U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-03-2012, 07:02 AM
 
31,471 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Reputation: 8350

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
"Supporting" does not necessarily mean "voting"...

Why would a foreigner support any candidate running for office in our country? That would be like me supporting a particular political candidate of Canada for example. Their politics would have nothing to do with me as I am an American not a Canadian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-03-2012, 10:21 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why would a foreigner support any candidate running for office in our country? That would be like me supporting a particular political candidate of Canada for example. Their politics would have nothing to do with me as I am an American not a Canadian.
Good question. No American should say they support this or that candidate in Mexico or Canada -- it would be a stupid thing to say -- and Mexicans and Canadians would be outraged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2012, 10:26 AM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,009,391 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why would a foreigner support any candidate running for office in our country? That would be like me supporting a particular political candidate of Canada for example. Their politics would have nothing to do with me as I am an American not a Canadian.
A few Fourth of July's ago, a local candidate approached my wife, and began expounding his virtues on her. I laughed, because I knew it wouldn't do him a bit of good. But she sure does have a couple politically-defined bumper stickers (for the NRA, and a Conservative political organization; you guys should try to get her naturalized to be able to vote) on her car.

I would have rather seen someone other than Prieto be elected in Mexico (but not Obrador). Calderon could not be re-elected (the Mexican Presidency is limited to a single term). That's a real shame, his policies of fighting the cartels was starting to gain some good ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2012, 10:27 AM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,009,391 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Good question. No American should say they support this or that candidate in Mexico or Canada -- it would be a stupid thing to say -- and Mexicans and Canadians would be outraged.
See above ^^^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2012, 10:29 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
A few Fourth of July's ago, a local candidate approached my wife, and began expounding his virtues on her. I laughed, because I knew it wouldn't do him a bit of good. But she sure does have a couple politically-defined bumper stickers (for the NRA, and a Conservative political organization; you guys should try to get her naturalized to be able to vote) on her car.

I would have rather seen someone other than Prieto be elected in Mexico (but not Obrador). Calderon could not be re-elected (the Mexican Presidency is limited to a single term). That's a real shame, his policies of fighting the cartels was starting to gain some good ground.
That's different than you as an American saying you support this or that candidate in Mexico. Sure we all might have our druthers on who wins an election in a foreign country but it's up to the people of those countries, not us.

We must be about the only country in the world that not only allows foreigners but foreigners here illegally a right to get involved in our political process and elections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2012, 03:26 PM
 
31,471 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Reputation: 8350
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
A few Fourth of July's ago, a local candidate approached my wife, and began expounding his virtues on her. I laughed, because I knew it wouldn't do him a bit of good. But she sure does have a couple politically-defined bumper stickers (for the NRA, and a Conservative political organization; you guys should try to get her naturalized to be able to vote) on her car.

I would have rather seen someone other than Prieto be elected in Mexico (but not Obrador). Calderon could not be re-elected (the Mexican Presidency is limited to a single term). That's a real shame, his policies of fighting the cartels was starting to gain some good ground.
The difference is that you are prefering a particular candidate in Mexico because you think it will be better for the U.S. (your country) in fighting the drug cartels. An illegal immigrant has no such noble intentions. It's all about him not what is best for this country nor his homeland.

LPR's still have no right to vote either. Until they do they need to butt out of our politics, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2012, 05:33 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,009,391 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The difference is that you are prefering a particular candidate in Mexico because you think it will be better for the U.S. (your country) in fighting the drug cartels...
And better for Mexico, better to restrict human trafficking and illegal immigration, a better situation, the same reason I would support a candidate in the United States...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
...An illegal immigrant has no such noble intentions. It's all about him not what is best for this country nor his homeland...
Yeah, we hear this all the time here, the shallowness and evil intentions of illegal aliens (in a few cases, it doesn't even have to specifically be illegal aliens)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
...LPR's still have no right to vote either. Until they do they need to butt out of our politics, IMO.
Again, one can support a candidate, without voting for a candidate...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2012, 06:46 PM
 
31,471 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Reputation: 8350
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
And better for Mexico, better to restrict human trafficking and illegal immigration, a better situation, the same reason I would support a candidate in the United States...



Yeah, we hear this all the time here, the shallowness and evil intentions of illegal aliens (in a few cases, it doesn't even have to specifically be illegal aliens)...



Again, one can support a candidate, without voting for a candidate...
It doesn't matter what an illegal immigrant's intentions are. It is the negative outcome of their actions that I care about and the fact that they aren't respecting our immigration laws.

Right, an illegal immigrant supporting a certain candidate in our country so they will be rewarded for their lawbreaking. No self-serving notion in that one, is there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2012, 08:25 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
And better for Mexico, better to restrict human trafficking and illegal immigration, a better situation, the same reason I would support a candidate in the United States...



Yeah, we hear this all the time here, the shallowness and evil intentions of illegal aliens (in a few cases, it doesn't even have to specifically be illegal aliens)...



Again, one can support a candidate, without voting for a candidate...
True. But generally, support for a presidential candidate indicates one intends to cast a vote. Otherwise, their support serves no purpose. I know for a fact, support without voting will not influence the outcome of an election. It would be like saying he "supports" the Red Cross, but never donates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2012, 11:37 PM
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
1,017 posts, read 552,739 times
Reputation: 1625
Who believes Romney would do any different than Obama and Bush before him? Illegal immigration won't go away because one espouses the "immigration reform" platform more than the other candidate. The only way to keep the illegals out is to make sure they have no reason to stay - stop the hand-outs, jobs, "American dream," ad nauseam. it's obvious government, both on the federal and state sides, won't touch the subject.

And the camel keeps pushing his nose into the tent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top