U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-13-2007, 09:54 AM
 
457 posts, read 302,203 times
Reputation: 67

Advertisements

Hello All! I just drove by the Valley View Mall in North DallaS AT LBJ/Preston and there is an ANTI-ILLEGAL protest going on right now. I think I will go attend it. If anybody else in the area is interested, come on up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-13-2007, 10:02 AM
 
273 posts, read 178,380 times
Reputation: 101
I'd lik to know how it went and if any legal hispanics were there, as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2007, 10:04 AM
 
457 posts, read 302,203 times
Reputation: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo-me View Post
I'd lik to know how it went and if any legal hispanics were there, as well?
I sure hope there will be. They are Americans as well and ought to be even angrier than we are! I want to say I saw a couple hispanics, but, I drove almost all the way past them before I noticed, lol. I will let ya know though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2007, 10:36 AM
 
Location: California
3,432 posts, read 2,158,301 times
Reputation: 138
I think the reason Hispanics don't attend anti-illegal rallies is because it might draw tensions with their recent-immigrated cousins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2007, 12:11 PM
 
457 posts, read 302,203 times
Reputation: 67
That's all the more reason for them TO attend them; THEY immigrated legally; Whereas their "cousins" are ILLEGAL Alien invaders. The fact that none do, only serves to further irritate and add fuel to the anti-ILLEGAL fires.

And no, not a single Hispanic was there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2007, 12:18 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
I think the reason Hispanics don't attend anti-illegal rallies is because it might draw tensions with their recent-immigrated cousins.
Very true---I've heard this expressed first-hand. But there's ANOTHER reason legal Hispanics shy away from such public scenes, too--and one few people want to discuss; so I'll mention it here. There are very likely to be SOME participants attending these rallies against illegal immigrants (certainly NO ONE on this forum, or anyone associated with them)---who, to put it bluntly, might object to ANY Hispanic showing up. (I've also heard accounts of THIS phenomena, first hand).

Remember that such rallies are not usually known as the gathering spots of intellectuals; emotions can, and often do, take precedence over common sense and reasoned thought. And any anti-immigrant movement---even an anti ILLEGAL-immigrant group--is, by its very nature, destined to attract some of the more virulent members of the community. These folks aren't always interested in the finer points of immigration law, if you get my drift. They are more apt to notice the differnces in human skin-color. Good place to stay away from, in my opinion......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2007, 12:23 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by PApisces View Post
And no, not a single Hispanic was there.
I'd question how you determined that "not a single Hispanic was there". Short of a personal interview with each individual, how did you arrive at this very broad conclusion? Were there any MARRIED Hispanics there, or did you only check out the "single" ones?.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2007, 12:40 PM
 
457 posts, read 302,203 times
Reputation: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Very true---I've heard this expressed first-hand. But there's ANOTHER reason legal Hispanics shy away from such public scenes, too--and one few people want to discuss; so I'll mention it here. There are very likely to be SOME participants attending these rallies against illegal immigrants (certainly NO ONE on this forum, or anyone associated with them)---who, to put it bluntly, might object to ANY Hispanic showing up. (I've also heard accounts of THIS phenomena, first hand).

Remember that such rallies are not usually known as the gathering spots of intellectuals; emotions can, and often do, take precedence over common sense and reasoned thought. And any anti-immigrant movement---even an anti ILLEGAL-immigrant group--is, by its very nature, destined to attract some of the more virulent members of the community. These folks aren't always interested in the finer points of immigration law, if you get my drift. They are more apt to notice the differnces in human skin-color. Good place to stay away from, in my opinion......

You are right...I hadn't thought about it from that perspective. Of course, taht's because I am not one of the people who WOULD behave like that. If a "mob mentality" begins to form, then I guess just about anything is liable to happen.

I really wish there were a way to handle this whole situation in a non-violent and peaceful way that would benefit everybody involved. :-(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2007, 12:41 PM
 
491 posts, read 1,291,367 times
Reputation: 83
when is the pro illegal rally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2007, 12:42 PM
 
457 posts, read 302,203 times
Reputation: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I'd question how you determined that "not a single Hispanic was there". Short of a personal interview with each individual, how did you arrive at this very broad conclusion? Were there any MARRIED Hispanics there, or did you only check out the "single" ones?.......
Granted, I did not. I must admit, I based that assumption on "racial profiling" and didn't even realize it till now. Thank you for pointing that out, and my apologies, whether you found that offensive or not. :-(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top