U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 09:20 AM

4,514 posts, read 8,595,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Very few people are xenophobic. The vast majority of those who oppose illegal immigration have no problem with legal immigrants.
Just like the vast majority of segregationists have no problem with law-abiding black people; only the anti-Jim Crow activists.

This is a civil rights movement because it involves the freedom of movement for the middle and lower classes. The elite can go anywhere they want. Ever heard of Investor's Visas? Or the unlimited quota for performers (a.k.a. celebrities)? Why does capital flow more freely than labor? Even the trash crossing the strait from Détroit to Windsor is treated better than the people and it doesn't go through security checks.

What is the government going to do the American People when the wall is built? I wonder what groups they will scapegoat for the "Final Solution?" The wall will prevent members of the scapegoated groups from escaping. After that's finished, the government will do something to the rest of the people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 01:31 PM

2,242 posts, read 2,533,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
I have noticed a tendency on the part of some immigrant rights activist groups to refer to the current immigration struggle as some sort of "New Civil Rights Movement". While I can understand the wide-ranging precedential significance of the 20th-century Civil Rights Movement in the arena of human rights activism, as a black American and direct beneficiary of the many gains made by the Civil Rights Movement, I cannot help finding this appropriation somewhat insulting. To think that a group (who I'm willing to bet would otherwise have no real interest in the historical plight of blacks in this country) could so unabashedly and gratuitously co-opt the very essence of the Civil Rights Movement to fit their own agenda is disturbing. I think both movements should be considered in proper perspective, as the fundamental goals of each are markedly different. I also find it painfully ironic that the very country from which most illegal immigrants hail has certainly done (and continues to do) its part to severely marginalize their own residents of African descent.

Would you agree that such a comparison is unwarranted, or am I too provincial in my view of civil rights?
YES!!! I couldn't agree anymore. And in many countries across the globe Native Americans and African descendants and multiracial and mixed race peoples and diasporas across the globe have been marginalized, disenfranchised, and oppressed and exploited and still continue to suffer.

The Civil Rights movement paved the way for all future movements post civil rights movements.

All of these various feminist movements, LGBTQ movements, and women's rights movements, multiracial movements owe any ounce of success or notoriety to the Civil Rights Movement (CRM).

Old 11-24-2013, 08:19 PM

6,525 posts, read 11,614,071 times
Illegal aliens and gay marriage supporters certainly should not co-opt the civil rights movement. There are actually people who compare our current immigration laws to JIm Crow laws and these people believe that anyone who wants to come to the US should be able to. Yes these liberals believe that all 6 billion people in the world should be able to come to the US.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:54 PM

31,471 posts, read 14,559,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Illegal aliens and gay marriage supporters certainly should not co-opt the civil rights movement. There are actually people who compare our current immigration laws to JIm Crow laws and these people believe that anyone who wants to come to the US should be able to. Yes these liberals believe that all 6 billion people in the world should be able to come to the US.
Yes, that is a liberal point of view. There is another one though based on ethnic ties and they would draw the line so that only their ethnic group could come here without limitations.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:02 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,392,137 times
lets be fair
human rights violations occur all the time to illegals. not citizen rights violations.
head hunters aka recruiters go to mexico and encourage people to come here and work.
coyotes help them do it and american companies hire them. i dont know anybody that has gardening and janitor work done that does not use illegals at least indirectly.
hardly fair to say illegals forced themselves on us.
the debate should be about the government and companies that have teamed up against its citizens whose kids cant get jobs in this country any longer. illegal immigration is not helping. it is my own hope that there is no 3rd amnesty be it ever so cleverly worded as some other bill or "reform".

Old 11-25-2013, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
YES!!! I couldn't agree anymore. And in many countries across the globe Native Americans and African descendants and multiracial and mixed race peoples and diasporas across the globe have been marginalized, disenfranchised, and oppressed and exploited and still continue to suffer.

The Civil Rights movement paved the way for all future movements post civil rights movements.

All of these various feminist movements, LGBTQ movements, and women's rights movements, multiracial movements owe any ounce of success or notoriety to the Civil Rights Movement (CRM).
Except none of this has anything to do with illegal immigration. Foreingers here illegally on our soil is not akin to a civil right's movement.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
lets be fair
human rights violations occur all the time to illegals. not citizen rights violations.
head hunters aka recruiters go to mexico and encourage people to come here and work.
coyotes help them do it and american companies hire them. i dont know anybody that has gardening and janitor work done that does not use illegals at least indirectly.
hardly fair to say illegals forced themselves on us.
the debate should be about the government and companies that have teamed up against its citizens whose kids cant get jobs in this country any longer. illegal immigration is not helping. it is my own hope that there is no 3rd amnesty be it ever so cleverly worded as some other bill or "reform".

Illegal aliens are just as guilty as the employers though. They know they have no right to be here much less working here. Fine the employers and make the illegal workers leave either voluntarily or involuntarily as our laws dictate.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:02 AM

9,243 posts, read 7,096,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
".
Quote:
lets be fair
To illegals? who cheated our system & broke our laws & disrespected this country?

Quote:
human rights violations occur all the time to illegals.
Maybe they should return home. Illegals know they have not entered this country the right way.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:42 PM

2,242 posts, read 2,533,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
This is not about liberals and/or conservatives or liberals vs conservatives and vice versa. Many conservatives have been behind the importation and maintenance of illegal immigration to have source labor for jobs and for cheap labor and many secretly allowed illegals behind the scenes into the USA, and then turn against them when they don't need them anymore. So both liberals and conservatives are innocent and guilty at the same time.

I think illegals should be deported regardless. This isn't about liberals and conservatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Except none of this has anything to do with illegal immigration. Foreingers here illegally on our soil is not akin to a civil right's movement.
Clearly you have a reading comprehension problem. Notice that I made a point of how Civil Rights movement made it even possible that illegals and others co-opting the CRM as an example and platform to even complain.

My comment was in agreeance with the person I responded to. Look at the comment I was responding to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I NEVER said it was akin to the CRM. Re read my comment please.

Illegals should be deported

Last edited by Yac; 11-26-2013 at 02:26 AM.. Reason: 4 posts in a row merged

Old 11-25-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
Clearly you have a reading comprehension problem. Notice that I made a point of how Civil Rights movement made it even possible that illegals and others co-opting the CRM as an example and platform to even complain.

My comment was in agreeance with the person I responded to. Look at the comment I was responding to.
I disagree, some of the comments you made in your post that I replied to were not about illegal immigration and therefore I pointed it out. If I misinterpreted you I apologize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or