U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 09-29-2006, 10:00 AM

8,192 posts, read 17,815,261 times
Default Fromer President's Thoughts on Immigration

Theodore Roosevelt's ideas on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907.

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
Every American Citizen needs to read this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-29-2006, 10:34 AM

7,535 posts, read 9,633,576 times
Another one of my favorite Roosevelt quotes:

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life."

Unread 09-29-2006, 11:01 AM

1,107 posts, read 2,257,105 times
Evey--I had heard that quote before and always loved it.
Mark S--thanks for sharing that quote. I intend on passing it on!

Unread 09-29-2006, 11:53 AM

2,863 posts, read 7,199,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
Do you know why he said this? Because he could! Thats what Americans believed at the time. Both of my parents are first born generation Americans via Italy and Ireland. My grandparents came to this country with very little but skills, work ethics, the need to assimilate and the desire to become American citizens and it served them well. Unfortunately if Teddy Roosevelt were alive today I don't believe he would be leading this country but would get my vote anyway.

Unread 09-29-2006, 01:51 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,257,105 times
Hi Five, exhdo1! I was going to give you some reps for this post, but was told I have to spread them around first.

Unread 01-19-2007, 01:48 PM

9,998 posts, read 12,127,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
Do you know why he said this? Because he could! Thats what Americans believed at the time. Both of my parents are first born generation Americans via Italy and Ireland. My grandparents came to this country with very little but skills, work ethics, the need to assimilate and the desire to become American citizens and it served them well. Unfortunately if Teddy Roosevelt were alive today I don't believe he would be leading this country but would get my vote anyway.
thankyou for this,some of these quotes I had not heard before.

yep,today one would be labeled a racist,uncaring because they are humans afterall,and would be called closeminded.

then again we live in a politically correct society that wouldn't vote for a president if he smoked cigarettes.

Unread 01-19-2007, 02:56 PM

1,459 posts, read 2,788,851 times
Quote:

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Every American Citizen needs to read it and live by it, or as Teddy said "isn't an American at all".

Unread 01-19-2007, 03:02 PM

10,184 posts, read 17,340,999 times
I remember, not the quote, but the philosophy as I am a first generation American whose family did come in good faith, learned and spoke English and aligned themselves solely as Americans.

Can anyone quote or reference when it became acceptable to not speak English, or when the notion of acculturation was dismantled.

Curious!

Quote:

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Unread 01-19-2007, 06:33 PM

2,640 posts
Teddy Roosevelt also said,

"The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, or preventing all possibility of its continuing as a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities."

Another great quote, but I can't remember now who said it is:

"It is a blessing for an individual to be bilingual; it is a curse for a society to be bilingual."

Unread 01-19-2007, 06:41 PM

354 posts, read 523,581 times
I guess nearly every country in Europe is cursed. Too bad for them and their strengthened Euro!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration