U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 09:19 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,633,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
He's a "pocho", then?....thought his roots went back farther than that. I know Castro is only a first-generation Cuban. And of course "Arnold" has a very short pedigree as a Californian. And George Bush sure don't "talk like no Connecticut Yankee"....but he is one..
Pocho is a somewhat derogatory term for a person of Mexican background who 'forgot' his roots--------Vincente Fox is anything but.

He is a genuine Mexican paisano as well as being 100% White.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 09:22 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,160,565 times
I don't find it derogatory, particularly since I haven't lost my Mexicaness. I do tend to make fun of Mexicans a lot though with my family of course, I joke around about how they pronounce things. for instance.. one of my uncles referred Google as "Gogol" and refers Suburbans as "Suburbians", Walmart as "Gualmar". I can go on all day.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:24 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,633,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Soledad O'Brien looks pretty Hispanic to me. María de la Soledad Teresa O'Brien, just the name gives it away. A lot of Hispanics have REALLY long names.
Not all people with Spanish names are Hispanic-------Filipinos come to mind.

And; believe it or not, Great Britain has a sizable 'Hispanic' community-----although they would be 'Anglo' here in the USA.

http://www.carnavaldelpueblo.co.uk/photogallery/CdP_03_12.jpg (broken link)

Carnaval de Pueblo (http://www.carnavaldelpueblo.co.uk/portrait.htm - broken link) in London, England

Old 10-10-2007, 09:31 PM

True true. Can't leave out our part Spanish friends in the Philippines. I know a lot of Filipinos with Hispanic last names such as Cruz, Gutierrez e.t.c

Old 10-10-2007, 09:48 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,619,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Pocho is a somewhat derogatory term for a person of Mexican background who 'forgot' his roots--------Vincente Fox is anything but.

He is a genuine Mexican paisano as well as being 100% White.
"Pocho" around here has always meant a "Mexican" (obviously usually a Mexican-American) unable to speak Spanish. But one time in Mexico, I was told a "pocho" was a Mexican with one gringo/a parent.---quite a different meaning. Can't argue with either of these points---your definition sounds like the "traditional" one I've been used to...

Old 10-10-2007, 09:49 PM

15,371 posts, read 33,778,569 times
Quote:
True true. Can't leave out our part Spanish friends in the Philippines. I know a lot of Filipinos with Hispanic last names such as Cruz, Gutierrez e.t.c
Because the philippines were at one time a Spanish colony.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:51 PM

I know man I took World Civ. two years ago.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
I don't find it derogatory, particularly since I haven't lost my Mexicaness. I do tend to make fun of Mexicans a lot though with my family of course, I joke around about how they pronounce things. for instance.. one of my uncles referred Google as "Gogol" and refers Suburbans as "Suburbians", Walmart as "Gualmar". I can go on all day.
Are you familiar with the art of "Mexican judo ?" Quite popular around here

Old 10-10-2007, 09:53 PM

Never heard of it, can you clarify it?

Old 10-10-2007, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Never heard of it, can you clarify it?
Doesn't work in Spanish--must be told in accented English--
Three guys meet in a bar---discuss self defense, Ex-marine swears by the use of "karate"......big biker claims he uses "Kung fu". Short little Mexican guy says he relies on "mexican judo". When pressed for details, he explains,
"I stick the hand inside the pocket, and I make the fist. An when you seeing me, my friend,
JUDO know if I have the knife--and
JUDO know if I have the pistola---and
JUDO know if I have the brass knuckles---in fact,
JUDO know WHAT the hell I got, but joo know one thing--
JUDO wanta wait around to find out !"........

Seems to work around here (sounds best after a few beers).....my nephew can really "get into" this one....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or