Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 02:33 PM

157 posts, read 137,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
No. I live in the USA, and if I have a passport, I don't need a visa to enter Greece, provided I stay for no more than 90 days out of any 180 day period.

Being in Greece legally is not the hard part. It is being mistaken for an illegal is one of my big worries. And when I say being mistaken for an illegal immigrant, I stick out because of dark skin.
I can understand your concern. From what I've read, most illegals in Greece are from Central and Eastern Europe (came after the fall of the Soviet Union), and also from Africa, Asia, and the Middle East. There's no way anyone here could really say at how much risk you would be there, unless they have inside information (relatives there, have been there themselves).

I wonder if you could call the State Dept. and ask what the situation is there regarding foreign travellers? Maybe they could give you information or tell you who to contact. Aren't they the ones who issue travel warnings to Americans going out of the country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
No difference.

Illegals cheat, steal & lie.

The government has been caking down on illegals. Many illegals have protested the governments measures over there as over here.

The Governments are not listening to the people. The same thing happened prior to 1776. The people felt they were not being listened to or represented.

You are making it seem like a government problem rather than an illegal problem.
Ok, let's try to step back from the ledge my friend (to quote a song! lol). We are all frustrated beyond belief with over this situation. But, let's just think for a minute. Who are you going to attack? Where and when? There's no way to know just by looking at someone if he/she is illegal. What about those from all over the world--Asia, Russia, Ireland, anywhere--who are here illegally? Even though Latinos do comprise the vast majority of illegals, they aren't the only ones here illegally.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:45 PM

73,011 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticat View Post
I can understand your concern. From what I've read, most illegals in Greece are from Central and Eastern Europe (came after the fall of the Soviet Union), and also from Africa, Asia, and the Middle East. There's no way anyone here could really say at how much risk you would be there, unless they have inside information (relatives there, have been there themselves).

I wonder if you could call the State Dept. and ask what the situation is there regarding foreign travellers? Maybe they could give you information or tell you who to contact. Aren't they the ones who issue travel warnings to Americans going out of the country?
I've always wanted to travel all over the world. When I hear reports like this, it makes me wonder "what if I get attacked"? I wouldn't be so worried if this was Iraq or Afghanistan. Those places are warzones right now, so it's a no brainer. It's the places like Russia, and in this case, Greece, that are questionable. I have tried to ask, and from what I gather, most people don't give a straight answer. I'm gathering that most people who travel don't worry about things like that, and therefore, can't really give a straight answer.

Maybe I should call the State Dept. I was hoping I could at least get a straight answer here. I've looked on websites for travel warnings. I've gotten warnings for Greece in terms of strikes and protests, but so far, I haven't heard anything about racial attacks being an issue.

I think what shocks me about this is that this is Greece. I've never heard of attacks like that happening, until now.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:51 PM

Well when there is economic strife, things can go down hill really fast. My brother also does international travel for his job, and so I really understand where you are coming from.

Like I said, the majority of illegals come from a variety of nations, including Central and Eastern Europe. I'm guessing that a well-dressed business person wouldn't be the main target. I mean, really, there are thugs everywhere, including here in the U.S. I've heard of foreign tourists here being attacked, mugged, etc. I guess there aren't any guarantees. What you don't want to be walking into is a complete meltdown of a country, though. That's when things really go haywire.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Well when there is economic strife, things can go down hill really fast. My brother also does international travel for his job, and so I really understand where you are coming from.

Like I said, the majority of illegals come from a variety of nations, including Central and Eastern Europe. I'm guessing that a well-dressed business person wouldn't be the main target. I mean, really, there are thugs everywhere, including here in the U.S. I've heard of foreign tourists here being attacked, mugged, etc. I guess there aren't any guarantees. What you don't want to be walking into is a complete meltdown of a country, though. That's when things really go haywire.
What steps does your brother's company take to ensure his safety?

I know there are thugs in the USA. I live here. I was assaulted by thugs a few times(both Black and White). I know the USA kind of well. I know there are certain parts of Atlanta I would not go to. I know there are certain parts of Los Angeles I know I shouldn't go to alone, or at night. With Greece it's a different matter. I've never been there, so I'm not in the know as far as what to avoid or how to stay safe, especially after hearing recent news.

At this point, Greece hasn't hit total meltdown point, yet. That is why I want to go to Greece before it gets that bad.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:23 PM

Yeah, I know what you mean about bein in an unfamiliar country as opposed to your own where you have some frame of reference. I'm just saying that these cases are probably isolated rather than some mass attack of Greeks gone wild. But again I just don't know what the situation is there.

I'm not sure exactly what the details are regarding what actual steps my brother's firm takes to ensure their safety. I know before he went to shanghai he had to take classes on the country, people, and culture. And they were told some things to watch out for. But don't know more than that off hand. I will ask, though, to see what he says.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:27 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
What steps does your brother's company take to ensure his safety?

I know there are thugs in the USA. I live here. I was assaulted by thugs a few times(both Black and White). I know the USA kind of well. I know there are certain parts of Atlanta I would not go to. I know there are certain parts of Los Angeles I know I shouldn't go to alone, or at night. With Greece it's a different matter. I've never been there, so I'm not in the know as far as what to avoid or how to stay safe, especially after hearing recent news.

At this point, Greece hasn't hit total meltdown point, yet. That is why I want to go to Greece before it gets that bad.
Uh; I'm a white dude and if Greece really goes over the edge, I'd stay AWAY from there too. Word has it in many "crazy" places being "American" of any color MIGHT protect a person if there's a "situation."

Old 11-12-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; I'm a white dude and if Greece really goes over the edge, I'd stay AWAY from there too. Word has it in many "crazy" places being "American" of any color MIGHT protect a person if there's a "situation."
If Greece does go over the edge, then I would stay away until things recovered. However, it hasn't gotten to that point.

Yes, being an American might protect me. However, how will people tell if I'm American or not just by looking at me?

Old 11-12-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I know what you mean about bein in an unfamiliar country as opposed to your own where you have some frame of reference. I'm just saying that these cases are probably isolated rather than some mass attack of Greeks gone wild. But again I just don't know what the situation is there.

I'm not sure exactly what the details are regarding what actual steps my brother's firm takes to ensure their safety. I know before he went to shanghai he had to take classes on the country, people, and culture. And they were told some things to watch out for. But don't know more than that off hand. I will ask, though, to see what he says.
If they are isolated events, all I need to know is what to stay away from if I'm ever in Greece.

If you know anymore about your brother's trip, any tips are appreciated.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:43 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
If Greece does go over the edge, then I would stay away until things recovered. However, it hasn't gotten to that point.

Yes, being an American might protect me. However, how will people tell if I'm American or not just by looking at me?
I'd ask that same question on the "World Forum". I really don't know the answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration