U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 02:47 PM

23,024 posts, read 31,998,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
OMG! I can see why you don't want to vote for him. Are you in the area of N. VA where they just announced they will be extending social services to all illegals? I just heard about that yesterday and about fell over. Apparently they are going to help with housing, job placement, etc.
yep, good-ole liberal-a** Alexandria City. it's BEEN extending services to illegals for years they just voted to keep giving the services. another reason why it says under my name "FUTURE EX-NOVA RESIDENT"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 11:14 PM

4 posts, read 7,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Thank you for sharing the article. I wish that i could find a candidate who is pro-gay, but anti-illegal alien. they just don't seem to exist.
Yeah your asking too much, and that wont happen very soon, pro gay lol and anti-illegal alien, sorry dont match. You must be a weird one.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:38 PM

4 posts, read 7,800 times
Cool I support this 100% Obama is my choice when it come to electing a president!

I think illegals who demonstrate great talent should be given the opportunity and even be get the chanve to become permanent residents (green card) or even obtain citizenship it they finish there college. They would add to the society and I mean the US does need doctors engineers (me) and lawyers.

I certainly would use it more reponsibly, I mean I am one of the brightest student in america, literally. And I have notices that to most of the forums and programs I have gone to for some of the brightest students in the US are not american most of us are immigrants, I see chines, japanese, hispanics, and muslims, and obviously anglos which is real nice because I get to meet people with other backgrounds and beliefs which is awesome. Like the summer programs I am goint to got next summer 2008 in Washington and Ney York all paid by private orgainzations in support of the leders of tommorow.
I think not many US students take college or school very seriously because they dont know what being without an education means, how much harder it makes it to get work, and how people who dont have one really would have wanted to have the opportunity of getting an education and not letting it go to waste. I mean I am happy to go to shool, are you sone happy in the mornings wanting to go to school and waking up imediately without being called another time.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:49 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,224,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley_2010 View Post
I think illegals who demonstrate great talent should be given the opportunity and even be get the chanve to become permanent residents (green card) or even obtain citizenship it they finish there college. They would add to the society and I mean the US does need doctors engineers (me) and lawyers.

I certainly would use it more reponsibly, I mean I am one of the brightest student in america, literally. And I have notices that to most of the forums and programs I have gone to for some of the brightest students in the US are not american most of us are immigrants, I see chines, japanese, hispanics, and muslims, and obviously anglos which is real nice because I get to meet people with other backgrounds and beliefs which is awesome. Like the summer programs I am goint to got next summer 2008 in Washington and Ney York all paid by private orgainzations in support of the leders of tommorow.
I think not many US students take college or school very seriously because they dont know what being without an education means, how much harder it makes it to get work, and how people who dont have one really would have wanted to have the opportunity of getting an education and not letting it go to waste. I mean I am happy to go to shool, are you sone happy in the mornings wanting to go to school and waking up imediately without being called another time.
Perhaps you have missed the point my bright one. As a legal taxpayer of the United States of American I do not want my tax dollars used to reward illegal aliens. All legal immigrants should be given the same opportunities as any other legal US citizen. Lawbreakers should not.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Perhaps you have missed the point my bright one. As a legal taxpayer of the United States of American I do not want my tax dollars used to reward illegal aliens. All legal immigrants should be given the same opportunities as any other legal US citizen. Lawbreakers should not.
P.S. If you are an illegal alien your opinion on who should be president of the US really does not mean a lot as you are not entitled to legally vote in this country. Now go to your home country and apply your brightness there if you are here illegally.

Old 10-14-2007, 02:31 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,160,788 times
Obama's position on matters:

Removing Incentives to Enter Illegally
To remove incentives to enter the country illegally, we need to crack down on employers who hire illegal immigrants. Barack Obama has championed a proposal with Senators Charles Grassley (R-IA), Ted Kennedy (D-MA), and Max Baucus (D-MT) to create a new employment eligibility verification system so employers could verify that their employees are legally eligible to work in the U.S., making it fair to legal workers and tougher on employers.

Creating Secure BordersBarack Obama wants to preserve the integrity of our borders to reduce illegal immigration. He supports additional personnel, infrastructure, and technology on the border and at our ports of entry. Obama believes we need additional Customs and Border Protection agents equipped with better technology and real-time intelligence. However, enforcing our borders is only one step of comprehensive immigration reform. Despite tripling the size of the U.S. Border Patrol along the southern border between 1990-2005, the undocumented population doubled in size, the death rate of border crossings tripled, and the per-apprehension cost increased from $300 in 1992 to $1700 in 2002, according to the Center for American Progress.

Bringing People Out of the Shadows
America has always been a nation of immigrants. There are millions of people living in the shadows that would like to fully embrace our values and become full members of our democracy. For the millions here illegally but otherwise playing by the rules, we must encourage them to come out of hiding and get right with the law. Barack Obama supports a system that requires undocumented immigrants that are in good standing to pay a fine, learn English, not commit crimes, go to the back of the line for citizenship, and then after all those conditions are met, they would be granted the opportunity to stay in the United States.

Free Up Money for Student Aid and Protect Student Borrowers: Currently, there are two basic college loan programs. The Direct Loan system allows students to borrow from the government through their schools. The Federal Family Education Loan Program instead gives private banks federal subsidies to make government-backed student loans. These privately funded FFEL loans cost about $6 more per $100 loan than loans through the Direct Loan program. Barack Obama cosponsored Senator Kennedy's Student Debt Relief Act, which encourages colleges to participate in the Direct Loan program and use the savings to invest in grant aid to students. The legislation also increases need-based aid, and decreases fees and interest rates for student loans. Obama would eliminate wasteful subsidies to private student lenders and instead support the federal Direct Loan program, invest the savings in additional student aid, and add greater transparency to the student financial aid process.

Increase Federal College Aid: Across the country, millions of students use Pell Grants to finance their college educations. Two decades ago, the maximum grant covered 55 percent of costs at a public four-year college, compared with only 32 percent today. The first bill Barack Obama introduced in the U.S. Senate would have helped make college more affordable for many Americans by increasing the maximum Pell Grant from the existing limit of $4,050 to a new maximum of $5,100. Senator Obama has worked in a bipartisan way on the Senate HELP Committee to propose an increase in the Pell Grant to $5,400 over the next few years, paying for these increases through decreased government subsidies to banks and lenders.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
Obama's position on matters:

Removing Incentives to Enter Illegally
To remove incentives to enter the country illegally, we need to crack down on employers who hire illegal immigrants. Barack Obama has championed a proposal with Senators Charles Grassley (R-IA), Ted Kennedy (D-MA), and Max Baucus (D-MT) to create a new employment eligibility verification system so employers could verify that their employees are legally eligible to work in the U.S., making it fair to legal workers and tougher on employers.

Creating Secure BordersBarack Obama wants to preserve the integrity of our borders to reduce illegal immigration. He supports additional personnel, infrastructure, and technology on the border and at our ports of entry. Obama believes we need additional Customs and Border Protection agents equipped with better technology and real-time intelligence. However, enforcing our borders is only one step of comprehensive immigration reform. Despite tripling the size of the U.S. Border Patrol along the southern border between 1990-2005, the undocumented population doubled in size, the death rate of border crossings tripled, and the per-apprehension cost increased from $300 in 1992 to $1700 in 2002, according to the Center for American Progress.

Bringing People Out of the Shadows
America has always been a nation of immigrants. There are millions of people living in the shadows that would like to fully embrace our values and become full members of our democracy. For the millions here illegally but otherwise playing by the rules, we must encourage them to come out of hiding and get right with the law. Barack Obama supports a system that requires undocumented immigrants that are in good standing to pay a fine, learn English, not commit crimes, go to the back of the line for citizenship, and then after all those conditions are met, they would be granted the opportunity to stay in the United States.

Free Up Money for Student Aid and Protect Student Borrowers: Currently, there are two basic college loan programs. The Direct Loan system allows students to borrow from the government through their schools. The Federal Family Education Loan Program instead gives private banks federal subsidies to make government-backed student loans. These privately funded FFEL loans cost about $6 more per $100 loan than loans through the Direct Loan program. Barack Obama cosponsored Senator Kennedy's Student Debt Relief Act, which encourages colleges to participate in the Direct Loan program and use the savings to invest in grant aid to students. The legislation also increases need-based aid, and decreases fees and interest rates for student loans. Obama would eliminate wasteful subsidies to private student lenders and instead support the federal Direct Loan program, invest the savings in additional student aid, and add greater transparency to the student financial aid process.

Increase Federal College Aid: Across the country, millions of students use Pell Grants to finance their college educations. Two decades ago, the maximum grant covered 55 percent of costs at a public four-year college, compared with only 32 percent today. The first bill Barack Obama introduced in the U.S. Senate would have helped make college more affordable for many Americans by increasing the maximum Pell Grant from the existing limit of $4,050 to a new maximum of $5,100. Senator Obama has worked in a bipartisan way on the Senate HELP Committee to propose an increase in the Pell Grant to $5,400 over the next few years, paying for these increases through decreased government subsidies to banks and lenders.
These aren't migrants. They are illegal aliens. Where does he address sending illegal aliens back to their home country???

Old 10-14-2007, 11:44 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,160,788 times
Quote:
These aren't migrants. They are illegal aliens. Where does he address sending illegal aliens back to their home country???
I believe when he says that they need to go to the back of the line for legal citizenship. I think he definitely needs some additional clarification on whether that means they return to Mexico and apply for citizenship or whether they remain here while waiting for their applications to be processed. I can't imagine he means that they would remain here, but then again I could be wrong - I'm going to do some research and see if I can come up with something.

Where did you see "migrants"?

Old 10-15-2007, 01:40 PM

175 posts, read 670,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
News10.net - Search Results (broken link)

well obama just lost this African-American's vote.

Who gives a crap wasn't like he would have got a lot of it anyway. Secondly Mit Romney did give in state tuition to illegal aliens in MA while he was Governor, so what's it matter. All the Repubs and Dems are a like get a third party in here!

Old 10-15-2007, 02:05 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
I believe when he says that they need to go to the back of the line for legal citizenship. I think he definitely needs some additional clarification on whether that means they return to Mexico and apply for citizenship or whether they remain here while waiting for their applications to be processed. I can't imagine he means that they would remain here, but then again I could be wrong - I'm going to do some research and see if I can come up with something.

Where did you see "migrants"?
He is not going to send anybody anywhere except to the County Court House or where ever, to pick up their citizenship papers.

Quote:
But while security might start at our borders, it doesn't end there. Millions of undocumented immigrants live and work here without our knowing their identity or their background. We need to strike a workable bargain with them. They have to acknowledge that breaking our immigration laws was wrong. They must pay a penalty, and abide by all of our laws going forward. They must earn the right to stay over a 6-year period, and then they must wait another 5 years as legal permanent residents before they become citizens.

But in exchange for accepting those penalties, we must allow undocumented immigrants to come out of the shadows and step on a path toward full participation in our society. In fact, I will not support any bill that does not provide this earned path to citizenship for the undocumented population--not just for humanitarian reasons; not just because these people, having broken the law, did so for the best of motives, to try and provide a better life for their children and their grandchildren; but also because this is the only practical way we can get a handle on the population that is within our borders right now.

To keep from having to go through this difficult process again in the future, we must also replace the flow of undocumented immigrants coming to work here with a new flow of guestworkers. Illegal immigration is bad for illegal immigrants and bad for the workers against whom they compete.

Replacing the flood of illegals with a regulated stream of legal immigrants who enter the United States after background checks and who are provided labor rights would enhance our security, raise wages, and improve working conditions for all Americans.
Floor Statement of Senator Barack Obama on Immigration Reform | U.S. Senator Barack Obama (http://obama.senate.gov/speech/060403-floor_statement_3/index.php - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or