U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 04:10 PM

31,923 posts, read 14,712,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
That is sadly not the case. A co worker of mine was riding his bike to work at 5am. He was stopped and questioned for id and asked why would he be riding a bike at this time of day. He said he was going to work. They checked to make sure he wasn't illegal. He wasn't violating anything, he received no ticket.
When he was late he had to explain why. He was quite upset. He's Mexican/American, was in the army prior and couldn't believe they actually questioned him.
They passed the ask for papers portion in Sept. here. They are suppose to only ask if a crime was committed but seems they are asking on suspicion checks as well. Still, a Mexican/American doesn't want to be shaken down for immigration if they speed or run a red light. White's won't be. It's still a hassle for them. They aren't illegal, why should extra crap happen to you if you are Mex/Amer? It doesn't happen to Irish Americans, or Asian Americans. Just Mexican.
How would you like to be shadowed for anything a police officer can think of you doing wrong so he can check if your illegal? I doubt you'd like it.

We have a lot of white people riding their bikes to work, this hasn't ever happened to one of them. They are just seen as wanting to get fit so they ride their bikes. He was seen sneaking under the radar on his bike. I know he won't vote for Joe.
First off I would need to know more of the details from the cop himself as to why he questioned someone for riding a bike at 5am rather than assuming it was racial profiling as you are. The devils in the details you know. You are only giving your friend's side of the story because that's all you know from his hearsay.

When a white or any other non-hispanic has no ID when stopped by law enforcement how do you know they aren't being checked for immigration status? Again, you assume. Even when stopped for a traffic ticket on the way to work no matter who you are you will probably be late for work.

The fact remains that most illegal immigrants in this country are Mexicans or other Latinos but if you are here legally or a citizen of this country you would have nothing to fear because anyone with half a brain would carry valid ID on them. If it were mostly non-hispanic whites here illegally I would have no problem being stopped under lawful contact and being checked for immigration status because I wouldn't be trying to protect my ethnic group here illegally from detection by crying "racial profiling". It would be more important to me for these illegal immigrants to be caught even if I were a little inconvenienced to see that happen. I guess it all depends on what your agenda is whether you agree with this or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Tan yourself, dye your hair black, drive through Maricopa county and get back to me with your answer.
Funny how Sheriff Arpaio has never been convicted of racial profiling, isn't it? That should tell you something.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:40 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,024,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
First off I would need to know more of the details from the cop himself as to why he questioned someone for riding a bike at 5am rather than assuming it was racial profiling as you are. The devils in the details you know. You are only giving your friend's side of the story because that's all you know from his hearsay...
So it appears that "details" and "hearsay" are one-directional terms in actual usage here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Funny how Sheriff Arpaio has never been convicted of racial profiling, isn't it? That should tell you something.
For what transpired in the recent case I wouldn't just write him off as not being engaged in ethnic profiling...

Old 11-03-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
So it appears that "details" and "hearsay" are one-directional terms in actual usage here...

For what transpired in the recent case I wouldn't just write him off as not being engaged in ethnic profiling...
What recent case? Was he convicted of racial profiling? I think not.

As in anything one should always hear both sides of a story to determine the truth. Just because a Mexican-American or anyone else says they were racially profiled doesn't necessarily make it so.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:57 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,350,866 times
Quote:
You seem to relish that he is being "profiled" (when others here say that isn't, and can't, happen) based on his skin color. Is it only those with a darker skin that are viewed as a threat at airports? Wouldn't that show how profiling would actually make us less safe?

You still haven't told us how you are defining someone as an illegal alien based on appearance to know there are less of them in Phoenix in 2012 than in 2006:
Talk to TSA: if you look "Arab", you're MUCH more likely to be profiled.

I can't always tell who's illegal or not illegal. Let LE deal with it tho I'd Ok letting ICE know if there's a situation.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:25 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,931,891 times
Did you ever notice how the family and friends of a criminal hate the police? The hispanics claim that they are being singled out. The fact that they make up 75% of all illegals doesn't seem to factor in to their annoyance. The fact that most illegals rely on family or friends to facilitate them doesn't factor in to the annoyance.
I would hazard to guess that is isn't the fifth generation Swede who is facilitating the illegals. Where do illegals stay when they first arrive? Who helps them to find work? Who feeds them? Sure some work a deal with the coyotes who smuggle, or the farmer who hires illegals. The majority of illegals do not work farms though.
Tired of being singled out? Blame those who responsible for it. The illegals. The facilitators. The greedy land lords renting single family dwellings to two or more families or a dozen illegals.
Maybe just maybe those of us footing the bill for all those illegals are getting a bit fed up with the pandering.
Some of us sponsoring loved ones the legal way are sick of the facilitators demmanding special treatment for their criminal friends.
Go Joe at least one man is tough on illegals.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:51 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,844,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
That is sadly not the case. A co worker of mine was riding his bike to work at 5am. He was stopped and questioned for id and asked why would he be riding a bike at this time of day. He said he was going to work. They checked to make sure he wasn't illegal. He wasn't violating anything, he received no ticket.
When he was late he had to explain why. He was quite upset. He's Mexican/American, was in the army prior and couldn't believe they actually questioned him.
They passed the ask for papers portion in Sept. here. They are suppose to only ask if a crime was committed but seems they are asking on suspicion checks as well. Still, a Mexican/American doesn't want to be shaken down for immigration if they speed or run a red light. White's won't be. It's still a hassle for them. They aren't illegal, why should extra crap happen to you if you are Mex/Amer? It doesn't happen to Irish Americans, or Asian Americans. Just Mexican.
How would you like to be shadowed for anything a police officer can think of you doing wrong so he can check if your illegal? I doubt you'd like it.

We have a lot of white people riding their bikes to work, this hasn't ever happened to one of them. They are just seen as wanting to get fit so they ride their bikes. He was seen sneaking under the radar on his bike. I know he won't vote for Joe.
Is it possible he knew he'd be late for work and created this story because he thought it would be a good excuse? I find it hard to believe that someone just riding a bike to work would be stopped simply because he appeared to be Mexican. Did he not ask the officer why he was suspected of being illegal? I certainly would. In fact, that would be my first question.

I suppose I'm somewhat cynical because I have heard so many elaborate tales told by employees as an excuse for being late. I also don't understand why he believed his Army service was relevant. Military veterans don't get a pass during traffic sobriety checks. In fact, to my knowledge, all of our laws apply to them the same as other citizens.

Perhaps none of your white coworkers have been stopped during their bike commute to work. But, that still doesn't mean white people (and others) haven't been stopped. Isn't this just an assumption?

Old 11-03-2012, 09:08 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,844,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Did you ever notice how the family and friends of a criminal hate the police? The hispanics claim that they are being singled out. The fact that they make up 75% of all illegals doesn't seem to factor in to their annoyance. The fact that most illegals rely on family or friends to facilitate them doesn't factor in to the annoyance.
I would hazard to guess that is isn't the fifth generation Swede who is facilitating the illegals. Where do illegals stay when they first arrive? Who helps them to find work? Who feeds them? Sure some work a deal with the coyotes who smuggle, or the farmer who hires illegals. The majority of illegals do not work farms though.
Tired of being singled out? Blame those who responsible for it. The illegals. The facilitators. The greedy land lords renting single family dwellings to two or more families or a dozen illegals.
Maybe just maybe those of us footing the bill for all those illegals are getting a bit fed up with the pandering.
Some of us sponsoring loved ones the legal way are sick of the facilitators demmanding special treatment for their criminal friends.
Go Joe at least one man is tough on illegals.
Sadly, they are few and far between. They're too afraid of being labeled a "racist" or losing the Hispanic vote to do what's right. After all, it's now considered racist to even call them "illegal."

Old 11-03-2012, 10:48 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,024,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Is it possible he knew he'd be late for work and created this story because he thought it would be a good excuse? I find it hard to believe that someone just riding a bike to work would be stopped simply because he appeared to be Mexican. Did he not ask the officer why he was suspected of being illegal? I certainly would. In fact, that would be my first question.

I suppose I'm somewhat cynical because I have heard so many elaborate tales told by employees as an excuse for being late. I also don't understand why he believed his Army service was relevant. Military veterans don't get a pass during traffic sobriety checks. In fact, to my knowledge, all of our laws apply to them the same as other citizens...
Great defense, just say the veteran was lying. That is about the same as the disbelief from "Oldglory". No wonder that Hispanics feel that others are out-of-touch to know what goes on with Joe.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:20 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,350,866 times
Quote:
Great defense, just say the veteran was lying. That is about the same as the disbelief from "Oldglory". No wonder that Hispanics feel that others are out-of-touch to know what goes on with Joe.
Benicar speaks the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration