Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 08:49 PM

447 posts, read 795,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
I believe I had said this before. I am Mexican-American 17 year old, son of Mexican Immigrants. My dad came to the United states legally when he was just a boy and my mom came to the U.S illegally after she married my dad but later took the citizenship test and become a citizen.

why must there always be a hyphenated american? african-american, asian-american, mexican american? as for me...i am an american...
i claim no other country...

Old 10-09-2007, 09:00 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,302,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivski View Post
why must there always be a hyphenated american? african-american, asian-american, mexican american? as for me...i am an american...

Excellent point.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:21 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,012,747 times
Quote:
Ditto; I may be of recent Euro heritage one side, but, if I had to claim 'ethnicity'-------no matter my skin color, etc. it would be 'American' as well

Old 10-09-2007, 09:30 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,933,628 times
Quote:
Why? My parents are Mexican, and I was born here therefore I am an American Citizen. Hence the Mexican-"American". And I'm not claiming Mexico, I am not a Mexican Citizen. Do you have a problem with me and every other Mexican putting a hyphen in their heritage title that was born here? I recently did a survey and most of the white people which have been here for god knows how many generations said they were German, or Irish and only some said straight up, white.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:44 AM

537 posts, read 438,235 times
I am one of those people who don't think of anyone who has this need to hyphenate themselves as a true, red-blooded American. Why? Because, if they truly felt themselves to be an American then they would not have this need to hyphenate themselves. If someone is hyphenating themselves then it shows the world that they think of the country they came from first before America. That has pretty well shown with just looking around and seeing the people that consider themselves a hyphenated American. I am half Apache and I do not go around calling myself an Apache-American. I am American and only American.

The survey you did was to ask people what their ancestry was and that is totally different than to ask someone what they are. I am an American and only an American. That is what is wrong in this country. There should not be allowed anyone at all, ever, that is hyphenated.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:03 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,436,336 times
This hyphenation talk again?

Italian-Americans much of the time, call themselves Italians.
Same goes for many Irish, Jewish, Japanese, Korean, Chinese...etc. They don't even use the hyphen.

What is the big deal if someone wants to call themselves Mexican-American?

I have to do this sometimes so people "Americans" don't ask if I am a Peurto-Rican, Guatamlean, or El Salvadorian. You get used to having to classify yourself as a Hispanic.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:08 AM

348 posts, read 1,018,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Ok wait a minute, are you telling me that your school doesnt make you take another language class as part of your requirements for graduation!! My kids have to!!!! What does white school mean, no other cultures? I have never gone to an all white school neither have my kids.
LOL, I know, I'm wondering where this "white school" is? I find it ironic that a Mexican went to an "all white school" and he didn't have to take spanish. Where as my children, who are "white" will need to.

Oh, and btw...I have been hearing good things about Tancredo.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Why? My parents are Mexican, and I was born here therefore I am an American Citizen. Hence the Mexican-"American". And I'm not claiming Mexico, I am not a Mexican Citizen. Do you have a problem with me and every other Mexican putting a hyphen in their heritage title that was born here? I recently did a survey and most of the white people which have been here for god knows how many generations said they were German, or Irish and only some said straight up, white.

Wow, I don't know any "white" people who have been here many generations, my family and my husbands included, who claim they are "German or Irish" unless asked their heritage...it never just comes up...this must be the people that attended your "all white school"
By the way, I'm Irish, German, French and Russian...way too much to hyphenate.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:18 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,436,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happymom4 View Post
Wow, I don't know any "white" people who have been here many generations, my family and my husbands included, who claim they are "German or Irish" unless asked their heritage...it never just comes up...this must be the people that attended your "all white school"
By the way, I'm Irish, German, French and Russian...way too much to hyphenate.
Many Irish I know (family) call themselves Irish, because they are 100% Irish.
Same for Italians I know.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
Many Irish I know (family) call themselves Irish, because they are 100% Irish.
Same for Italians I know.

I'm guessing if they are still 100% anything, then they haven't been here for generations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration