U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2012, 12:30 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,857,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
PHOENIX (Reuters) - Ricardo, an illegal immigrant from Mexico, sets off each day before dawn looking for casual work in construction not knowing if he will return home to his wife and three children or get snared in an immigration sweep. Lately, he feels the pervasive fear slowly lifting.

A legislative package would include strengthening border security, penalties for employers that hire undocumented workers and an avenue for many of the roughly 11.2 million illegal immigrants in the United States to gain citizenship, he said.
Immigration U-turn has Hispanics seeing "light at end of tunnel" - Chicago Tribune

But, according to both Obama and Napolitano, our borders are now "more secure than ever." How will a new legislative package "strengthen" border security? Will the new law be as strictly enforced as our current, which allowed untold millions to enter illegally or overstay visas, and does not prevent those deported from returning multiple times? Will they explain how this will be accomplished? Or, should we simply trust them to honor their word as we did in 1986?

Our current immigration laws already include "penalties" for employers who knowingly hire illegal aliens. So, again, why do we need a "new" legislative package? Can we expect the same level of enforcement and punishment? In other words, will illegal employers continue to receive a mere slap on the wrist, or fines so small companies classify them as other operating expenses?

We already welcome more legal immigrants than all other countries combined, with Mexico at the top of every list. We also offer unlimited work visas for farm workers. So, why do we need another legislative package for foreigners to "gain citizenship," considering we already have laws granting legal status and a path to citizenship to over 1 million legal immigrants annually?

Will the new law grant visas to a more diverse group of immigrants, or can we expect Mexico and other Spanish-speaking countries to continue to receive the lion's share through family sponsorship? Will Haitians continue to be intercepted at our shores and summarily returned to Haiti? Or, will they be as welcome as Cubans and those from SOB seeking a better life?

Let's call this so-called "Comprehensive Immigration Reform" what it is – legalization with impunity for millions who willfully violate our laws. Rather than playing games, why not just cut to the chase and acknowledge this country will grant amnesty every 20+ years, or whenever illegal immigration reaches critical mass, whichever comes first? While we're at it, let's officially make the USA the dumping ground for the world's underclass, and a free-for-all for any foreigner who gives birth on our soil. After all, isn't that the truth?

Funny, only "Hispanics" are seeing a "light at the end of the tunnel." Isn't it strange that other demographics are always excluded? Yet, it's considered "racist" to dare mention the fact that most illegal aliens are Hispanic, are the primary group DEMANDING our government ignore our laws, stop deportations, and grant legalization and a path to citizenship for their illegal family and friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 12:40 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,382,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Immigration U-turn has Hispanics seeing "light at end of tunnel" - Chicago Tribune

But, according to both Obama and Napolitano, our borders are now "more secure than ever." How will a new legislative package "strengthen" border security? Will the new law be as strictly enforced as our current, which allowed untold millions to enter illegally or overstay visas, and does not prevent those deported from returning multiple times? Will they explain how this will be accomplished? Or, should we simply trust them to honor their word as we did in 1986?

Our current immigration laws already include "penalties" for employers who knowingly hire illegal aliens. So, again, why do we need a "new" legislative package? Can we expect the same level of enforcement and punishment? In other words, will illegal employers continue to receive a mere slap on the wrist, or fines so small companies classify them as other operating expenses?

We already welcome more legal immigrants than all other countries combined, with Mexico at the top of every list. We also offer unlimited work visas for farm workers. So, why do we need another legislative package for foreigners to "gain citizenship," considering we already have laws granting legal status and a path to citizenship to over 1 million legal immigrants annually?

Will the new law grant visas to a more diverse group of immigrants, or can we expect Mexico and other Spanish-speaking countries to continue to receive the lion's share through family sponsorship? Will Haitians continue to be intercepted at our shores and summarily returned to Haiti? Or, will they be as welcome as Cubans and those from SOB seeking a better life?

Let's call this so-called "Comprehensive Immigration Reform" what it is – legalization with impunity for millions who willfully violate our laws. Rather than playing games, why not just cut to the chase and acknowledge this country will grant amnesty every 20+ years, or whenever illegal immigration reaches critical mass, whichever comes first? While we're at it, let's officially make the USA the dumping ground for the world's underclass, and a free-for-all for any foreigner who gives birth on our soil. After all, isn't that the truth?

Funny, only "Hispanics" are seeing a "light at the end of the tunnel." Isn't it strange that other demographics are always excluded? Yet, it's considered "racist" to dare mention the fact that most illegal aliens are Hispanic, are the primary group DEMANDING our government ignore our laws, stop deportations, and grant legalization and a path to citizenship for their illegal family and friends.
There WON'T be any "U turn" IMHO here; way too many Americans, even Chicano's, who CAN'T find work.

I'm in Phoenix and I see far less Spanish speaking people here than a few years back. It's getting hard for day laborers and I see less in 2012.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
There WON'T be any "U turn" IMHO here; way too many Americans, even Chicano's, who CAN'T find work.

I'm in Phoenix and I see far less Spanish speaking people here than a few years back. It's getting hard for day laborers and I see less in 2012.
I'm glad you're seeing changes in Phoenix. I can't say the same for Maryland, which has become a HUGE magnet. I can't recall ever seeing so many Texas and Arizona tags on cars. No doubt, illegals are coming here in droves. I am also seeing lots of Virginia tags on cars dropping off kids at schools. Illegals fled VA after they passed anti-illegal laws and have relocated to the welcoming State of Maryland. I have lived in the DC area the majority of my life, and never considered leaving until now. Sadly, there is no state in this country that hasn't been invaded. I don't have a problem with Spanish-speaking people, or people speaking any foreign language. But, I do have a problem with massive illegal immigration. Thanks to our spineless, pandering government, it's out of control.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:02 PM

9,243 posts, read 7,136,287 times
Quote:

This is absurd!!!
This is why many people don't want to be part of this country run by Obama.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:05 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,382,004 times
Quote:
I'm glad you're seeing changes in Phoenix. I can't say the same for Maryland, which has become a HUGE magnet. I can't recall ever seeing so many Texas and Arizona tags on cars. No doubt, illegals are coming here in droves. I am also seeing lots of Virginia tags on cars dropping off kids at schools. Illegals fled VA after they passed anti-illegal laws and have relocated to the welcoming State of Maryland. I have lived in the DC area the majority of my life, and never considered leaving until now. Sadly, there is no state in this country that hasn't been invaded. I don't have a problem with Spanish-speaking people, or people speaking any foreign language. But, I do have a problem with massive illegal immigration. Thanks to our spineless, pandering government, it's out of control.
God. Malamute and you said there're lots Arizona plates where you 2 live.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:13 PM

1,025 posts, read 561,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
This is absurd!!!
This is why many people don't want to be part of this country run by Obama.
Problem is, Romney and his fellow repubs wouldn't do anything, either. Let's face it: no one in office will ever put their collective foot down and enforce the immigration laws already on the books. It is too much of a "hot potato," IMHO.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:58 PM

23,641 posts, read 31,345,812 times
Quote:

BENICAR FOR PRESIDENT 2016

I'd vote for you.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
BENICAR FOR PRESIDENT 2016

I'd vote for you.
Thank you, dear. Your support is appreciated. But, you don't get to the highest position in this country without being ruthless. So, I could never run for president. I have a conscience, I couldn't compromise my beliefs by pandering for votes, nor could I sell my soul to the highest bidder.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:44 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,949,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
God. Malamute and you said there're lots Arizona plates where you 2 live.
Yeah -- they're certainly not going back home as long as they can simply go to other states -- they're not giving up the easy money and government handouts if they have options. Just the free meals at schools alone makes it worth it to live here, they don't have to work to feed their kids like they'd have to do back home.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:27 AM

32,992 posts, read 30,260,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yeah -- they're certainly not going back home as long as they can simply go to other states -- they're not giving up the easy money and government handouts if they have options. Just the free meals at schools alone makes it worth it to live here, they don't have to work to feed their kids like they'd have to do back home.
And that right there is the number one draw. Free school and free food for at least two meals a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or