U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 11:18 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,012,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
This is where you are wrong. The whole term "hispanic" is bizarre because it includes long-time patriotic good Americans with those who just came over the border...
Yeah, you misread that I am using the term "Hispanic" that way...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 06:55 AM

31,514 posts, read 14,580,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
One solution is to allow the men to come and go back across the border so they leave their families back home.

The women would be less likely to make the trip. Kids stay in Mexico. Win / win. We get cheap labor. They make a buck.

Oh, and end the birthright citizenship nonsense.

And dungeons. We need a few dungeons.
Allow the men to come and go back across the border for what? We have 23 million Americans out of work. Just what jobs do we have for them that Americans won't do? If you are referring to agricultural jobs there are visas in place for those already.

Cheap labor is part of the problem right now. What incentive do these greedy employers have to hire American workers if we allow cheap labor to flood our borders?

I agree with ending birthright citizenship unless at least one parent is a citizen of this country. Dungeons, no. That is archaic and inhumane. If you are here illegally you need to be expedited back home rather than allowed to languish here in detainment at the taxpayer's expense.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:29 AM

12,172 posts, read 6,702,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Allow the men to come and go back across the border for what? We have 23 million Americans out of work. Just what jobs do we have for them that Americans won't do? If you are referring to agricultural jobs there are visas in place for those already.

Cheap labor is part of the problem right now. What incentive do these greedy employers have to hire American workers if we allow cheap labor to flood our borders?

I agree with ending birthright citizenship unless at least one parent is a citizen of this country. Dungeons, no. That is archaic and inhumane. If you are here illegally you need to be expedited back home rather than allowed to languish here in detainment at the taxpayer's expense.
I should have made that clearer - the dungeons are for the heads of the companies who break the law...

I have been assured by my liberal friends that illegals are only performing work that Americans won't do. When Americans are ready to take the jobs back, we restrict the number of guest workers. That's when those dungeons will come in handy.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
I should have made that clearer - the dungeons are for the heads of the companies who break the law...

I have been assured by my liberal friends that illegals are only performing work that Americans won't do. When Americans are ready to take the jobs back, we restrict the number of guest workers. That's when those dungeons will come in handy.
Ok, sorry I misunderstood you. Your liberal friends are wrong and I hope that you have told them so. There are no jobs that our adult or young Americans won't do for a fair wage. Even though working in the fields would probably be restricted to our American rural youth but even then where there is a shortage of agricultural workers we have unlimited visas for them.

How can we take jobs back from employers who prefer the cheap, illegal labor? The only way we can do that is through e-verify with severe punishment for the employers who try to cheat the system. We need to remove all incentives for illegal immigrants to remain here or to continue to come here. The job magnet is only one of those incentives.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:58 AM

5,302 posts, read 4,012,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
This is where you are wrong. The whole term "hispanic" is bizarre because it includes long-time patriotic good Americans with those who just came over the border.

If you were to break the group into more natural subgroups -- long-time Americans, with family roots before the 1950's, I'm pretty sure there would be no difference between them and other Americans - no extra costs to educate their kids, no cultural difficulties.

The next group would be more recent arrivals, from 1950s to mid 1980s and you would begin to see problems. And the very recent arrivals who arrived since the mid 1980s could be broken down into 3 groups - legally immigrated on work visas, legally immigrated through family chain migration, and the illegals. Each subgroup would certainly show differences in ability...
You forgot that I have a daily example of the lack of difference in the two bolded groups above. I have a "Hispanic" family that has been Legal Permanent Residents less than five years ("very recent arrivals"). They have no discernible difference to the Hispanics of my community with families here for multiple generations over centuries.

The sweeping generalizations to say "patriotic" and "good" in comparison to "gang members" and "taxpayer expense" are notable in this topic when the people have been defined as "Hispanic". We have posts on the topic showing those references to entire nationalities:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
How about we keep them out of the Country to begin with. That way we avoid the DREAM act and anchor issue altogether. Are Mexico and Guatemala THAT bad? Is it that big a death sentence. Are all Mexicans and Guatemalans bad people and illiterate?

I think not.
Many of you need to re-read the OP article, because you have missed its point entirely...

Old 10-25-2012, 08:58 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,904,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
And some people say speaking spanish will enhance the US and make us stronger, when in reality its just going to slow everything down and make everything so much harder.
Many of these Hispanic kids come from poor families. They are not even speaking proper Spanish.
A Spanish teacher told me they have it even harder learning proper Spanish because they were raised learning and speaking slang.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:01 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,904,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
So in that case all education is bad, since it is true, we the taxpayers pay for public education that the majority of children use.

You would rather there be no publicly funded education and the U.S. would sink in education attainment to maybe the level of Haiti?

The U.S. already ranks 25th in student Math skills out of 31 countries. You want it to go lower?
We do fund it and property taxes are sky high in some areas.
But there are other areas of education that mandate the money, like ESL, bilingual, Special Ed.
When the budgets are cut, these programs are not so the cuts happen in the core programs.
It's sounds odd, but that is reality.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:23 AM

32,801 posts, read 30,052,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
You forgot that I have a daily example of the lack of difference in the two bolded groups above. I have a "Hispanic" family that has been Legal Permanent Residents less than five years ("very recent arrivals"). They have no discernible difference to the Hispanics of my community with families here for multiple generations over centuries.

The sweeping generalizations to say "patriotic" and "good" in comparison to "gang members" and "taxpayer expense" are notable in this topic when the people have been defined as "Hispanic". We have posts on the topic showing those references to entire nationalities:

Many of you need to re-read the OP article, because you have missed its point entirely...
Yes, because this phenom is seen all over the States right? It started as some sort of single cell division (only in Texas, AZ and CA) that created Hispanics at a rapid rate as the cells mutated. It didn't come from illegal immigration, got it. It has everything to do with legal and illegal immigration but the people that immigrated legally aren't the problem.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post

I read the entire article and questions came to mind. Who are these Hispanics that are living in poverty and yet are citizens or legal immigrants? Are we importing poverty through legal immigration? I hope not. Could be in "some or many" cases where family reunification is involved. I tend to think that is a part of it and so is illegal immigration. The stats state that Hispanic immigrants are here overwhelming in the largest numbers both legally and illegally. That would certainly explain their high growth rate, wouldn't it?

Old 10-25-2012, 09:53 AM

32,801 posts, read 30,052,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I read the entire article and questions came to mind. Who are these Hispanics that are living in poverty and yet are citizens or legal immigrants? Are we importing poverty through legal immigration? I hope not. Could be in "some or many" cases where family reunification is involved. I tend to think that is a part of it and so is illegal immigration. The stats state that Hispanic immigrants are here overwhelming in the largest numbers both legally and illegally. That would certainly explain their high growth rate, wouldn't it?
That answer is a resounding no. Legal immigrants have never been "the" problem. It's always been illegal aliens that have caused all of the issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or