U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 10:14 AM

348 posts, read 915,403 times

Advertisements

I just heard this on the radio this morning...I think we all knew it already.

Inside Today's Bulletin
Study Shows 38 Million Illegal Immigrants In U.S.
By: Joe Murray, The Bulletin
10/10/2007

The Bulletin - Philadelphia's Family Newspaper - Study Shows 38 Million Illegal Immigrants In U.S. (http://www.thebulletin.us/site/news.cfm?newsid=18901557&BRD=2737&PAG=461&dept_id= 576361&rfi=6 - broken link)

A new study released by Californians for Population Stabilization (CAPS) claims that there are 38 million illegal immigrants living in the United States, a number larger than the 11.6 million illegal immigrants estimated by the Census Bureau and Department of Homeland Security.
"Guessing the number of illegal aliens in the United States is like playing the lottery - more than a million to one that you will be right on," wrote James H. Walsh, a former associate general counsel of the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS).
Mr. Walsh argues his "estimate of 38 million illegal aliens residing in the United States is calculated, however, using a conservative annual rate of entry (allowing for deaths and returns to their homelands) of three illegal aliens entering the United States for each one apprehended." Mr. Walsh also adds 2 million for visa overstays.
Mr. Walsh was not the only contributor to the CAPS study, as a number of immigration experts presented evidence trying to ascertain the number of illegal aliens in the U.S. and the consequences a broken border has on the nation. The study quickly came under fire and Diana Hull, president of CAPS, was quick to correct media misrepresentations.
In yesterday's Houston Chronicle, Julie Mason reported the study was not "credited or supported by other independent research," a claim strongly disavowed by Ms. Hull.
"When that reporter says this study is not supported by independent research, she is wrong," stated Ms. Hull, who pointed to the research provided by the study's contributors, as well as L.A. Times and Time magazine reports that the number of illegal immigrants exceeds the Census Bureau numbers, an agency Ms. Hull believes is not in the position to provide reliable data on the issue.
"The problem with the Census data is not that the Census Bureau is a bad agency. ... It is that the method they rely on, the questionnaire/self-report method, is completely dependent on what people tell them," stated Ms. Hull. Ms. Hull argues that illegal aliens will not be truthful in responding to how many people live in a household.
In explaining why the study was published, Ms. Hull stated she wanted to make sure the Senate, which has been flirting with amnesty, remembered the mistake it made in 1986 when it granted amnesty to 2.7 million illegal aliens. Ten years following the amnesty, a measure meant to reduce illegal immigration, the government reported 10 million illegal aliens in the nation, and today there are potentially 38 million illegal aliens in the country.
Despite such numbers, former Pennsylvania governor and Homeland Security Director Tom Ridge is calling for a more lenient visa policy. Mr. Ridge, who is an affiliate with the Discover America Partnership, a pro-business lobby seeking to make international travel easier, argued the U.S. needed to be more inviting to foreigners.
Locally, state lawmakers in Harrisburg have been trying to pass immigration reform. State Rep. Daryl Metcalfe, R-Butler, has spearheaded immigration reform legislation as part of his National Security Begins at Home campaign. The legislation, which, among other things, would punish employers of illegal aliens and permit local law enforcement to aid in the enforcement of federal immigration laws, faces an uphill battle in the Pennsylvania legislature.
Mr. Metcalfe recently published a study showing 3,100 illegal immigrants have committed crimes in Pennsylvania and stated "Democrat Leader Bill DeWeese and Speaker of the House Dennis O'Brien have now been officially served with more than 3,100 undeniable, criminal reasons" to pass his legislation.

©The Evening Bulletin 2007
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 10:25 AM

457 posts, read 303,201 times
I think we should increase funding to the INS (DHS) to create squads/swat teams of Illegal Alien "hunters". they can start with all the "barrios" in and around Dallas, Grand Prairie, and all the other places they are well-known to infest. Round em up, and DEPORT them all. Anything less is unacceptable.

In additon, we can placed armed border guards, licensed to kill, all along the southern borders. Fences haven't worked to deter the massive flow. I'll bet you a million dollars BULLETS will. I don't advocate shooting them all, of course. But, if they know we WILL after shooting a few of them that may give them a little more pause for careful thought.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:13 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,225,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PApisces View Post
I think we should increase funding to the INS (DHS) to create squads/swat teams of Illegal Alien "hunters". they can start with all the "barrios" in and around Dallas, Grand Prairie, and all the other places they are well-known to infest. Round em up, and DEPORT them all. Anything less is unacceptable.

In additon, we can placed armed border guards, licensed to kill, all along the southern borders. Fences haven't worked to deter the massive flow. I'll bet you a million dollars BULLETS will. I don't advocate shooting them all, of course. But, if they know we WILL after shooting a few of them that may give them a little more pause for careful thought.
Ever heard of operation wet back? They rounded them up and sent them back under an operation by that name under Eisenhauser I believe. Drastic times call for drastic measures unless we want to kiss this great nation goodbye.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:52 PM

2,432 posts, read 6,010,881 times
Hebert Hoover did it as well. Technically most weren't 'deported' thought, they were 'repatriated'.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:51 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,665,827 times
As I have commented on in the past: that '38 million' sounds way too high. I am leaning towards the 12-15 million number.

Now; factoring in the 1-2 anchor babies (who are US citizens) per illegal immigrant----that would roughly equal about 38 million admittedly.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:57 PM

537 posts, read 313,383 times
And the government has been usin g the number 12 milliuon since the year 2000. Think no other illegals have entered the country since then? Yeah, I do believe it and one can tell since thay are everywhere in this country. BTW, the anchore babies that they keep popping out just add to the number of people who have no business being in our country.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veiled Prophet View Post
And the government has been usin g the number 12 milliuon since the year 2000. Think no other illegals have entered the country since then?
Most conservative estimates indicate about five thousand are coming over the border every single day. But many do in fact go home then come back numerous times. I'd say 38 million very well may be pretty close to being right.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:46 PM

457 posts, read 303,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
Most conservative estimates indicate about five thousand are coming over the border every single day. But many do in fact go home then come back numerous times. I'd say 38 million very well may be pretty close to being right.
To put that number into perspective, that is more than 3 times the population of Pennsylvania(12.2 million), and just shy of the population of PA(12.2 million) and NY(19.3 million) put together.

Pennsylvania QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
New York QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

I am sooooo thankful to be moving back to PA while the gettings good. You literally couldn't pay me to stay in Texas. It will be the frontline before long.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:11 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,120,875 times
Of Course its at least 38 million illegals. How else did the population swell so fast. The politicians want you to believe there are only 11 million so it will not seem so bad to grant amnesty. Then once they all get amnesty we'll have over 50 million apply for it.

DO NOT BELIEVE YOUR GOVERNMENT.

MOD CUT

Last edited by NewToCA; 10-13-2007 at 10:17 PM.. Reason: Don't politically advertise in this forum!!!

Old 10-13-2007, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
Of Course its at least 38 million illegals. How else did the population swell so fast. The politicians want you to believe there are only 11 million so it will not seem so bad to grant amnesty. Then once they all get amnesty we'll have over 50 million apply for it.

DO NOT BELIEVE YOUR GOVERNMENT.
We pretty much doubled our population here in the US over the last 50 some odd years. If we don't get a handle on this illegal alien situation our population will double again in a lot less time that it did last time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or