U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-10-2007, 10:15 PM
 
Location: California
3,432 posts, read 2,157,153 times
Reputation: 138

Advertisements

LOL! Theres a couple like this involving pinking up phones and saying yellow. I don't even Speak Spanish, I speak Spanglish. For example:

"Yea dude, it was hella funny cuando those paisas over there se fueron to the store a comprar hella nieves de corn e de chile. Hella nasty eda?" You should see the kind of looks me and my cousins get when we go to Mexico. Picture this, a group of around 15 teenagers walking around a town with a population of about 700, speaking Spanglish and messing around in the streets lighting fire crackers in front of peoples houses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-11-2007, 06:32 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
LOL! Theres a couple like this involving pinking up phones and saying yellow. I don't even Speak Spanish, I speak Spanglish. For example:

"Yea dude, it was hella funny cuando those paisas over there se fueron to the store a comprar hella nieves de corn e de chile. Hella nasty eda?" You should see the kind of looks me and my cousins get when we go to Mexico. Picture this, a group of around 15 teenagers walking around a town with a population of about 700, speaking Spanglish and messing around in the streets lighting fire crackers in front of peoples houses?
For God's sake; ProLogic, be more careful down there-------you being an American could get you into real trouble in Mexico pulling stunts like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2007, 11:35 AM
 
17,279 posts, read 24,961,305 times
Reputation: 8519
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Doesn't work in Spanish--must be told in accented English--
Three guys meet in a bar---discuss self defense, Ex-marine swears by the use of "karate"......big biker claims he uses "Kung fu". Short little Mexican guy says he relies on "mexican judo". When pressed for details, he explains,
"I stick the hand inside the pocket, and I make the fist. An when you seeing me, my friend,
JUDO know if I have the knife--and
JUDO know if I have the pistola---and
JUDO know if I have the brass knuckles---in fact,
JUDO know WHAT the hell I got, but joo know one thing--
JUDO wanta wait around to find out !"........

Seems to work around here (sounds best after a few beers).....my nephew can really "get into" this one....


Haha, reminds me of my Colombian step-grandmother, who used to say, "New Jork" and "New Yersey."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2007, 12:28 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Haha, reminds me of my Colombian step-grandmother, who used to say, "New Jork" and "New Yersey."
Did she sit in her "share" while she put on her "choos?" My wife's mom often did this, before a shopping trip to "K-Marx", stopping to buy gas at the "Mobile" station---(or sometimes, the "Chell" station)-then on to the pharmacy to get her "peels".....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2007, 01:21 PM
 
Location: California
3,432 posts, read 2,157,153 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
For God's sake; ProLogic, be more careful down there-------you being an American could get you into real trouble in Mexico pulling stunts like that.
When ever I speak to my Mexican relatives about immigration they think I'm a Nazi. And where my parents live there are no police officers or law enforcement. Besides my wannabe aunt and uncle who are the "Guard" as well as another group of volunteer individuals. They talk about stuff over walkie talkie. Nothing to fear, but I would like you to know. If one of them tries to fight me I'm about 2 heads taller than all the people my age. Everyones all like "OMG! How is your son so tall?!". I respond "Actually, I'm 5'11, thats average height for an American male."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2007, 06:19 PM
 
Location: The world, where will fate take me this time?
3,162 posts, read 10,295,946 times
Reputation: 1423
Quote:
Originally Posted by PApisces View Post
Like you, I am not certain of a reasonable or viable solution. However, a GREAT first step would be for MEXICO to start taking responsibility for it's own poor and/or desperate.
Couldn't agree more with you Papisces, the current mexican government is actually starting to do something, they just raised taxes and oil in order to fund ambitious education, welfare, science and infrastructure projects, unfortunately things aren't happening as fast as they should and I won't tell you everything is pretty, but Mexico is evolving the development and prosperity engines are starting to start and it'll get faster with time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApisces View Post
I believe that although I am vehemently "anit-Illegal" in regards to the concept of Illegal immigration, have absolutely no ill-will towards the individual in most cases unless they are here committing other more serious crimes. To the contrary, they were victimized by their own country's lack of interest in supporting it's own poor preferring instead to rely on the U.S. as it's "welfare" sysem.

I think the feelings of most ant-ILLEGAL folks like myself is that we are tired of being forced to solve another country's problems with our hard-earned dollars.
Yes and it's totally understandable, the problem is that both of our governments encourage this massive immigration the Mexican government because it's an escape valve for its social problems and the US government because it receives billions of dollars from corporations who also brought the war of terrorism under the world, the very ones who dismantled america's manufacturing base and sent it to China and the very ones who've put America on self destruct mode with Bush government, most people in the world know now about Bush n theri friends actions and what their real interests are.


Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I don't even particularly dislike illegal immigrants. I've known many personally, worked with them, and find their cheerfulness, honesty, and willingness to work hard, to be very admirable. I've disliked a few, but most I've met, I have felt very warmly toward. As individuals I don't blame them a bit.

But I've never met an "activist"--and it's hard to justify their defiant, in-your-face attitude of entitlement. When gratitude for the opportunities given to these illegals (which most used to have), is replaced by an ungrateful sense of entitlement, things have gone too far. The rate of immigration now is at such a point that no one can honestly say illegal immigration benefits America. It may benefit Mexico, but not us. Yet we continue to hear this message, and we are growing impatient.
I totally agree with you macmeal, these "activists" on a totally different level, I believe (imho) that truly poor or desperate people who are really fleeing terrible things and doesn't have many options should be treated with compasion and understanding, but these activists aren't poor desperate people most of the time, they have other interests and for sure there is something shady behind them, they remind me a lot of a problem we are having right now here in Mexico city, there are thousands of street merchants who don't pay taxes, most of what they sell is counterfeit or pirate stuff, they have absolutely no respect, they steal the energy, litter the streets, they don't let people walk in the streets because their are full of their merchandise, and because of all these actions their fellow citizens and the owners of stores and other small business suffer because they frighten customers and are a unloyal competence because they don't pay taxes thus forcing them into bankruptcy.

unfortunately this I don't give a S*T culture originated during the 71 years regime we had under the PRI (a mexican party) in order to hold power for so long, they offered or tolerated that these small groups did whatever they pleased in order to get votes as well a lot of other things that made corruption run rampant, now that we are on a democratic system actions have been taken to stop this street merchant phenomenon and do you know what happens? the activists start making manifestations all around the city, saying how they have the right to do this and how evil the government and the rich people are because they are depriving them of their honest labor, the worst thing is that these activists make millions charging an illegal tax to the street merchants for protection against the authorities, these leaders are very powerful and rich and they use the money to buy the autorities, this happens because there is not enough jobs or living wages for everybody and these activists take advantage of it for their personal gain do you see a trend here? it is really a nasty problem because it has been really hard for the government to control this, it grew this big because during the corrupt one party only regime they were votes for the official party

But I guess this is our problem and we have to deal with it and trust me I don't know how many of you people have been to Mexico or how much do you know about it, but not all the Mexicans want to live in the US and break the law or disrespect our neighboors, a lot of us are very happy with our country and we struggle everyday to make it a success and to end with this kind of social diseases, but we are winning, Mexico is starting to step on it's own feet now and this is just starting we've only had 7 years of democracy and the past 6 years were a learning process, Vicente Fox was a great candidate but a lame President, I think it this whole illegal problem got much worse because of his decisions, but we now have a president that so far looks much more promising, in just one year a lot of changes have been made in congress which are lifting Mexican economy, he recently said that ilegal immigration to the United states is unavoidable at this time, something that was not clearly understood, what he said is not that Mexico doesn't care or assumes responsiblity for this phenomenon, but that it will take some time to lift Mexico's economy so much to keep everybody here.

And no I don't Mexico benefits from ilegal immigration, thousands of people loose their lifes anually while attempting to break in, a lot of families are divided because of this, too many children left behind in Mexico or the States, and a growing hostility from our American friends is by no means doing Mexico any good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I don't blame the people of Mexico, but I do blame their corrupt leadership-as well as OUR corrupt leadership. I don't dislike Mexicans--what I can't stand, to use a phrase common in Texas, is "bullsh*t". The arguments given in support of continued illegal immigration are becoming an insult to my intelligence.

I appreciated the honesty of your post, and I wish you well.....
Totally agree with you man, things could be solved in a much better way without so many bull and more cooperation from everybody, after all we are all stuck in this, and Thank God for the internet and the forums, because we can exchange ideas and thing of good actions to solve this problem together.

I wish you well too

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivski View Post
travelling fella:

i hear what you are saying, and i too agree though hate to admit our own governmant has failed us as americans.
you did not say whether you ever paln on coming to america, or not, legally or illegally, but i would welcome you if you chose the legal way.
Hi vivski, as much as I love America and enjoy it when I go for business or for pleasure (legally) or the many friends I have there I'd never leave Mexico I love my country and I feel confortably here, when I was younger I had the chance to legally immigrate to America because I worked for an American firm and they asked me if I'd like to be transferred, I was already spending too much time there attending courses and getting trained and it was then when I Felt the call to return, I also lived in Brazil for 2 years because of my job and even though I love this awesome country, I couldn't stop thinking of Mexico, you don't know how happy I was when I returned to my homeland.

Second I want to thank you for your hospitality in the case I decided to legally immigrate, let me tell you that I'm fully aware of what you are offering me and I really appreciate it man, not all citizens or countries would welcome you that easily!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivski View Post
I would like to touch on one thing that you said, and it was about americans spending more that they can afford,though.

my response to you is this.... americans....we are our brothers keeper...the referees of the world. we have big shoulders and open pocketbooks. when the cause is warranted....
that is been proved throughout history....first we freed ourselves from a tyrannical government, we fed the hungry in ethiopia, we fought the nazis,we provide aid to many , many countries in need, without questioning why most times.
we have defended many nations over the history of america...too many to count...but two in particular in these days...iraq and afghanistan come to mind...

we fund this war for good reasons to fight terrorism(which is a different topic alll together) but we do it, allowing ourselves to go into debt to fight for the greater good, and to help others obtain freedom.

i , for one will give my tax dollars to fight terrorism of any kind....i will be my brothers keeper because i believe it is my responsibility to do so....but i refuse to give my hard earned dollars on illegal immigration...i will refuse to accept an illegal immigrant is not a threat.
Dear vivski you are saying a lot of things that are true here about how during it's history America has been generous and saved a lot of people around the world, but with all respect America has also had it's share of unjust wars hiding upon the higher moral mask while the truth they were waged just to fuel the war economy, and these 2 wars are just that, at least this is the general perception of most of the world (including most of American citizens) and this war is making America and the world are worse place to live, and it's leading America's economy to hard times and with it the world's economy too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivski View Post
on 9-11 america woke up on the subject of illegal immigration, after it was proven that all the terrorists were here illegally in some way or another...as for my family, we learned the hard way that illegal immigation was alive and thriving in america,
we were affected in the worst way that can happen, there are too many more victims of illegal immigrants ,i have learned, that have also been affected by this invasion,(which would usually be a battle cry, instead of a whisper to our government) this makes me sick...it makes me cry.


i will defend me if you ask...i hope mexico flourishes, because it is a beautiful place....with great people that come from and live in it...
but come here illegally, demand rights even american ciotizens are not afforded, take my hard earned tax dollars, injure maim or kill one of my loved ones, neighbors or friends, and this bald eagle is gonna fight you tooth and nail....


again, i think if 20 + miliion american illegals invaded your country and screamed in your face, you too would have to take notice and choose a side.

i choose america.
Man I clearly understand you and I understand most of american's who are worried about this, it breaks my heart that all this issue is being let fester for such a long time that is gonna explode if we don't stop it and it'll be nasty, I'd do the same if I were you, although I don't believe in violence some action would be needed, something smart and effective I think it's possible to solve this immigration issue, but with American government so distracted about the war on terrorism, which suddenly became the war of iraq II while bin laden is still nowhere to be found it would be really hard to do anything.

Also I think that a difference must be made between people who is really desperate and come ilegally because it's either that or death and that trully want to be part of the American dream, that is in spite of their ilegal status trying hard to learn english, learning to respect and love the country who opened the doors to them and contribuiting in a positive way to their communities, and those activists who have a much darker agenda and come and disrespect america in all possible ways rightly infuriating american citizens or terrorists, drug dealers people smugglers, etc

If you think amnesty or that kind of solution just sends the wrong message for people thus encouraging even more law breaking behavior, then I think at least these people deserve a chance to have simpler and ways of immigrating legally proving they are really going to strive to become american (because that's the ideal of the american dream isn't it? to embrace america and defend it because it is giving you the chance to fulfill your dreams)

and while it's true that America doesn't owe anything to these people, I think it's always been an integral part of the American spirit to help people in need this had been the basis of the country since it's foundation and it's what made it a great country.

Now finally I would like to say that while it's true that immigration is having terrible effects on everybody's lifes specially because of the growing hostility it is generating, I think that media have exaggerated the problem, and while it's true illegal immigration is a risk to america's security, prosperity, stability because it's out of control there are things that are harming America and it's citizens much more, for example those tax breaks for the top 1% wealthiest citizens and coorporations the government enacted are putting a much greater strain on the economy / welfare system, or the fact that these coorporations dismantled the american manufacturing base and sent it to china, is a much worse threat to american jobs and wages, add the war to the equation, now what will happen if american economy hits the fan, Mexican, Canadian, and most of the world's economy will melt down, thus bringing much more illegal immigration and problems.

Governments and coorporations benefit from illegal immigration and that's why they keep it illegal, they won't let go their source of income so easily and that's why they made so hard to immigrate legally and give a blind eye to illegal immigration most of the time.

it is us, the average fellow who have to do something to stop this mad system, and we can only do it with if there is harmony and understanding between us, we might be mexican, american, canadian, chinese, whatever but all of us are human beings, and we will be human beings for a limited amount of time only. But we are and we'll be sons of God forever

Love and Light, God bless you my brothers

Last edited by Travelling fella; 10-11-2007 at 07:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2007, 08:14 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,268 times
Reputation: 11
Default Illegal aliens are breaking our laws

Bottom line, these illegals are entering our county, sneaking in and demanding every right that a legal citizen has. They don't have any rights, they should not be here in the first place. They are crowding our schools, hospitals and taking away welfare money that our citizens in need are having to do without or take cuts.
President Fox was just in Fox news and the man sounded brain dead. All he knows is that illegal aliens from Mexico are sending back millions of dollars a month to Mexico, millions of social security money goes there every month...that's right SOCIAL SECURITY. Jose goes home after staying in this country illegally, fathers twelve more kids and kicks the bucket...these kids that never entered USA collect Social security from the US.
Mexico is full of drug dealers, murders and they come here to US and kill our people and break our laws. How many more innocent victims will we allow before US gets serious and throws the bunch of them back to Mexico? And now Mexico has the nerve to ship school books into the US so little Mexican kids and be educated with the Mexican slant. They love Mexico so much let them all go home.
During WWII thats exactly what they did. Rather than serve in our military they high tailed it back to Mexico...they are cowards and just take all they can get.
If US would let the Border Patrol enforce the laws ALREADY ON THE BOOKS we all would be a lot safer. They are taking the jobs that Americans don't want is a bunch of crap. How do I know all of this, my husband was a border Patrol agent for 23 years and watched this country go down the tubes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2007, 08:38 PM
 
273 posts, read 178,299 times
Reputation: 101
If what you say about Mexicans being cowards is true, and our next President supports securing our border, then there will be no more illegal immigration. Just because someone doesn't want a fight, doesn't mean they're a coward. I do believe the majority of the 20 million illegals will be in for a lifetime of hardship, whether they stay or leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2007, 08:43 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo-me View Post
If what you say about Mexicans being cowards is true, and our next President supports securing our border, then there will be no more illegal immigration. Just because someone doesn't want a fight, doesn't mean they're a coward. I do believe the majority of the 20 million illegals will be in for a lifetime of hardship, whether they stay or leave.
I strongly disagree about the 'lifetime of hardship' part; with Mexico's plummeting birthrate, in a few years SOB will likely be facing labor shortages------which will force wages up. Assuming of course the Mexican government does not pull a 'USA' and allow illegals in from Guatamala, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2007, 01:04 AM
 
Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,614,770 times
Reputation: 2108
Default Please stay on topic

Moderator cut: Please stay on topic and follow the flow of the discussion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top