Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 11:12 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
By the qualifications that many states have in place, even a non-immigrant can get a driver's license...

It's not just for citizens...
No, but it IS for non-citizens/non-immigrants with legal status. Why should we authorize people who have no legal right to even be here, with a document that allows them to board airplanes, enter federal buildings, etc? Talk about an invitation for terrorism. It's bad enough DACA applicants were rubber-stamped. Hopefully, none with nefarious intent have been approved. But, sadly, we won't know until AFTER the fact. Of course, then it will be too late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 11:57 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,664,523 times
Quote:
By the qualifications that many states have in place, even a non-immigrant can get a driver's license...

It's not just for citizens...
You are still avoiding the word / status illegal. Yes non citizens with a legal status can get a license but not illegals.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:06 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,845,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
You are still avoiding the word / status illegal. Yes non citizens with a legal status can get a license but not illegals.
You didn't read the article I quoted:

Quote:
But several immigration lawyers said they believe the majority of non-citizens who use work permits to get driver’s licenses in Arizona are illegal immigrants placed in deportation proceedings due to the state’s ongoing crackdown on illegal immigrants.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
You answer was contrary to the article.

See your post & my reply.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
You answer was contrary to the article.

See your post & my reply.
So now that you've read the article, you've heard that the Arizona DMV under Governor Brewer's administration has issued driver's licenses to illegal aliens before, why is this being made into a different issue?...

I do need to check that others here have read certain information, and can discern what it means...

An example of a recent nature that wasn't entirely understood comes quickly to mind, but rather than risking a any potential fallout here, I'm thinking about posting the topic in P&OC instead...

Old 12-03-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
So now that you've read the article, you've heard that the Arizona DMV under Governor Brewer's administration has issued driver's licenses to illegal aliens before, why is this being made into a different issue?...

I do need to check that others here have read certain information, and can discern what it means...

An example of a recent nature that wasn't entirely understood comes quickly to mind, but rather than risking a any potential fallout here, I'm thinking about posting the topic in P&OC instead...
Th point was not about the article. It was your response to the question.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Are you actually suggesting simply because several immigration lawyers said they "believe" something, we should accept that as fact? Lawyers will say anything they think will win a case. They're also not known to be the most ethical people on planet earth. After all, they willingly defend clients they know are guilty as sin, including the vilest form of human scum. No offense to the handful of decent lawyers in this country. Furthermore, how did so many illegal aliens in deportation proceedings receive work authorization? They're grasping at straws.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Are you actually suggesting simply because several immigration lawyers said they "believe" something, we should accept that as fact? Lawyers will say anything they think will win a case. They're also not known to be the most ethical people on planet earth. After all, they willingly defend clients they know are guilty as sin, including the vilest form of human scum. No offense to the handful of decent lawyers in this country. Furthermore, how did so many illegal aliens in deportation proceedings receive work authorization? They're grasping at straws.
Having an "EAD" (Employment Authorization Document) is relatively uncommon otherwise. K-1 visas (fiance(e) of a U.S. citizen) generally don't get stamped for employment on entry, and time on K-3 visas (spouse of a U.S. citizen) has decreased dramatically in recent years (so they just wait for legal residency status rather than filing additionally for employment of only a few months). I filed for my wife, but it was rejected.

Who would know their client's immigration status better than an immigration lawyer? The number was 39,600 driver's licenses issued since 2006 in Arizona using EAD as the primary identification document. LPRs would not use EAD (USCIS is going to want the I-766 back after they issue the Resident Card), it is defined as not being for "immigrants".

What is so hard to believe?...

Last edited by IBMMuseum; 12-03-2012 at 04:26 PM..

Old 12-03-2012, 03:23 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Having an "EAD" (Employment Authorization Document) is relatively uncommon otherwise. K-1 visas (fiance(e) of a U.S. citizen) generally don't get stamped for employment on entry, and time on K-3 visas (spouse of a U.S. citizen) has decreased dramatically in recent years (so they just wait for legal residency status rather than filing additionally for employment of only a few months). I filed for my wife, but it was rejected.

Who would know their client's immigration status better than an immigration lawyer? The number was 39,600 driver's licenses issued since 2006 in Arizona using EAD as the primary identification document. LPRs would not use EAD (USCIS is going to want the I-766 back after they issue the Resident Card), it is defined as being not being for "immigrants".

Everything you just posted is for immigrants legally here.

Deferred action did not give them legal status to be here.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:

Who would know their client's immigration status better than an immigration lawyer? The number was 39,600 driver's licenses issued since 2006 in Arizona using EAD as the primary identification document. LPRs would not use EAD (USCIS is going to want the I-766 back after they issue the Resident Card), it is defined as being not being for "immigrants".

You have only the word *cough* of immigration lawyers. If they actually represented the thousands of illegals they claim received licenses, they wouldn't have to "believe" they know anything, would they? They would have concrete proof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration