U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-14-2007, 06:01 PM
 
Location: new mexico
447 posts, read 705,862 times
Reputation: 104

Advertisements

when i joined this forum i was looking for somewhere i could vent, and maybe get some answers...
i may have become addicted to this forum over the past month or so reading the threads, i admit it.

but one thing i don't understand, is the pro illegal opinion.

they seem to switch the subject of illegal immigration to an anti mexican thing, and that is not what it is about for most of the posters on this forum.

i first realized how terrible the illegal immigration problem was in 1996 when one nearly killed my husband.
i learned the man was from mexico and started talking to authorities, police, district attorneys, websites, i started watching the news more closely, i started listening and observing....
then i watched in horror as the twin towers fell, and listened in sadness learning that all who were involved that day were also illegal immigrants...
in eleven years i have learned of thousands of victims of violent crime committed by illegals.
i have and never have said all illegals are threats, nor have i ever said all illegal immigrants are mexican.

what i have, and most others on this forum who are anti illegal have said is this is my country...i want control in who comes here, and i will protect her borders and her citizens from any one who comes here to harm her.

doesnt matter the race...or nationality ...what matters to me (and others)is that they chose to invade our country quietly, and illegally, until recently, during the marches where they spoke so loudly they woke a sleeping giant ...the american people who are banding together for the most part in opposition to their demands.... and if this is going to become a battle, i know which side i will be on, because these colors do not run...america is red white and blue. never forget that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-14-2007, 06:09 PM
 
537 posts, read 311,881 times
Reputation: 182
The only reason that they use the racism and/or bigotry card i because they havenothing else and the facts are that it works on weak Amerians who are afraid of being called names.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2007, 06:15 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veiled Prophet View Post
The only reason that they use the racism and/or bigotry card i because they havenothing else and the facts are that it works on weak Amerians who are afraid of being called names.
I agree------and, the 'race card' elicits less and less sympathy from me by the day-------especially for a bunch of lawbreakers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2007, 06:30 PM
 
383 posts, read 1,020,642 times
Reputation: 179
My family is mostly white, but I have quite a few cousins, aunts, and uncles who are hispanic. Much of my family is from southern Texas, so it is only natural.

My brother is also dating a hispanic girl with a strong Mexican heritage.

I'm not a racist, I love hispanic people. Mexican culture is very interesting. I love learning about their customs. As long as they consider themselves Americans before Mexicans, then I open my arms to people with Mexican or other latino background.

It is when they consider themselves their national origin before American when I have a problem. I have German ancestry, but I don't call myself a German. That is simply ridiculous.

I show compassion to all those who make the great journey to America, legal or illegal. But illegals must follow our laws, and do things the correct way. It isn't as black and white as stealing, or breaking a law. These people escape problamatic circumstances, and we as Americans need to at least acknowledge their plight.

But illegals need to recognize our situation as well. We as a country are losing our culture to illegals who refuse to assimilate. For the many that do want to be a part of our country, I really do feel for them. But for the many who don't, it is hard to show compassion when you don't want to contribute to America.

We all bleed red. We are all human. But we have our customs, our traditions, our ways, and anyone who wants to assimilate to these customs is welcome to me. Everyone else needs to get out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2007, 06:46 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times
Reputation: 2983
I think it's about a number of factors....among them, (1) being here illegally (2) Race , and (3) behavior.

On the surface, their being here is illegal. That can't be denied. Neither can the fact that many clearly racist folks have "jumped on the bandwagon" in this issue. It's truly a "racists' dream" to have a group of clearly-identifiable minorities that REALLY ARE doing something wrong! You can rant and rave against them and "seem" not to be racist. It's hard to see into a person's heart, and on this issue, the non-racists find themselves in awkward agreement with the racists. I simply don't buy the fact that there would be this visceral reaction, if the new illegals were Danish. But we'll never know, because of the LAST reason:

The LAST reason is a matter of behavior. Much of the public behavior of some of the illegal-alien "activists" seems so absolutely guaranteed to "infuriate" the average American that it seems they must have KKK members for their PR advisors. Even mild-mannered, non-confrontational Americans have been alarmed by the sight of hundreds of people surging down the street, carrying what is, of course, a FOREIGN flag. (and I've noticed here in Southern Cal. that many now are carrying American flags--somebody must have "put out the word"). Nevertheless, most of these activist group leaders seem almost totally clueless as to why the American public is getting fed-up. In-your-face confrontation, and a long list of demands, is just not the way to get Americans on your side. Americans are suckers for gratitude and appreciation, not bullying, disrespect, and intimidation. If you REALLY need help, most of us will gladly go halfway with you...but DON'T try threatening us! Seems like a simple matter to me, but its a fact of life apparently lost on some of the noisier "activists". They DO NOT represent all illegals. The illegals I've known want to keep far away from confrontation, and don't want to risk losing the little that they have. But you don't see them on TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2007, 06:53 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I think it's about a number of factors....among them, (1) being here illegally (2) Race , and (3) behavior.

On the surface, their being here is illegal. That can't be denied. Neither can the fact that many clearly racist folks have "jumped on the bandwagon" in this issue. It's truly a "racists' dream" to have a group of clearly-identifiable minorities that REALLY ARE doing something wrong! You can rant and rave against them and "seem" not to be racist. It's hard to see into a person's heart, and on this issue, the non-racists find themselves in awkward agreement with the racists. I simply don't buy the fact that there would be this visceral reaction, if the new illegals were Danish. But we'll never know, because of the LAST reason:

The LAST reason is a matter of behavior. Much of the public behavior of some of the illegal-alien "activists" seems so absolutely guaranteed to "infuriate" the average American that it seems they must have KKK members for their PR advisors. Even mild-mannered, non-confrontational Americans have been alarmed by the sight of hundreds of people surging down the street, carrying what is, of course, a FOREIGN flag. (and I've noticed here in Southern Cal. that many now are carrying American flags--somebody must have "put out the word"). Nevertheless, most of these activist group leaders seem almost totally clueless as to why the American public is getting fed-up. In-your-face confrontation, and a long list of demands, is just not the way to get Americans on your side. Americans are suckers for gratitude and appreciation, not bullying, disrespect, and intimidation. If you REALLY need help, most of us will gladly go halfway with you...but DON'T try threatening us! Seems like a simple matter to me, but its a fact of life apparently lost on some of the noisier "activists". They DO NOT represent all illegals. The illegals I've known want to keep far away from confrontation, and don't want to risk losing the little that they have. But you don't see them on TV.
Let me put it this way:

If we were being inudated by a bunch of Gaelic speaking 1840's 'Shanty Irish' who lived down to their stereotypes--------Yours Truly would be uber pissed and worried as well. I happen to look like an Irishman/Viking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2007, 07:03 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Let me put it this way:

If we were being inudated by a bunch of Gaelic speaking 1840's 'Shanty Irish' who lived down to their stereotypes--------Yours Truly would be uber pissed and worried as well. I happen to look like an Irishman/Viking.
As you alluded, IF that happened, and "they" acted like you described, then "we" would be upset at THEM. I'm only suggesting that the added layer of racism makes the reaction all the stronger. Not for you, or me, of course---but the added dimension of "race" does open up the situation to those coming "out of the woodwork" who perhaps wouldn't otherwise be so concerned. Race, like sexuality, can turn a drab, every-day legal argument into a three-ring circus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2007, 09:07 PM
 
82 posts, read 48,894 times
Reputation: 28
This is an excellent post and I agree fully. There is absolutely NO reason we cannot shut our borders and clean our house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivski View Post
when i joined this forum i was looking for somewhere i could vent, and maybe get some answers...
i may have become addicted to this forum over the past month or so reading the threads, i admit it.

but one thing i don't understand, is the pro illegal opinion.

they seem to switch the subject of illegal immigration to an anti mexican thing, and that is not what it is about for most of the posters on this forum.

i first realized how terrible the illegal immigration problem was in 1996 when one nearly killed my husband.
i learned the man was from mexico and started talking to authorities, police, district attorneys, websites, i started watching the news more closely, i started listening and observing....
then i watched in horror as the twin towers fell, and listened in sadness learning that all who were involved that day were also illegal immigrants...
in eleven years i have learned of thousands of victims of violent crime committed by illegals.
i have and never have said all illegals are threats, nor have i ever said all illegal immigrants are mexican.

what i have, and most others on this forum who are anti illegal have said is this is my country...i want control in who comes here, and i will protect her borders and her citizens from any one who comes here to harm her.

doesnt matter the race...or nationality ...what matters to me (and others)is that they chose to invade our country quietly, and illegally, until recently, during the marches where they spoke so loudly they woke a sleeping giant ...the american people who are banding together for the most part in opposition to their demands.... and if this is going to become a battle, i know which side i will be on, because these colors do not run...america is red white and blue. never forget that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2007, 09:48 PM
 
Location: NM
402 posts, read 938,055 times
Reputation: 206
Quote:
This is an excellent post and I agree fully. There is absolutely NO reason we cannot shut our borders and clean our house
.


I don't understand why it is being delayed. My Grand son-in-law spent a couple of months on the Border with the AZ National Guard, so I have heard a few stories from him and I believe that they were in serious danger there like he is now in Afghanistan.
Maybe not with the same kinds of artillery, but dead is dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2007, 06:22 AM
 
457 posts, read 301,980 times
Reputation: 67
Well, the obvious reason is that most, if not all, "Pro-ILLEGALS" either ARE ILLEGAL or are harboring ILLEGALS themselves in some way shaoe or form. Remember, this whole ILLEGAL phenomena is designed to get them ALL over here for us to support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top