U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 12:17 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Don't you mean age 21?...

And I've corrected you on that very detail before...

"Oldglory" made the claim that "Hispanics enjoy the largest quotas of legal immigration into our country by far", somebody please help him out over the claim...

Can you source that, or is that another unsubstantiated claim made on this forum that we just have to take on faith?...
Looks like I just caught you in another whopper.

From a government site:

Immigrant Visa for a Spouse of a U.S. Citizen (IR1 or CR1)

Visas
Americans Traveling Abroad
Find a U.S. Embassy
A to Z Index
Visas Questions?» What Is a Visa?
U.S. Visa Policy
Visa News
Temporary Visitors to the U.S.» Travel Without a Visa
Visa Types for Temporary Visitors
Visa Wait Times
Visa Information for Temporary Visitors
Rights and Protections Pamphlet
Immigrants to the U.S.» Visa Types for Immigrants
National Visa Center Immigrant Visa Processing
Visa Information for Immigrants
Rights and Protections Pamphlet
Visa Bulletin
Forms
Photograph Requirements» Photo Examples
Digital Image Requirements
Photo Composition Template
Photographer's Guide
Frequently Asked Questions
Photo Glossary
Fees and Reciprocity Tables
Frequently Requested Visa Information» Visa Denials
Ineligibilities and Waivers
Visa Glossary
Visa Statistics» Immigrant Visas
Nonimmigrant Visas
Graphs
Laws, Regulations and Policy »Code of Federal Regulations
Foreign Affairs Manual
Visa Policy Updates
Links to Relevant Legal and Policy Web sites
About Visa Services» Who We Are
How to Contact Us

Print Email Glossary

Important Notice: I-601 Provisional Waiver Procedures Not in Effect

On March 30, 2012, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) posted a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking in the Federal Register about new procedures under consideration for some I-601 waiver applications. These new procedures will be limited to immediate relatives of U.S. citizens (spouse, children, and parent). The new procedures will not apply to family-sponsored preference visa categories. I-601 Provisional Waiver Procedures are not in effect. Learn more.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What Is a "Spouse"?
The First Step toward an Immigrant Visa: Filing the Petition
U.S. Sponsor Minimum Age Requirement
Is Residence in the U.S. Required for the U.S. Sponsor?
If You Were an LPR and Are Now a U.S. Citizen: Upgrading a Petition
Next Steps - Fees, Affidavit of Support, and Visa Application
Fees
Required Documentation
Visa Interview
Rights and Protections - Pamphlet
Medical Examination and Vaccinations
Vaccination Requirements
What Is Conditional Residence?
How Long Does It Take?
Ineligibilities for Visas - What If the Applicant Is Ineligible for a Visa?
Misrepresentation of Material Facts or Fraud
When You Have Your Immigrant Visa - What You Should Know
Entering the U.S. - Port of Entry
How to Apply for a Social Security Number Card
Additional Information
General Visa Questions
What Is a "Spouse"?
A spouse is a legally wedded husband or wife.

Merely living together does not qualify a marriage for immigration.
Common-law spouses may qualify as spouses for immigration purposes depending on the laws of the country where the common-law marriage occurs.
In cases of polygamy, only the first spouse may qualify as a spouse for immigration.
Same-sex marriages are not recognized by immigration law for the purpose of immigrating to the U.S.
The First Step toward an Immigrant Visa: Filing the Petition
The first step is to file a Petition for Alien Relative, Form I-130, with the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for your spouse (husband or wife) to immigrate to the United States. For instructions on how to file a petition, including where you should send the petition, see the USCIS website.

In certain circumstances, a U.S. citizen living abroad can file an immigrant visa petition outside of the United States. Review Filing Immigrant Petitions Outside the United States to learn more.

There is no minimum age for a U.S. sponsor (petitioner) to file a petition for a spouse. However, you must be at least 18 years of age and have a residence (domicile) in the U.S. before you can sign the Affidavit of Support (Form I-864 or I-864EZ). This form is required for an immigrant visa for a spouse and other relatives of U.S. sponsors.

A non government source -- in case you don't trust the government on this:

http://www.formdomain.com/aosfaq.htm

The family member who filed the visa petition for the immigrant must be a sponsor. In certain circumstances, additional persons can accept joint legal responsibility with the petitioner as joint sponsors. Sponsors must also be U.S. citizens, nationals, or lawful permanent residents; age 18 or over; and live in one of the 50 States, Washington, DC, or a United States territory or possession.

Is there a limit on the number of joint sponsors?
There is no limit on the number of joint sponsors; however, each joint sponsor must meet the 125 percent of the poverty line income requirement for their household size. Joint sponsors are not permitted if the petitioner meets the income requirements unless an Immigration or Consular Officer requests one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 01:15 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,010,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Looks like I just caught you in another whopper.

From a government site:

[snip]

There is no minimum age for a U.S. sponsor (petitioner) to file a petition for a spouse. However, you must be at least 18 years of age and have a residence (domicile) in the U.S. before you can sign the Affidavit of Support (Form I-864 or I-864EZ). This form is required for an immigrant visa for a spouse and other relatives of U.S. sponsors...

[snip]
[City-Data doesn't have an emoticon to represent how hard I just laughed]

Why not just go to the source when you are specifically referring to the age an "Anchor Baby" must be to sponsor their parents and siblings: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-130instr.pdf

Not only have I brought this up on the forum before, but I even posted a graphic of it:

I'm more interested in you sourcing this comment (since you are looking around for "whoppers" already):

Quote:
...And no -- the family sponsor is not required to actually provide financial support for his or her immigrants. Sponsorship only means the sponsor's income is included with the immigrants in determining food stamps, SSI, and other welfare programs, nor is the sponsor required to even provide health insurance or pay for the medical care of his or her immigrants --- all that gets dumped on the taxpayers.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
...That's the whole purpose in giving birth here, they can even return home until the child is 18, and then the child can sponsor them to all come here --- legally...
Reviewing the graphic above, whom is included in your "all" statement?...

I want to see if you will again say that Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, and Cousins are included...

Old 11-21-2012, 03:48 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
Reviewing the graphic above, whom is included in your "all" statement?...

I want to see if you will again say that Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, and Cousins are included...
The last time I checked, grandparents can indeed be "parents" to be sponsored. Aunts can indeed be "sisters" to be sponsored. Uncles can indeed be "brothers" to be sponsored. And, cousins are the "children" of aunts and uncles. Let's not play games. They bring their whole damn family here. And, you know it.

In fact, I am a mother, daughter, sister, and aunt all rolled into one. And, I hope to one day be a grandmother.

Last edited by Benicar; 11-21-2012 at 03:58 PM..

Old 11-21-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
The last time I checked, grandparents can indeed be "parents" to be sponsored. Aunts can indeed be "sisters" to be sponsored. Uncles can indeed be "brothers" to be sponsored. And, cousins are the "children" of aunts and uncles. Let's not play games.

In fact, I am a mother, daughter, sister, and aunt all rolled into one. And, I hope to one day be a grandmother.
This is no time to be coy, I'm referring to the relationship with the sponsor, as shown in the I-130 instructions...

You of all people should be able to understand a government form...

Old 11-21-2012, 04:04 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
This is no time to be coy, I'm referring to the relationship with the sponsor, as shown in the I-130 instructions...

You of all people should be able to understand a government form...
If you sponsored your mother, would she not be your children's GRANDMOTHER?

If you sponsored your brother, would he not be your children's UNCLE?

If you sponsored your sister, would she not be your children's AUNT?

If your brother or sister then sponsored their children, would they not be your children's COUSINS?

Again, the entire family ultimately comes through family sponsorship.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
If you sponsored your mother, would she not be your children's GRANDMOTHER?

If you sponsored your brother, would he not be your children's UNCLE?

If you sponsored your sister, would she not be your children's AUNT?

If your brother or sister then sponsored their children, would they not be your children's COUSINS?

Again, the entire family ultimately comes through family sponsorship.
I am still trying to figure out this odd tangent you have embarked on here...

Happy Thanksgiving everyone - There is much to be thankful for...

Old 11-22-2012, 08:11 PM

32,798 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Quote:
I am still trying to figure out this odd tangent you have embarked on here...

Happy Thanksgiving everyone - There is much to be thankful for...
Happy Thanksgiving. I hope in the end we all want what is best for our Country even if we don't agree on how to get there.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Happy Thanksgiving. I hope in the end we all want what is best for our Country even if we don't agree on how to get there.
Sure, but after exchanges like above I even wonder if I am talking the same language...

Old 11-23-2012, 08:59 AM

32,798 posts, read 30,034,103 times
I guess it's game on.............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration