Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 09:13 PM

447 posts, read 798,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Whos renouncing? Who'd be stupid enough to do that? Theres something called Duel Citizenship. no problem with that.

PS I know your being sarcastic

ok...one question...if america and mexico went to war over this issue...where would your loyalties lie? maybe i jumped the gun on my last post to you...is it red white and green or red white and blue?

me? old glory waves out in front...and i will always defend america in any battle cry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 10:11 PM

447 posts, read 798,189 times
travelling fella:

god...for once i am speechless.....there are truly tears in my eyes....seriously, no joke.

thank you for the words...and i quote you..."also after reading vivski story I became strongly convinced that Ilegal immigration is wrong, I had my doubts before, but after reading her story I pictured myself in her shoes and I was able to understand why this became such a big issue, and why is people so angry about it."

when my husband was hurt in the "accident" he was a big guy, 6 foot tall, very muscular and athletic...after coming home from the hospital after an 8 day stay in intensive care he was a different person, he could not bathe himself, he could not walk...going to the bathroom was an adventure...with me, a 5foot 3 inch girl as his help. we struggled to make things work....he told me once that he wished that he'd died in the accident, that death wouldve been better than to live with his injuries...or the fact that nothing was being done about the man who'd almost killed him.
eleven years later, he walks on a broken leg that has never healed correctly, he has undergone 6 surgeries to try to repair the damage done, but nothing has helped, and though he does have a broken leg, he works a 40+ hour workweek in the sheetmetal industry, crawling under houses, and in attics, and on rooftops, to make ends meet...he is my hero...he complains rarely of his pain...but he is a different man....when we found out about the capture of his offender, and the fact that no-one in authority told us about it, we were all angry...my sons in particular....who are 18 and 16 right now....they were effected in a way i never expceted...i saw signs of their anger and frustration, but never realized how badly this thing had effected them, (they were 7 and 5 when the accident happened)but that cinco de mayo, their daddy was taken away from them...he couldnt play ball with them, he couldnt run with them....but he never stopped being their father, and as angry as we were, we do not hate anyone.
we understand the plight of the average illegal...we sympathize with their needs...we even understand and sympathise with the authroities whose hands have seemed to have been tied by higher powers...
.and as christians, we pray for each one who have a need and those who wanted to do their job in protecting us, but couldnt..
i just feel that there is also a need in america, and if other countries governments and people rely on america to settle their need,and do not force their elected officials to do th eright thing, without caring of the americans need, then where does that leave us?
i thank you for your kind words and hope that the country you love can figure this out, because it's the people who are running from this situation that are causing all the harm...and the men and women in power who are taking advantage of the need...and the people who do nothing to make things better for their own people who make this issue worse...you do not sound like that type of person, i hear your concern, and admire it...truly we are our brothers keeper, is that not true?
bless you, and your nation....and never fear, as long as you believe in god.
maybe along with your faith you can bring mexico back home...maybe you can make it's people proud enough of her to stay there. and maybe , even though borders exisist,maybe the world can have more understanding for each other...after all, we are all humans, and no matter what color skin we have we do bleed the same color, do we not?

Old 10-15-2007, 10:25 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,951,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivski View Post
ok...one question...if america and mexico went to war over this issue...where would your loyalties lie? maybe i jumped the gun on my last post to you...is it red white and green or red white and blue?

me? old glory waves out in front...and i will always defend america in any battle cry.
Since I am 1st Generation Mexican I may be sympathetic to my Mexican heritage. Having dual citizenship says nothing about which is loyal to ones country. Your basically asking me what will you prefer, the famous tortilla? or a Hamburger. I will take the hamburger with no thought. I was born here, my beliefs are here, and dammit. I'm here.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:43 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
i think you mean calderon. fox is gone, and apparently mexicans are sick of him, too. on the news this morning, i heard that a statue of him that was erected someplace in mexico stood for two whole hours before protestors tore it down. the police stood by and watched.
Actually, two whole hours is not bad. If someone erected a statue of Jorge Bush I doubt it would last 15 minutes.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:43 AM

402 posts, read 1,061,252 times
Quote:
Actually, two whole hours is not bad. If someone erected a statue of Jorge Bush I doubt it would last 15 minutes.
Sentiments in his own party are even leaning that way.

Quote:
Your basically asking me what will you prefer, the famous tortilla? or a Hamburger. I will take the hamburger with no thought. I was born here, my beliefs are here, and dammit. I'm here.
No she isn't. don't you know that either country can draft you to fight for them regardles of how you feel ? .....if you have a dual citizenship. You need to study the handbook for dual citizenship.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:39 PM

41 posts, read 146,502 times
Our US government has let us down BIG TIME.

When Pete Wilson was governor of California there was a proposition 187 that said illegal immigrants would be ineligible for benefits and their US born offspring would not become automatically US citizens .
Well, the people of California spoke and 187 passed, however, the politicians blocked it.

Now we are here and look at the results; there is no incentive for them having small families because the more kids, the more money is paid in welfare, section 8, medical care, education etc. Many of the husbands (if married) are probably at the home depots getting cash if they're hired by Americans. How ironic!

If Americans would stop hiring illegals the problem of illegal immigration would go away.

After Ronald Reagan gave amnesty to illegals the word got out. Can you blame them for coming over, seeking a better future and expecting a similar outcome to US citizenship? I don't.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:45 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,951,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivski View Post

The only relation I have with Mexico is my parents being born there.

Old 02-16-2008, 03:34 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewvdt View Post
Our US government has let us down BIG TIME.

When Pete Wilson was governor of California there was a proposition 187 that said illegal immigrants would be ineligible for benefits and their US born offspring would not become automatically US citizens .
Well, the people of California spoke and 187 passed, however, the politicians blocked it.

Now we are here and look at the results; there is no incentive for them having small families because the more kids, the more money is paid in welfare, section 8, medical care, education etc. Many of the husbands (if married) are probably at the home depots getting cash if they're hired by Americans. How ironic!

If Americans would stop hiring illegals the problem of illegal immigration would go away.

After Ronald Reagan gave amnesty to illegals the word got out. Can you blame them for coming over, seeking a better future and expecting a similar outcome to US citizenship? I don't.
And a lot of people agree with you there.............

Old 02-17-2008, 08:51 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,593,942 times
[quote=GH0ST..;1728712]the native americans were definitely mistreated, but so are modern day mexicans. its funny how we never questioned their immigration or cheap labor practices when we needed them, [quote]

You're kidding, right?? People have been up in arms about illegal immigration since before the 1986 IRCA amnesty bill was passed. In fact it was the people's anger that made that bill possible. Do you think the government would have done ANYTHING without being prodded??

After Simpson-Mazzoli, the good folks of California passed Prop. 187 in 1994 to try and minimize the financial damage to the state caused by illegal aliens. Look closely at that year, 1994, that was 14 years ago, just 6 short years after IRCA, and forward-thinking people were fighting this illegal immigration anarchy.

To sit there and spew total BS like this
Quote:
but now that the dollar is devalued and cost of living has gone up (thanks federal reserve act!), we treat them like criminals. how convenient!
when the FACTS show something COMPLETELY DIFFERENT, only shows that you are willing to lie, prevaricate, obfuscate, twist, turn, cheat, steal and rob to get what you want.

You sir, are a FRAUD of the first order, and should be utterly ashamed of yourself, but from what I've seen and experienced of illegal aliens and their symps, I'm sure you have no shame.

Last edited by GuyPinestra; 02-17-2008 at 09:04 AM..

Old 02-17-2008, 09:20 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
What do you think people? should we Mexican citizens become more involved in this debate and contribute with ideas?

Please don't get confused, I'm not talking about immigrants here but of mexican citizens, those of us who live in Mexico, pay taxes, respect laws, care about our home and want something done to keep improving it.

I think that thanks to us things are much better than 30 years ago, and they will keep getting better, I guess most of us worry about this immigration issue and I don't think it is be wise to give a blind eye to it and pretend nothing is happening, but what to do?

please share your thoughts, let's try to have a constructive, civilized debate with more head than gut.

Respect!
They should because they should wonder that even though they may be quite privileged in Mexico and are living fantastic lives, why so many millions of their compadres are not and are even dying trying to leave that rich nation.

Many of the low-life welfare type illegals are obviously not wanted by either country -- but why are so many hard working and motivated Mexicans abandoning ship?

What instability does that bring about when villages empty of their working age people, when men leave behind their wives and children, often never returning to them.

What needs to change in Mexican society that would keep it's people in Mexico and not so many dying trying to escape it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration