Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 10:52 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Marine Juan Perez of Sunnyside has been fighting the federal government for nearly two years to get a green card for his wife, Diana Blanco De La O. She was born in Mexico and brought to the U.S. illegally by her family at age 9. The couple have lived more than 2,800 miles apart since early 2011, when Blanco De La O became stranded in Mexico while trying to obtain a green card.

She would have been DACA-qualified, should she be able to come back in legally?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 11:25 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times
No. You see. I have a wife who is a legal immigrant. She had a tourist visa and then I applied for permanent residency for her. Because she was at that point "intending" to reside and not just visit she had to do her waiting out of this country. It took over a year of us being apart before all LEGAL paperwork was completed and she could come here as a LEGAL resident.
So no, I really don't feel bad for anybody here illegally trying to beat the system and butt in line. Being apart from family and loved ones is a normal part of the immigration process when done legally. Not to mention the thousands of dollars spent as well.
Enforce the 10 year ban from any VISA for being an overstay and then wait in line like the rest of us. If they don't want to be apart, spend some money on a plane ticket and go visit/live there while waiting.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:40 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
No. You see. I have a wife who is a legal immigrant. She had a tourist visa and then I applied for permanent residency for her. Because she was at that point "intending" to reside and not just visit she had to do her waiting out of this country. It took over a year of us being apart before all LEGAL paperwork was completed and she could come here as a LEGAL resident...
I can understand you, I married outside the United States in 2005, and it was 2007 before my wife and stepchildren were legally admitted (K-3/K-4 visa), an 18-month wait, and it was 2008 before they got their residency (another 8-month wait). My main reason for posting this stories is that it is a fellow veteran; During the wait for my family to come here I was on deployment orders.

Quote:
...So no, I really don't feel bad for anybody here illegally trying to beat the system and butt in line. Being apart from family and loved ones is a normal part of the immigration process when done legally. Not to mention the thousands of dollars spent as well.
Enforce the 10 year ban from any VISA for being an overstay and then wait in line like the rest of us. If they don't want to be apart, spend some money on a plane ticket and go visit/live there while waiting.
I've heard of separate incidents of a U.S. citizen spouse and a wife waiting out a ban being killed during the process. This Marine's wife isn't working because the city around her is dangerous. He could have expected situations for himself during his service to this country, but something like this would be unbearable for me to have my wife in danger.

EDIT: Actually, your wife should have been able to do an Adjustment of Status within the United States (she was "inspected" on entry with her "Tourist" visa), just like this Marine's wife should have been able to do...

Last edited by IBMMuseum; 11-26-2012 at 01:00 AM.. Reason: Additional data...

Old 11-26-2012, 06:53 AM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post

She would have been DACA-qualified, should she be able to come back in legally?...
So now DACA should include those who were illegal immigrants but went back in Mexico or whatever other country that they are a citizen of? I don't think so! I thought being married to a U.S. citizen made it easier for a spouse to come here the legal way.

I fail to see the relevance of the U.S. citizen being a military man. I disagree that the rules should be different for them than any other citizen in regards to marrying an illegal immigrant.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:13 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:

Post a link to the actual story, please. A brief paragaraph doesn't give me enough context.

However, someone brought in illegally as a child has not committed a crime. They're not 'on the clock' for illegal presence until they hit 18. So, if she stayed here after the age of 18, her illegal presence is on her and she should pay the price for it. Unfortunately, the way our system works she will probably eventually get to immigrate. For some reason, the USCIS is fairly forgiving when it comes to illegal presence but if you have one blemish on your record for marijuana possession, you better just forget it now. It's asinine.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:19 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,949 times
Gosh voluntarily marry an illegal and life is difficult. Why are we shocked? Are our immigration laws supposed to apply to every single foreigner who might have at some point been eligible for amnesty retroactively? She went back home voluntarily. If her husband wants her back here he should have to follow the same laws that govern anyone else who wants to come here. Her decision to break our laws should not grant her any sort of special immigration status. What are Mexico's laws in this regard? Is her husband automatically a Mexican citizen because he married a Mexican? If not why not?

Old 11-26-2012, 08:28 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Sorry, but my illegal alien compassion card expired a few years ago. We have a very generous legal immigration process. Boo Hoo.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:30 AM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times
Quote:
.EDIT: Actually, your wife should have been able to do an Adjustment of Status within the United States (she was "inspected" on entry with her "Tourist" visa), just like this Marine's wife should have been able to do...
No she couldn't. We met in Costa Rica and were together for 5 years before getting married. I was working in CR for half the year and she would come visit in the US for a couple month's for the summer. If we got married in the US and tried to adjust status it would have been difficult to prove it wasn't planned before she got on the plane and would have been fraud in the eyes of immigration. Adjustment of status is meant for couple's who decide on a spur of the moment while in the US, or who meet while here. If they can prove they were planning to enter the US to apply for residency it would be VISA fraud. It's all about what you intend to do upon entering the US. A tourist VISA is strictly for visiting. To come here and plan to merry/apply for residency one must apply for the proper VISA.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:57 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
No. You see. I have a wife who is a legal immigrant. She had a tourist visa and then I applied for permanent residency for her. Because she was at that point "intending" to reside and not just visit she had to do her waiting out of this country. It took over a year of us being apart before all LEGAL paperwork was completed and she could come here as a LEGAL resident.
So no, I really don't feel bad for anybody here illegally trying to beat the system and butt in line. Being apart from family and loved ones is a normal part of the immigration process when done legally. Not to mention the thousands of dollars spent as well.
I applaud you and your wife for taking the LEGAL route. Unlike millions of others, you both obviously have integrity, and chose to sacrifice to play by the rules.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:15 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,668,081 times
Quote:

Many illegals know how to use the system. Now that she got caught it turns to a sob story. If he wants to be together he can go & join her in her country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration