U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-07-2012, 09:59 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,819,682 times
Reputation: 22174

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Just looking at some of the numbers and the fact Romney couldn't even get to McCain numbers suggest evangelicals stayed home to a degree probably because of his religion.
Actually for an incumbent president, Obama did not do especially well. This was clearly no landslide.

And he's promised far too much -- no way can he begin to fulfill all those promises.

To the Americans he's promised to fix the economy -- to create them many millions of jobs.

To the illegals he's promised to rebuild the housing bubble, to create millions of jobs for them in the housing industry -- jobs he says hispanics like.

He really has not plan to create millions of jobs for both 24 million unemployed Americans and the millions of foreigners coming and soon to come. Immigration was up in 2012, it will be up in 2013 especially now that Obama has promised a very big amnesty to all who make it here illegally.

Already today on a popular Mexican radio show there was anger as they said that it was the Mexican vote that has put Obama in the White House twice now and he'd better come through for them now and get them their amnesty and citizenship. One guy was very heated and angry Obama didn't do it in the first year of his first term and another explained that he had to fix the economy first but now it's time and he's convinced it will be the first thing Obama will do now.

I expect protests soon, and violence if they aren't given their way. Like on this show the more insistent guy said to hell with the economy -- Obama had better come up with amnesty quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-07-2012, 10:24 PM
 
Location: Cali
3,887 posts, read 6,006,967 times
Reputation: 2200
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Perhaps. I mean, i'm not ready to prognosticate that far out. Hell, i thought Obama was gonna lose this election for the last few years, so i don't know.

But of course, someone will emerge. Remember that Obama appeared out of thin air.
Yes, someone will emerge, but it won't be Obama and that is the problem for the Democracts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2012, 10:29 PM
 
Location: Cali
3,887 posts, read 6,006,967 times
Reputation: 2200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
You better check with Texas 1st; they gave Mexico the boot in 1836 and, while you're at it, Guatemala also threw out Mexico in 1830. IMHO we did mess up: the US should've taken ALL of Mexico in 1848.

Not much noble about Mexico: it's a messed up country where the rich Mexicans don't like "brown" people.
A_Lexus probably thinks that the American Southwest would be a paradise today if it had stayed in Mexico's hands.lol

Last edited by CamaroGuy; 11-07-2012 at 10:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2012, 11:44 PM
 
47,314 posts, read 24,709,156 times
Reputation: 14471
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
Yes, someone will emerge, but it won't be Obama and that is the problem for the Democracts.
LOL...yea, well Republicans would LOVE for Reagan to come walking through that door too, but it ain't gonna happen.

Life goes on. Obama will probably be missed just like Clinton is missed, but the the world doesn't stop turning on it's axis for anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2012, 03:49 AM
 
1,150 posts, read 992,394 times
Reputation: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticat View Post
What makes you think that Latinos would support the GOP? Every single analysis I've read indicates that their voting patterns are liberal. Didn't California used to be a fairly conservative state? They might have some conservative leanings on social issues, but like a lot of people do not vote on social issues, but on economic ones. And they seem to feel that their economic interests lies with social programs offered by Democrats.

After all, the first mass amnesty was pushed through by Reagan. Did that result in a massive shift towards the GOP by Latinos? Again, every single poll and analysis I have read indicates that Latinos are economically liberal, excepting perhaps the Cubans in Florida and even that is changing with the younger generations. Being hard-working has nothing to do with it. My family was hard-working, but always voted Democrat because they perceived it to be the party which favored the working class, of which they were a part. After 100 years since first immigrating, my generation (in my family) is the first to break with that ideology. They were church-going, hard working people, yet voted Democrat. Why would hard-working Latinos be any different? I'm just asking.

There really is no previous research to indicate that Latinos have a propensity to vote conservative in any numbers. Either way the Republican Party is in trouble. Allow amnesty and there will be 10s of millions of new Democrats added to the voter rolls--undocumented Democrats, really. Truly, do you really believe that Progressives would be so hot to make citizens of illegals if they believed that these were going to become Republican voters? Seriously? If they thought that, that border would slam shut and those people would be deported so darned fast your head would spin. Oppose amnesty, and alienate Latinos who seem to be more concerned with their "tribe" than what is best for the U.S. and its citizens as a whole. But you are right on this: as long as the white vote is split down the middle, the numbers just don't break for the Republicans. Just my analysis.

Young people can be goofy. So many of my friends just don't have a grasp of politics. They should be concerned as all of this is going to affect their futures dramatically. But they are more interested in daily drama in a lot of cases. I'm not sure if it is just my batch of younger Americans, or if it's always been like this. I have no point of reference for how older people were when they were teenagers or 20-somethings. I do know that a lot of people I knew liked Ron Paul. But Obama comes off as "cool" and a lot of younger people are kind of superficial that way (in my experience). They really don't have much in-depth understanding of issues. Again, not all but many.



I think you got that right. Young people see Obama as 'cool,' and Romney as 'that old white man.' They have no idea what a vote for president will mean to their futures. If it's not happening right here, right now, it doesn't affect them, and any article that doesn't have the name Kardashian attached to it isn't worth reading. Just on the issue of immigration, when they have to actually start supporting themselves, and a family, they'll see what we meant by supporting illegal aliens with our tax money, and illegal aliens suppressing wages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2012, 05:40 AM
 
Location: Maryland
18,563 posts, read 15,807,472 times
Reputation: 6259
Well guys looks like things are moving at lightening speed.
Amnesty by Xmas?

IMMIGRATION REFORM RETURNS TO FORE | POLITICO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2012, 07:22 AM
 
31,876 posts, read 14,670,439 times
Reputation: 8490
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Well guys looks like things are moving at lightening speed.
Amnesty by Xmas?

IMMIGRATION REFORM RETURNS TO FORE | POLITICO
From the article:

"Top Republicans are signaling for the first time in five years that the party will get serious about immigration reform".

Where is this "signal"? It is just wishful thinking on the part of Politico and other Hispanic advocacy groups. I haven't heard one Republican mention anything about passing an amnesty in congress.

Note how they openly admit their blackmail tactics? They have no shame. Either our politicians (in this case the GOP) stop the enforcement of our immigration laws and rewards our ethnic group for violating them or they will never get our vote. What has this country come down to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2012, 07:52 AM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,326,175 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Actually for an incumbent president, Obama did not do especially well. This was clearly no landslide.

And he's promised far too much -- no way can he begin to fulfill all those promises.

To the Americans he's promised to fix the economy -- to create them many millions of jobs.

To the illegals he's promised to rebuild the housing bubble, to create millions of jobs for them in the housing industry -- jobs he says hispanics like.

He really has not plan to create millions of jobs for both 24 million unemployed Americans and the millions of foreigners coming and soon to come. Immigration was up in 2012, it will be up in 2013 especially now that Obama has promised a very big amnesty to all who make it here illegally.

Already today on a popular Mexican radio show there was anger as they said that it was the Mexican vote that has put Obama in the White House twice now and he'd better come through for them now and get them their amnesty and citizenship. One guy was very heated and angry Obama didn't do it in the first year of his first term and another explained that he had to fix the economy first but now it's time and he's convinced it will be the first thing Obama will do now.

I expect protests soon, and violence if they aren't given their way. Like on this show the more insistent guy said to hell with the economy -- Obama had better come up with amnesty quickly.
If a bunch of illegal aliens TRY to start something: THAT could blow up against illegals and blow up real bad. I do wanna go there "how bad".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2012, 09:38 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,832,685 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
We should open up our borders. Mexicans are a proud and noble people and this was their country at one time. I welcome them in this country and value them over clueless Conservatives.

The President will continue his fine work resuscitating the country from the Dubya Dark Ages. He still may face obstruction from the ignorant Republican House members, but if he grants amnesty, GOOD.

It would be a move that is counter to what Republicans want, WHICH MEANS IT IS GOOD FOR THE COUNTRY.
Perhaps you don't realize if we "open up our borders" there will be more than "proud and noble" Mexicans entering. In fact, the proud and noble Mexicans tend to enter through legal channels, unlike the miscreants and parasites. Is that what you welcome?

Please explain who will pay for another amnesty. Or, do you actually believe there will be no costs associated with legalizing 20+ million illegal aliens? Moreover, another amnesty will only be a magnet for even millions more to flock to our shores illegally. After all, our laws were not enforced, nor were our borders secured following the 1986 amnesty. This would be the same. Only, this time will prove to be far more devastating than the last. Do you relish the thought of national suicide? If so, continue to support amnesty and open borders.

I am not a Republican, nor are most of my family and friends. But, we all oppose amnesty. If you think most Democrats support amnesty, you had better think again. Unlike some, I am not willing to relinquish my country to foreign invaders, regardless of country of origin. For those willing to fight, this battle is not over. Not by a long shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2012, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,832,685 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
From the article:

"Top Republicans are signaling for the first time in five years that the party will get serious about immigration reform".

Where is this "signal"? It is just wishful thinking on the part of Politico and other Hispanic advocacy groups. I haven't heard one Republican mention anything about passing an amnesty in congress.

Note how they openly admit their blackmail tactics? They have no shame. Either our politicians (in this case the GOP) stop the enforcement of our immigration laws and rewards our ethnic group for violating them or they will never get our vote. What has this country come down to?
That's an excellent question. Have we become so incredibly weak as a nation, that we are willing to allow a foreign incursion to dictate our policies? If so, heaven forbid radical Muslims become "the fastest growing minority" and blackmail politicians into supporting Sharia Law. After all, if one group can succeed at bullying to get their way, why not others?

I predict Republicans will indeed cave in. Let's not forget, Hispanics are now seen as THE group to appease. Like Democrats, Republicans will support amnesty or anything else perceived as important to Hispanics to improve their chances of getting their votes. Never mind the fact that illegal immigration is the primary reason for their unprecedented growth. Actually, I think there will be a concerted effort to see which party can out-pander the other. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so. Only time will tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top