U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 04:40 AM

1,459 posts, read 4,044,298 times

Advertisements

Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president.

Theodore Roosevelt

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2007, 09:09 AM

1,696 posts, read 3,058,962 times
In my opinion, the difference between say my grandparents, who came from Italy, learned English, and opened their own business in Newark, NJ, and today's illegal immigrants is the desire to contribute versus the desire to siphon. 19th and early 20th century immigrants came here wanting to lay down roots here, and contribute to their neighborhoods, towns, and American society in general. These illegals today are here basically to score some quick cash, and help themselve to any other "goodies" that they can get like free medical care and citizenship for their kids, but they don't give anything back. What they contribute doesn't even come close to what they take.

If Mexicans decided to make a sincere, concerted effort to assimilate and contribute the way so many of our European ancestors did (and Asian immigrants still do), I doubt so many people would have such a hard time accepting them. At least I wouldn't have such a hard time, anyway.

Old 01-22-2007, 09:09 AM

10,017 posts, read 16,705,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
In my opinion, the difference between say my grandparents, who came from Italy, learned English, and opened their own business in Newark, NJ, and today's illegal immigrants is the desire to contribute versus the desire to siphon. 19th and early 20th century immigrants came here wanting to lay down roots here, and contribute to their neighborhoods, towns, and American society in general. These illegals today are here basically to score some quick cash, and help themselve to any other "goodies" that they can get like free medical care and citizenship for their kids, but they don't give anything back. What they contribute doesn't even come close to what they take.

If Mexicans decided to make a sincere, concerted effort to assimilate and contribute the way so many of our European ancestors did (and Asian immigrants still do), I doubt so many people would have such a hard time accepting them. At least I wouldn't have such a hard time, anyway.

Well said, I agree completely. If they showed more good intentions and willingness to assimulate I wouldnt have a problem. Instead of just protesting and rallies about how they deserve more. My neighbor holds free English lessons and advertises among the many construction sites here in PHX, passes out fliers in English and Spanish. She had 1 person show up.

Old 01-27-2007, 09:30 AM

1,393 posts, read 871,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Well said, I agree completely. If they showed more good intentions and willingness to assimulate I wouldnt have a problem. Instead of just protesting and rallies about how they deserve more. My neighbor holds free English lessons and advertises among the many construction sites here in PHX, passes out fliers in English and Spanish. She had 1 person show up.
My town now offers free Spanish so we that speak English can learn Spanish what's up with that!!

Old 01-27-2007, 09:41 AM

173 posts, read 372,251 times
Just had to pop in on this thread and post.
Watch out for the main stream media now. They will start having pity parties for the minorty races, because the government, and their rich contributors know the common citizen has had it! We want our country back! You will see more and more of this as it gets closer to the 2008 election. The media/government wants American citizens to turn against their fellow citizens, who are against amnesty, and for legal immigration only.

Old 01-27-2007, 09:53 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,028,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
Theodore Roosevelt's ideas on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907.

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
Every American Citizen needs to read this!

Too bad not every American in this country felt this way. Amen to him!

Old 01-27-2007, 04:31 PM

1,393 posts, read 2,492,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
My town now offers free Spanish so we that speak English can learn Spanish what's up with that!!
Ask your Mayor why, tell him/her you want free German or French lessons, sue your town when you don't get them...It's not the towns job to teach Spanish or pay to learn it...

Old 01-27-2007, 05:01 PM

354 posts, read 762,412 times
Why would you sue your town for offering a community service aimed to aid the growing cultural divide? Perhaps if learning German or French were more relevant in today's America, more courses would be offered. Considering English/Spanish are the most widely spoken languages in North America, Latin America, and the Western Hemisphere.. it makes sense to offer courses in them, no?

In case you were wondering, there are about 1.2 billion English speakers/learners, about 1 billion Mandarin Chinese speakers/learners, and about 400 million Spanish speakers/learners. How do German and French fare? French speakers/learners account for only 175 million and German speakers/learners for about 100 million. If you dislike Spanish/Hispanics so much, you should petition for Mandarin Chinese courses or even Hindi (300 million), Arabic (300 million), or Portuguese (200 million) because they are more widely spoken and (aside from French) more relevent and/or influential at the international level. In other words, quit hatin' on Spanish and get over it.

Old 01-27-2007, 05:07 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,028,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amavel View Post
In other words, quit hatin' on Spanish and get over it.
You know why people are "hatin'" on Spanish? Because it's shoved down our throats on signs, telephone messages, billboards, pamphlets, flyers, etc. No other language is on those things. Unless that stops then nobody is going to get over it.

Old 01-27-2007, 05:58 PM

1,393 posts, read 871,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
Ask your Mayor why, tell him/her you want free German or French lessons, sue your town when you don't get them...It's not the towns job to teach Spanish or pay to learn it...
Well, it's not exactly the town it's a women that thought it would help us understand them. Some peoples priorities are confusing!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or