U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 10-11-2007, 09:56 PM
 
Location: Bayou City
2,991 posts, read 4,468,958 times
Reputation: 2496

Advertisements

I have noticed a tendency on the part of some immigrant rights activist groups to refer to the current immigration struggle as some sort of "New Civil Rights Movement". While I can understand the wide-ranging precedential significance of the 20th-century Civil Rights Movement in the arena of human rights activism, as a black American and direct beneficiary of the many gains made by the Civil Rights Movement, I cannot help finding this appropriation somewhat insulting. To think that a group (who I'm willing to bet would otherwise have no real interest in the historical plight of blacks in this country) could so unabashedly and gratuitously co-opt the very essence of the Civil Rights Movement to fit their own agenda is disturbing. I think both movements should be considered in proper perspective, as the fundamental goals of each are markedly different. I also find it painfully ironic that the very country from which most illegal immigrants hail has certainly done (and continues to do) its part to severely marginalize their own residents of African descent.

Would you agree that such a comparison is unwarranted, or am I too provincial in my view of civil rights?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-11-2007, 10:09 PM
 
Location: Sacramento
13,755 posts, read 23,217,198 times
Reputation: 6087
I can certainly see and agree with your point, but haven't multiple groups done the same thing? I think it has to do with having less than full rights and being underdogs, but certainly the situations are significantly different.

In some ways I would think it could be viewed as a compliment. It is an acknowledgment of the legitimate injustices black folks have experienced and successfully overcome. Others wish to emulate that success.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2007, 11:24 PM
 
Location: In an illegal immigrant free part of the country.
2,087 posts, read 1,052,974 times
Reputation: 382
Insulting is an understatement. Blacks were brought here under force and they fought long and hard for their right to be granted the same rights as every American. If the illegal immigrants want to compare themselves to the civil rights movement in America they need to go back home and fight for their civil rights in their own country.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2007, 12:09 AM
 
Location: NM
402 posts, read 938,169 times
Reputation: 206
IMO Illegals do not have any rights, Especially not the right to even be here. I don't know why anyone refers to them as Immigrants. Immigrants have gone through the steps and come here legally. And they do have rights, the right to become a citizen of the USA is at the top of that list.

I agree with citigirl..
Quote:
Insulting is an understatement. Blacks were brought here under force and they fought long and hard for their right to be granted the same rights as every American.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2007, 05:40 AM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
3,589 posts, read 2,972,613 times
Reputation: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
I have noticed a tendency on the part of some immigrant rights activist groups to refer to the current immigration struggle as some sort of "New Civil Rights Movement". While I can understand the wide-ranging precedential significance of the 20th-century Civil Rights Movement in the arena of human rights activism, as a black American and direct beneficiary of the many gains made by the Civil Rights Movement, I cannot help finding this appropriation somewhat insulting. To think that a group (who I'm willing to bet would otherwise have no real interest in the historical plight of blacks in this country) could so unabashedly and gratuitously co-opt the very essence of the Civil Rights Movement to fit their own agenda is disturbing. I think both movements should be considered in proper perspective, as the fundamental goals of each are markedly different. I also find it painfully ironic that the very country from which most illegal immigrants hail has certainly done (and continues to do) its part to severely marginalize their own residents of African descent.

Would you agree that such a comparison is unwarranted, or am I too provincial in my view of civil rights?
I completely agree...apples and oranges, and their attempt to co-opt the spirit of the civil rights movement is disgusting.

The ancestors of American blacks were by and large brought here against their will in chains. They were horrifically wronged for hundreds of years and we'll still be dealing with the consequences 100 years from now. I think it's obscene that illegals are trying to compare THEIR struggle for "rights" with what black Americans endured. Sick, sick, sick.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2007, 05:50 AM
 
Location: Northern VA (for now)
23,000 posts, read 31,949,672 times
Reputation: 30382
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
Insulting is an understatement. Blacks were brought here under force and they fought long and hard for their right to be granted the same rights as every American. If the illegal immigrants want to compare themselves to the civil rights movement in America they need to go back home and fight for their civil rights in their own country.
i totally agree.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2007, 06:46 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
Insulting is an understatement. Blacks were brought here under force and they fought long and hard for their right to be granted the same rights as every American. If the illegal immigrants want to compare themselves to the civil rights movement in America they need to go back home and fight for their civil rights in their own country.
You, Mr Sykes and the rest of us on this thread nailed it------------as has been pointed out: the illegals came here illegally by free choice. Not in the chains of the slave ships.

I swear: if anything is going to cause the remaining Black-White barriers to shatter--------it will be the battle against the illegals.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2007, 07:50 AM
 
457 posts, read 302,098 times
Reputation: 67
I absolutely agree 100%. I also cannot stand when Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson compare events like the "Jena 6" to the fine work MLK and his generation accomplished with THEIR movement. ILLEGAL immigration is a WHOLE different ballpark.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2007, 07:51 AM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
3,589 posts, read 2,972,613 times
Reputation: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I swear: if anything is going to cause the remaining Black-White barriers to shatter--------it will be the battle against the illegals.
While illegals come from all over the world they're primarily Hispanic, so you've got a point...but it's kind of sad that it takes this to bring us together.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2007, 08:16 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
While illegals come from all over the world they're primarily Hispanic, so you've got a point...but it's kind of sad that it takes this to bring us together.
Adversity tends to bring the worst-------and the best in people.

The same fire that melts butter makes steel strong.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top