U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 11:14 AM

20,611 posts, read 12,282,218 times

Advertisements

"Campaigning on a promise to "clean up the stench" in Greece, the party whose slogan is "blood, honor, Golden Dawn" has made no secret of its views on migrants: All are in the country illegally and must be deported. Greece's borders must be sealed with landmines and military patrols, and any Greeks employing or renting property to migrants should face punishment.
The party vehemently denies it is involved in racist attacks."

On streets of Athens, racist attacks increase - Yahoo! News

Coming to the US. Golden dawn is too much like storm front but IMHO; IF things get worse here for Americans, I'd be wanting to leave if I was illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 11:18 AM

23,599 posts, read 31,143,716 times
I vehemently disagree with any kind of assault on illegal immigrants. That is not right and proper. We should simply enforce the law and while we are firmly enforcing our laws, treat them in a dignified and humane manner. Any less is unacceptable.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I vehemently disagree with any kind of assault on illegal immigrants. That is not right and proper. We should simply enforce the law and while we are firmly enforcing our laws, treat them in a dignified and humane manner. Any less is unacceptable.
Agreed tho people are getting fed up.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:24 AM

23,599 posts, read 31,143,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed tho people are getting fed up.
They are, but violence against individuals is not the answer when it's their government that has failed them...just like here. They should keep peacefully marching and protesting against the government.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:54 AM

156 posts, read 111,818 times
If you look closely what is happening inside Greece, you'll see the government is out of money and now forced to make deep cuts to their welfare state in order to get their bailout. Violence, unfortunately, is what happens when the gravy train comes to the end of the line. As long as the majority of the people are fat and happy, and aren't personally affected, they tend to be complacent. I hope things do not come to that here.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticat View Post
If you look closely what is happening inside Greece, you'll see the government is out of money and now forced to make deep cuts to their welfare state in order to get their bailout. Violence, unfortunately, is what happens when the gravy train comes to the end of the line. As long as the majority of the people are fat and happy, and aren't personally affected, they tend to be complacent. I hope things do not come to that here.
Agreed. About the 1 thing that's keeping some of us from going off the rails is unemployment. My job went away a few weeks back and I'm collecting it and it's scary out there for work. I'm well over 40 and many people want younger dudes. Sucks but it is what it is.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:09 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,013,914 times
Why would they be racist attcks and not called attecks on outsiders.Greeks are not all of the same racial makeup as I recall. The same typoe of violence against other has occured before like the RED Army Faction i germany in the 70's .Its politcal based and from video reprots looks like most younger thug type like always. I mean they are do more destrcution tha attecks agianst any scape goat as reported.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:24 PM

156 posts, read 111,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed. About the 1 thing that's keeping some of us from going off the rails is unemployment. My job went away a few weeks back and I'm collecting it and it's scary out there for work. I'm well over 40 and many people want younger dudes. Sucks but it is what it is.
Really sorry about your job. I think the reason we don't see those soup lines like back in the depression is unemployment and food stamps. You're really not that old; experience is valuable and you'll find something. Quite a few of my friends are having trouble finding jobs that they trained for and are living at home working minimum wage jobs. Lots of employers want experience. Good luck to you!

Old 11-12-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticat View Post
Really sorry about your job. I think the reason we don't see those soup lines like back in the depression is unemployment and food stamps. You're really not that old; experience is valuable and you'll find something. Quite a few of my friends are having trouble finding jobs that they trained for and are living at home working minimum wage jobs. Lots of employers want experience. Good luck to you!
Agreed. Thanks.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:05 PM

44,564 posts, read 43,103,689 times
How often are these attacks happening? What implications will this have for Black Americans(like me) who are considering traveling to Greece? I have heard of this happening in Russia, so it doesn't surprise me. However, it is quite shocking for me to hear about this happening in Greece of all places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or