Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 11:25 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
If it is "letting" legal immigrants work, I think the ratios would be the same for any recent President, like Bush II. President Obama did sign "trade deals" with South Korea, Columbia, and Panama, but it was also praised by Republicans. Most of what you mention preceded the Obama administration.

Of course your post is phrased as an Obama bash, not much about illegal aliens...
Oh -- I've definitely bashed Bush and Clinton and Reagan over this issue -- the thing is, they are not the ones in charge NOW. They were all bad on this issue.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:54 AM

62,940 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Fo' sure, two of those are within my household (and I am glad they have jobs, to help with expenses). Most of this is purely natural: Legal immigrants (1,062,040 in 2011, 1,042,625 in 2010, and 1,130,818 in 2009) come in, and get employed.

Almost exactly for all three years, 80% of legal immigrants are older than 15 years, and younger than age 65. Employment-based visas are between 12.5% to 14.2% for the three years. You can read the information for yourself: http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/s...pr_fr_2011.pdf (there are amazing levels of categorization).

So why are we complaining about "immigrants" (the majority legally work-authorized) being employed, rather than being dependent on someone else?...

Oh, it is CIS mixing up legal and illegal immigration again...
"Oh, it is CIS mixing up legal and illegal immigration again"

Isn't that what defenders of illegal immigrants do?

Old 11-02-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Oh -- I've definitely bashed Bush and Clinton and Reagan over this issue -- the thing is, they are not the ones in charge NOW. They were all bad on this issue.
Yes, but what other sitting president implemented a DACA kind of program without congresses approval? Bush tried to push through an amnesty but did so through congress and it was voted down. Reagan got it pushed through congress but he later regretted it. It was supposed to be the last one to.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:46 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
No surprise there; the nacos are taking the low-wage jobs around here, for sure.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:34 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
"Oh, it is CIS mixing up legal and illegal immigration again"

Isn't that what defenders of illegal immigrants do?
My point is that CIS tries to get Americans riled up about "immigrants" (without defining it further) "terking ur jobs", when around 13% of legal immigrants are specifically being sponsored for employment. All legal immigrants are work-authorized anyway, and with 80% being between ages 15 to 65, I would hope most of them are working.

CIS has a page up on immigrants' sponsorship requirements that has been incorrect for years. I see that sort of stance as being willfully deceptive about "immigrants", and it lets me know I can't trust any of their data. Tell me exactly where I "blend" immigration identifiers together, because I try to categorize the classifications the best I can here.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
My point is that CIS tries to get Americans riled up about "immigrants" (without defining it further) "terking ur jobs", when around 13% of legal immigrants are specifically being sponsored for employment. All legal immigrants are work-authorized anyway, and with 80% being between ages 15 to 65, I would hope most of them are working.

CIS has a page up on immigrants' sponsorship requirements that has been incorrect for years. I see that sort of stance as being willfully deceptive about "immigrants", and it lets me know I can't trust any of their data. Tell me exactly where I "blend" immigration identifiers together, because I try to categorize the classifications the best I can here.
I didn't say that you personally did but you know that many if not most defenders of illegal immigrants blur the line between legal and illegal. It has happened right here in this forum many times. I don't recall you calling them out on it like you are calling out CIS for it. As for myself, I will have to read their site in order to determine for myself whether they blur the lines or not.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:26 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
...to determine for myself whether they blur the lines or not.
It isn't "blurring the lines", it is outright lying...

Old 11-02-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
It isn't "blurring the lines", it is outright lying...
It's also outright lying to call those in our country illegally plain old immigrants. Wouldn't you agree?

Old 11-03-2012, 05:56 AM

1,575 posts, read 1,735,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwebbster View Post
I think Legal immigrants & work visa holders are a great addition to the country. We need the best &
the brightest. It's the illegals that are a burden on the economey.
Indeed we do need the best and the brightest that are here legally to fill some jobs. Unfortunately, the corporate masters do not play fair and will do anything to add to their bottom line; therein lies the problem. Our borders have remained wide open since 1986 and we have millions of people in this country and nobody has any idea who they are or why they are here. IMHO we need all elected officials to uphold the laws already on the books, a moratorium on all immigration until those here illegally self deport or are forced out of the "shadows" to leave. Those in office that do not adhere to the rule of law should be forced to resign or be booted out of office. Unfortunately, too many Americans have become ignorant, lazy, complacent and comfortable living on welfare and other social programs. I am always amazed how ignorant and disinterestsed people are when I strike up a conversation with them about what is really going on in this country.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
Indeed we do need the best and the brightest that are here legally to fill some jobs. Unfortunately, the corporate masters do not play fair and will do anything to add to their bottom line; therein lies the problem. Our borders have remained wide open since 1986 and we have millions of people in this country and nobody has any idea who they are or why they are here. IMHO we need all elected officials to uphold the laws already on the books, a moratorium on all immigration until those here illegally self deport or are forced out of the "shadows" to leave. Those in office that do not adhere to the rule of law should be forced to resign or be booted out of office. Unfortunately, too many Americans have become ignorant, lazy, complacent and comfortable living on welfare and other social programs. I am always amazed how ignorant and disinterestsed people are when I strike up a conversation with them about what is really going on in this country.
For the most part I don't think the problem is that Americans have become lazy or complacently comfortable living on welfare. That is the spin of the defenders of illegal immigrants. Americans are being discriminated against in the job market for cheap, foreign labor most of whom are here illegally.

I will agree that it is amazing how many Americans don't realize how illegal immigration is hurting the American worker. They think these poor souls are doing nothing wrong and only trying to earn a living. They haven't a clue about the negative impacts to our country's citizens. I am glad I am one who studies both sides of the issue and knows what the truth is. I don't know why so many Americans who don't know the truth are willing to just ignore our immigration laws in the first place because that is really the bottom line anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration