U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 10:33 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,630,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
I have an idea that can make the Government A LOT of money and grant citizenship to the already living Illegals and tighter border security. Well, what the Government could do is give pardon to all Illegals so they won't be scared anymore. Fine each illegal $8,000 or so since immigrating to the U.S is a CRIME, and like all crimes you serve time or pay a fine or both. Imagine all the money the Government can get from this. $8,000 to about 40 million or so illegals in this country? Roughly $320 Billion dollars. That can help go towards securing our borders and whatever the Government might need the money for.. Iraq for instance? LOL. Thats my thought, what do you guys think?
Sounds like a fine idea to me, except for a few things---(1) We've already HAD a BIG amnesty for illegals, back in 1986. There was LOTS of grumbling, and lots of objections, but we went ahead and did it anyway, to "satisfy" the immigrants. Three million people were legalized, and that was going to be "the end of it". I think it's safe to say that things didn't EXACTLY work out that way. Sems to me that the illegals now are even MADDER now than they were then.

Secondly, here in California, many people just don't trust ANY government promises. Prop. 209 comes to mind, in which the voters CLEARLY made known their objections to providing funds for social services and tuition for those here illegally- yet a judge simply "shot it down"---so much for the "will of the people". More recently, there have been lawsuits filed over the fact that students in the California system from Oregon or Nevada, etc., pay high "out-of-state" tuituion, but illegals pay low "in-state"" rates. Once again, no action from our "leaders".

I know you missed most of this, ProLogic, being 17 years old. But this stuff didn't just start last week. The American public has been watching this "simmer" for years. Now that the illegals are moving far from the border into "low-immigrant" areas, suddenly it's getting LOTS of attention--from those who once "laughed" at our problems here near the border. They seem even MORE upset than WE are....go figure.

Bottom line is, ProLogic, you have a good 17-year old outlook...but the "older generation" has screwed things up. Maybe you "young guys" can fix it (?)....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 03:25 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,165,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
That's short money - they'll cost us BILLIONS more in the long run if they are allowed to stay.
I think they contribute more than they consume.

macmeal, we have a debate club at school called JSA. I haven't gone to debate yet but I think I will go to the next meeting. I will tell you guys what my schools outlook is on Illegal Immigration. Aside from that, sadly, I think theres only a handful of people who care about Americas future at my school.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:45 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,630,805 times
Quote:

macmeal, we have a debate club at school called JSA. I haven't gone to debate yet but I think I will go to the next meeting. I will tell you guys what my schools outlook is on Illegal Immigration. Aside from that, sadly, I think theres only a handful of people who care about Americas future at my school.
Well, if that's true, it's worrisome. Today's 17-year olds will be running the place before we know it. I hope you can "whip them into shape" ProLogic--if anyone gives you a hard time, put them in touch with me!...

Old 10-15-2007, 06:28 PM

447 posts, read 706,740 times
Quote:

prologic, in the past i have been critical of you, and for that i do apologize...you seem to be a very bright and passionate 17 years old, with a good future ahead of you, keep using your brain...
but i have to agree with macmeal....this country is fed up....with alot more than illegal immigration...this country is in turmoil.

i feel the only reason this issue has become so serious lately is the in your face demands of the illegals and their president about his feelings of just where the broder of america really is....alot of americans are calling this a battle cry, they are calling it war.
i feel that given time this issue could be the main focus for america...if not dealt with by special election.

let americans speak, let them vote on this issue, and if the majority of americans agree with you, then so be it...but if they agree with me, and the many who have responded to your post, then so be it....too...enforce the majorities vote.
remember this land was formed by people who wanted government to work for the people, by the people...... not against them.
they expected to have a voice in what happened to america...and that spirit is still alive and well...
maybe in this post you have made a point i can agree with if not in it's entirety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or