U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 08:31 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I think your labeling of the OP as an ill-informed idiot is really uncalled for. What makes you think that they don't know about the supposed deportation numbers of the Administration? Just because Obama has supposedly been the President during the DHS' highest amount of deportations doesn't make it OK that so many illegal immigrants are now able to work in place of those legally here.
Indeed it is uncalled for. Plus, what good does it do to deport 400,000 while allowing countless millions to remain? How on earth is that being tough on illegals?

Old 11-04-2012, 08:36 AM

31,495 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Citation for "most of whom are here illegally"? I just showed you the numbers for "foreign labor" that are legally present and even brought in for employment. In fact, CIS saying that immigrant employment has risen by "2 million" since the first quarter of 2009 doesn't have much space for illegal aliens, with 80% of over 3 million work-authorized legal immigrants between the ages of 15 and 65 being admitted in that time, more than half a million specifically for employment.

How about the information that I have presented here about 80% of all legal immigrants being between age 15 to 65 (meaning over 800,000 a year) are much more likely to be the growth of those two million jobs during the Obama administration?...

I don't even know what you mean by this comment, "Americans" are getting false data from CIS, because most of the "immigrants" being employed in the United States are fully work-authorized, in accordance with immigration laws...
I checked out the CIS site and they have two separate links one for illegal immigration and the other for legal immigration. So much for the claims that they blur the lines between the two catagories.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:39 AM

5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I checked out the CIS site and they have two separate links one for illegal immigration and the other for legal immigration. So much for the claims that they blur the lines between the two catagories.
Almost all of their publications combine legal and illegal immigration into the term "immigrant". Their usage of the term even considers a naturalized U.S. citizen for decades as an immigrant* (in other words, they can complain that "immigrant" numbers are always increasing, but never consider those becoming U.S. citizens). Does the phrase "foreign-born voting in U.S. elections" scare you?

But it is possible for naturalized citizens. CIS does try to keep tabs on native-born U.S. citizens too, but only those that have "immigrant" parents. Marriages of U.S. citizens to the "foreign-born" also capture their attention for some reason.

I even had a discussion here about why a CIS author ("W.D. Reasoner") would need to use a pseudonym for his "reports"...

Looking over the CIS website and information, do you believe they are truthful and valid enough to support?...

* - "Immigrants are persons living in the United States who were not American citizens at birth"

Old 11-04-2012, 10:00 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,893,919 times
That article also states high tech as an area immigrants get many jobs. That requires a college degree and usually a green card or more.

That can't be blamed on illegal immigrants; rather I would blame it on our p*ss poor K-12 education system.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:24 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,422,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Actually, Obama himself admitted that the large deportation numbers under his watch were scewered because in the count were illegal immigrants being turned back at the border and self-deportations also. He has stopped the raids on companies hiring illegal immigrants so don't know where you are getting your info from.

He also has implemented the DACA (Dream Act) without the approval of congress. He has ordered Homeland Security not to deport any illegal immigrants unless they are convicted felons so Obama gets no points from me on illegal immigration.

I wouldn't use terms like "illinformed idiot" in this forum if I were you.
Exactly. It's unfortunate that those who name call are either in denial or the least informed. The reality of the situation is that the majority of those elected to serve the American people sold us out decades ago. Their actions are merely being excelerated.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:35 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,422,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I think your labeling of the OP as an ill-informed idiot is really uncalled for. What makes you think that they don't know about the supposed deportation numbers of the Administration? Just because Obama has supposedly been the President during the DHS' highest amount of deportations doesn't make it OK that so many illegal immigrants are now able to work in place of those legally here.
Agreed. The administration has deported numerous illegals redundantly. It is essentially a waste of taxpayer money to deport the same illegal aliens redundantly, with no way of monitoring their re-entry.

Quote:
Deported illegal immigrants return repeatedly

Three months earlier, immigration agents had deported Mora to his homeland of Mexico. But the free ride home served as no deterrent. Since 2000, Mora has been deported four times, only to return time and again - most recently to Ohio.
A Dispatch investigation revealed that it is common for deported immigrants to return to the United States despite the threat of felony charges.
In another case, Juan Jose Beltran-Coronel's fourth trip to the border with immigration agents came after he was involved in a car crash in Kansas that killed his wife and exposed him as a human smuggler.
On 16 other occasions, Beltran was caught in the U.S. illegally and left on his own, court records show.
He served 5 1/2 years in prison and was shipped back to Mexico in 2002. Within three years, he was back, living in Preble County in western Ohio
Deported illegal immigrants return repeatedly | The Columbus Dispatch

Old 11-04-2012, 10:37 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That article also states high tech as an area immigrants get many jobs. That requires a college degree and usually a green card or more.

That can't be blamed on illegal immigrants; rather I would blame it on our p*ss poor K-12 education system.
To an extent it is -- but also why hire an American college graduate and pay $50,000 when you can find plenty of foreign college graduates who will gladly accept these jobs for $25,000 or $30,000?

Immigration is mainly about getting cheap labor and unlimited amounts of it. Almost never is it really for the benefit of the American people. Some people should be Americans -- no doubt about it, they belong here, they truly want to be part of the American people but that's not what many come here for.

Too bad immigration cannot be limited to those who truly want to be a part of the American people AND who can make a positive contribution. Not all legal immigrants are wonderful -- look at the guy who was going to try to blow up the Pentagon by using explosives and remote control airplanes, or those 9-11 hijackers. And the drug cartels which are getting many of their members into the USA perfectly legally for their own evil purposes.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:04 PM

86,093 posts, read 69,893,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
To an extent it is -- but also why hire an American college graduate and pay $50,000 when you can find plenty of foreign college graduates who will gladly accept these jobs for $25,000 or $30,000?

Immigration is mainly about getting cheap labor and unlimited amounts of it. Almost never is it really for the benefit of the American people. Some people should be Americans -- no doubt about it, they belong here, they truly want to be part of the American people but that's not what many come here for.

Too bad immigration cannot be limited to those who truly want to be a part of the American people AND who can make a positive contribution. Not all legal immigrants are wonderful -- look at the guy who was going to try to blow up the Pentagon by using explosives and remote control airplanes, or those 9-11 hijackers. And the drug cartels which are getting many of their members into the USA perfectly legally for their own evil purposes.
H1B rules prevent that and the big corporations are pretty good about following those rules because they stand to lose big time if they don't.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:35 PM

41,859 posts, read 31,725,984 times
Instead of blaming a president, any president, why not look to the folk hiring people?

I swear half of Eastern Europe is here on 6 month tourist visas working the trades and being paid under the table. We are not going to close our doors to tourists, are we?

It's all about the employers.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:52 PM

23,599 posts, read 31,152,740 times
Quote:

Quote:
H1B rules prevent that and the big corporations are pretty good about following those rules because they stand to lose big time if they don't.
No, I blame it on companies and employers wanting to drive down wages for I.T. workers. Corporations are not good at all about following those rules, that's absurd and untrue.

H-1B visa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or