U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 08:30 AM

791 posts, read 1,980,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
They have yet to grow some balls in DC!
Yes, but they have 'drained the swamp' by calling it a wetland. These guys are pro's.

Congress... 535 reasons to support term limits with NO benefits and NO grandfathering tenure. Send these bozos home in '08.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:35 AM

17,279 posts, read 24,965,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happymom4 View Post
I'm guessing if they are still 100% anything, then they haven't been here for generations.

I think this is key. So many people who simply refer to themselves as "American" are so mixed up ethnicity wise that they really CAN'T point to any distinguishing or primary cultural connection.

Since my father is FROM a European country, I know for certain that I am 1/2 of THAT nationality. My American mother, however, has at least NINE European nationalities in her background.

When he came to this country, my father's family settled in an "ethnic" neighborhood that identified themselves as their nationality. My mother and grandfather always taught me from a young age, however, that I was "American" first. Apparently, I caused quite a stir when my dad took me out to the "old neighborhood" at the age of 4 and I told everyone I was "American!"

Old 10-10-2007, 08:39 AM

348 posts, read 914,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I think this is key. So many people who simply refer to themselves as "American" are so mixed up ethnicity wise that they really CAN'T point to any distinguishing or primary cultural connection.

Since my father is FROM a European country, I know for certain that I am 1/2 of THAT nationality. My American mother, however, has at least NINE European nationalities in her background.

When he came to this country, my father's family settled in an "ethnic" neighborhood that identified themselves as their nationality. My mother and grandfather always taught me from a young age, however, that I was "American" first. Apparently, I caused quite a stir when my dad took me out to the "old neighborhood" at the age of 4 and I told everyone I was "American!"
Love it

Old 10-10-2007, 09:05 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 24 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,470,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happymom4 View Post
I'm guessing if they are still 100% anything, then they haven't been here for generations.
Well it is that, but also depends on where and how you are raised.

I was raised in urban environments: Chicago, Miami, NYC, and San Fran where there are a lot of immigrants. When you are around diversity I think you pickup on ways to better identify yourself, because you will be approached and asked.

Even white kids in urban environments classify themselves as: Russian, Jews, Italians, German and Irish. If you were a mix of many, you would just take whatever % you had most.

Again I don't see what all the fuss is about, of course we are all Americans, but Americans are a mix and it is neat to know more background about a person than what "American" says IMO.

Go to NYC have a conversation at a cafe with someone from Denmark, Ireland, Sweden..etc when they ask you "what are you?" Try to answer "An American" let's see how you describe what that REALLY IS.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:41 PM

457 posts, read 302,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
No not all Mexicans are illegal. We know this. if our government had not let this issue of illegals get so out of hand racial profiling wouldnt be so needed.
That is precisely why it is incumbant on my fellow Americans of hispanic or mexican descent, to stand up and protest along with the rest of us. Sadly, in Texas at least, the Legal mexican immigrants have chosen, in record numbers, to aid and abbet known ILLEGAL criminals rather than unite with their fellow Americans to help stop the tide of INVADERS coming here illegally on a daily basis.

Until such point that that changes, I have no problem with police asking for verification of immigration status, when in a traffic stop situation or any other direct contact. After all it IS a law that as Americans we must carry ID on you at anytime and it is subject to inspection by Law enforcement agents at any time they choose. In that regard, it is not "racial profiling", it's the LAW. And it's also a fact that the predominant violators, here in Texas at least, ARE of hispanic descent.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:23 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,158,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

Exactly, I can point out what I am. Mexican being of Mexican decent. For the people who can't just go with the term American. If I was to get technical with being Mexican I could easily argue that I am part European as well. When I am prompted with the question "What are you?" I just say I'm Mexican. However, when I am writing which becomes more formal I address myself as Mexican-American.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:31 PM

457 posts, read 302,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Exactly, I can point out what I am. Mexican being of Mexican decent. For the people who can't just go with the term American. If I was to get technical with being Mexican I could easily argue that I am part European as well. When I am prompted with the question "What are you?" I just say I'm Mexican. However, when I am writing which becomes more formal I address myself as Mexican-American.
So, do you consider yourself a mexican or an American, first and foremost? Which flag is it that you would choose to carry in any giving rally you might attend?

Also, would you care to address the first paragraph in my post directly above yours? I would honestly like to get somebody of hispanic descent to actually answer that. Everybody seems to dodge that question.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:40 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,698,282 times
Default yes

Quote:
I believe people are misinterpreting the word by thinking all Mexicans are illegal. No, we are not all Illegal. Some of us 1st and 2nd generation are fully educated citizens.Race wise, we can look like any person in the United states. Some of us are White, blonde hair, blue eyes. Some of us are Black, African-American decent but the majority of us are just tan, brown eyes and such. I've been seeing people talking about racial profiling and saying who the most "suspicious". Lets not get the wrong idea about us.
This is true but there are many many that are nothing like you described. The government is forcing people to think this way because people are upset that they wont do their job and get them out of the country so many people are angry at the situation.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:21 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,158,301 times
1. I would hold the Mexican and American flag in a really.

2. I think making people show their citizenship to a police officer would turn worse. It will really inflame the existing racial tension in this country. What if someone forgot their pass?? What if they lost it?

3. I think 90% of the population in Texas has some bit of Hispanic in them since Texas was once part of Mexico.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:43 PM

348 posts, read 914,427 times
Quote:
1. I would hold the Mexican and American flag in a really.

2. I think making people show their citizenship to a police officer would turn worse. It will really inflame the existing racial tension in this country. What if someone forgot their pass?? What if they lost it?

3. I think 90% of the population in Texas has some bit of Hispanic in them since Texas was once part of Mexico.

I don't understand what you are saying in #1..if you were in a "rally" is that what you are saying? If so, why would you hold both flags? If you were rallying in mexico, would you hold the US flag as well? The country who has supported you and your family?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration