U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 02:39 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,822,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Why were illegals counted in the census?
They were counted because our government wanted to ensure there would be enough resources and services to accommodate all residents (legal or illegal). Anything less would be un-American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 03:31 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,745,541 times
Quote:
Why were illegals counted in the census?
To give the regions they live in more representation and make their votes more important.

California has a huge population of illegals and so a much higher number of electoral votes.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:01 PM

31,654 posts, read 14,607,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I understand your frustration. But, you cannot sit idly by while untold millions are granted yet another amnesty. Where does this BS end? How many times must we acquiesce to the demands of foreign invaders? I simply do not understand the mindset that supports unlimited illegal immigration, especially given our economic problems, high unemployment, outsourcing of jobs, and the decimation of our middle class. What happened to the fighting spirit in this country? Do Americans no longer have a friggin backbone?

Given the growing level of complacency, apathy, and defeatism, we are definitely ripe for the picking. If we are so weak to allow millions of the world's underclass to come here illegally at will, and then reward them for their efforts by granting legal status and a path to citizenship, then I suppose we need to just kiss this country goodbye.

I may ultimately be on the losing side of this battle. But, I'll be damned if I will just throw in the towel, roll over, and embrace this invasion. No, I will continue to fight to the bitter end. If another amnesty is granted, it will mark the beginning of the end of this once great nation, and the country I had hoped would offer prosperity for my son and his future offspring. But, I suppose all good things must come to an end. Hopefully, I won't be here to witness it.
Now that's the fighting spirit and I'm right with you. It is sad to see so many Americans willing to throw in the towel and give up on their country. Our founding fathers must be rolling in the graves.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:54 PM

12,785 posts, read 12,761,529 times
Quote:
Yes they can vote. States with higher illegal populations get greater voting power.
Um, if they are illegal, they tend not to be counted as part of the population. They're not recorded in census numbers. That's why the population of illegals is an estimate, because no one really knows the exact number. So even if California had 25 million extra illegals, it would not change the electoral votes they get. This is a dumb thread.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Prove it.

You can save yourself the time because you can't.
They've done studies in Colorado, PA and Florida on this very issue because of recent attempts in those states to limit voting through IDs. The rate of fraud was closer to 0.001% in those states. Nationally, there were less than 200 fraudulent votes out of something like 600,000,000 votes in the last decade or so.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:00 PM

And threads like this are why Democrats will continue to win over the Hispanic vote in large numbers. You guys are just not getting the message.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Correct. That is why I am for getting rid of the Electoral College and making the popular vote count. Not that it made a difference in this particular election but I would rather the majority rules in this country rather than select highly populated states that have high numbers of minorities who nearly always vote Democrat.
There have been like 3x in the history of presidential elections where the EC did not match the popular vote. I'm sure you guys would've loved President Gore.

And you're still stuck with the problem that minority population, just legal ones alone, are growing rapidly while white populations are becoming a smaller piece of the electorate. Even if you went to a popular vote system, this likely won't change anything in regards to who wins.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If they can count them, yes they are.

If my understanding is correct if you're breathing they want you included in the count.

There is actually three distinct issues with this:

• The issue with electoral that has already been pointed out. While this has not been an issue in this election it could be in the future.
  • We have the House of Representative issue where state with more non citizens could potentially get more Representatives.
  • Last but not least taxes are also apportioned by population.
Census numbers rely heavily on participation, which is very low to negligible in illegal populations.

I think you guys just have to face facts that it was legal residents who voted Obama. This blame illegals crap is going to keep you losing.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I am surprised at your defeatist attitude all of a sudden. So we should allow Hispanics to blackmail our nation and politicians in giving their illegal amigos amnesty yet again?
I really really hope you guys keep this message going within the GOP. It will ensure Democrats keep the presidency in 2016 and beyond.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:17 PM

31,654 posts, read 14,607,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I really really hope you guys keep this message going within the GOP. It will ensure Democrats keep the presidency in 2016 and beyond.
The only ones that will be turned off are the ethnocentric type of Hispanics who think their ethnic group should be above our immigration laws. Even if the GOP went along with an amnesty these same Hispanics wouldn't vote for a Republican anyway. So why should they pander to them? I posted a good article about this under another topic for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or