know what "proof of citizenship" you have to have in order to vote in your state?

The point of this question is what's to keep an illegal immigrant from voting?

No state requires "proof of citizenship" to register to vote. In addition, the Board of Elections does not have a verification process. They operate on the honor system, which allows one to simply "affirm" U.S. citizenship by signing on the designated line. All who submit a voter registration form will receive a voter registration card, period.

Due to our current voter registration laws, there is nothing preventing illegal aliens or any non-citizens from voting in our elections. Some jurisdictions even allow non-citizens to vote in local elections. Without a doubt, illegals will be voting for Obama next month.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:18 PM

4,268 posts, read 13,735,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
No state requires "proof of citizenship" to register to vote. In addition, the Board of Elections does not have a verification process. They operate on the honor system, which allows one to simply "affirm" U.S. citizenship by signing on the designated line. All who submit a voter registration form will receive a voter registration card, period.

Due to our current voter registration laws, there is nothing preventing illegal aliens or any non-citizens from voting in our elections. Some jurisdictions even allow non-citizens to vote in local elections. Without a doubt, illegals will be voting for Obama next month.
I'm surprised this isn't an issue. One of the most valued rights I received when I became a citizen was the right to vote. I remember my parents talking about it when I was a kid and they were taking their citizenship test how proud they were going to be when they can finally vote. Likewise, when I finally got my citizenship at 18, it was a really proud moment for me. I never even fathomed that people could vote "illegally".

Old 10-20-2012, 01:56 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,836,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
I'm surprised this isn't an issue. One of the most valued rights I received when I became a citizen was the right to vote. I remember my parents talking about it when I was a kid and they were taking their citizenship test how proud they were going to be when they can finally vote. Likewise, when I finally got my citizenship at 18, it was a really proud moment for me. I never even fathomed that people could vote "illegally".
Sadly, U.S. citizenship has now become devalued. Therefore, we no longer have rights and privileges reserved for U.S. citizens. It isn't an issue, because anyone who dares voice opposition is demonized. After all, only bigots want to prevent illegal aliens from voting.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:20 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,280,039 times
Per the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services:

Quote:
The Right to Vote

One of the most important privileges of democracy in the United States of America is the right to participate in choosing elected officials through voting in elections. There are many different types of elections in the United States, such as federal elections, state elections or local elections. Only U.S. citizens can vote in federal elections. Registering to vote or voting in a federal election is a crime if you are not a U.S. citizen. Non-U.S. citizens, including permanent residents (green card holders), who vote, or register to vote, in a federal election also can be denied naturalization and/or removed (deported) from the United States.

There are very few jurisdictions where a non-U.S. citizen may vote in a local election. However, this web site does not provide information regarding voting qualifications for state and local elections. You can obtain information regarding voting qualifications in local elections from your local voting authority. It is important to remember that even if you are allowed to vote in a local election, you are not eligible to vote in a federal election if you are not a U.S. citizen, nor in any other election that requires you to be a U.S. citizen.
Now, regarding the fear-mongers who claim that there are a significant number of illegal immigrants who spend their time plotting on how they can sneak in and vote in elections....give it a rest. I am well connected to the Hispanic community and this couldn't be further from the truth. I don't know anyone who is undocumented who is stupid enough to risk deportation by trying to vote. These people may have their own political views, but their main focus is on making some money to support their family, not on electing our leaders.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Sadly, U.S. citizenship has now become devalued. Therefore, we no longer have rights and privileges reserved for U.S. citizens. It isn't an issue, because anyone who dares voice opposition is demonized. After all, only bigots want to prevent illegal aliens from voting.
Exactly. About now the only benefit USA citizenship still carries is that you can sponsor all your relatives who want to come here legally. Otherwise they will have to come here illegally which isn't too hard but coyotes charge $5000 to $15,000 so bringing them in legally saves a lot of money.

Otherwise there's not much advantage in living here with citizenship. In many situations, illegals have it better as when they apply for financial aid, they don't have "documented" income to report and so are given financial aid ahead of citizens. And citizens going to an out-of-state university have to pay out-of-state tuition rates unike the illegals.

Citizens are required to file an income statement and pay taxes to the IRS, illegals aren't required to do so, they can if they want an EITC check from the government. Male citizens must register with the SS but illegals don't have to. Citizens have to pay child support for their children, illegals do not. Citizens are now required to pay into a health insurance plan but illegals are exempt from having to pay anything into Obamacare, their incomes are theirs to keep, but they can continue to receive all the free health care, never have to pay a hospital or doctor's bill. Citizens are expected to show a drivers license when pulled over - and proof of insurance, illegals cannot be asked for a drivers license -- that's called profiling, nor do they have to show proof of insurance.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Per the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services:
Sure -- but just like all the other laws, this law is not enforced. In fact the federral government went against any state that was going to try to stop any of this election fraud.

Illegals do vote, nothing is being done to stop them and without having to show any registeration card or drivers license, how would you think there is even the slightest enforcement of this law?

Illegals also by law cannot work in this country -- and we all know what a joke that law is. Oh -- and they're not supposed to be living here either......

Old 10-20-2012, 02:28 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,280,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Sure -- but just like all the other laws, this law is not enforced. In fact the federral government went against any state that was going to try to stop any of this election fraud.

Illegals do vote, nothing is being done to stop them and without having to show any registeration card or drivers license, how would you think there is even the slightest enforcement of this law?

Illegals also by law cannot work in this country -- and we all know what a joke that law is. Oh -- and they're not supposed to be living here either......
Come on, you honestly believe that outside of a few rare exceptions that there are illegals voting in federal elections? The Bush administration did extensive studies on our election process and found instances of fraud to be essentially non-existent....there is just no reason to lose sleep over this non-issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or