Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 01:35 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,579,134 times

Advertisements

TULSA, Okla. (AP) - Some Tulsa area schools are seeing Hispanic students leaving as a state law targeting illegal immigrants is about to go into effect.

Principal Judy Feary at Kendall-Whittier Elementary says some students are seen getting into packed cars pulling a moving trailer and they don't return to class.

She says some are heading back to Mexico while others are going to other states. And she says school officials are hearing others are planning to leave in October.

A law passed earlier this year takes effect Nov. 1 which requires law officers to check the immigration status of people they arrest on felony and drunken-driving charges. The law is also intended to prevent illegal immigrants from getting jobs and many public benefits.

Hispanic students leaving Tulsa area schools
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 02:50 PM

1,484 posts, read 4,155,030 times
Default Great!!!

Great,
hey I thought they were "undocumented" and not illegal? Looks like its the other way around. I hope this action spreads...

Old 09-14-2007, 02:51 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,676,379 times
This is great news. Now if ICE would only wait until they are all packed up and bust them!

Old 09-14-2007, 03:03 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,493,695 times
I wonder what is happening to the legal hispanics. How are they being treated in Oklahoma?

Old 09-14-2007, 03:32 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,468,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
I wonder what is happening to the legal hispanics. How are they being treated in Oklahoma?
I am sure they are treated with dignity. You get stopped, you are asked if you are a citizen, you show your proof and life goes on......easy. When I lived in Canada I was asked twice by an officer if I was a citizen and did I have my papers. I showed him my papers and all was well. What is the problem with acting lawful?

Old 09-14-2007, 05:27 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,005,485 times
Well, Texas had better get off its butt and pass some decent anti-illegal immigration laws. If people are fleeing Oklahoma over this, they'll likely come here, as if we don't have enough!

Old 09-14-2007, 05:33 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,508,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
TULSA, Okla. (AP) - Some Tulsa area schools are seeing Hispanic students leaving as a state law targeting illegal immigrants is about to go into effect.

Principal Judy Feary at Kendall-Whittier Elementary says some students are seen getting into packed cars pulling a moving trailer and they don't return to class.

She says some are heading back to Mexico while others are going to other states. And she says school officials are hearing others are planning to leave in October.

A law passed earlier this year takes effect Nov. 1 which requires law officers to check the immigration status of people they arrest on felony and drunken-driving charges. The law is also intended to prevent illegal immigrants from getting jobs and many public benefits.

Hispanic students leaving Tulsa area schools
Fabulous! Now if ICE would just man the ways in and out of town they could nab them and deport them before they settle in some other nice American town.

Old 09-14-2007, 05:43 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,468,249 times
Hurray! Keep them on the run until they find it a lot easier to run back across the border.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:42 PM

447 posts, read 797,976 times
this is progress, people...more states should adopt the law and enforce it...afterall it is their duty.

Old 09-15-2007, 02:12 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,579,134 times
More news about this subject.

Author of state immigration law says it appears to be working

TULSA, Okla. (AP) - Authors of Oklahoma's tough new law targeting illegal immigrants say reports that Hispanic children are leaving Tulsa Public Schools indicates the law's working.

Sen. James Williamson of Tulsa says the purpose of the law was to reduce the number of illegal immigrants in Oklahoma because it's costing taxpayers a lot of money to educate them.

Rep. Randy Terrill of Moore says officials estimate that illegal immigrants cost the state about $200 million annually in increased education, health, welfare and corrections costs.

KSWO, Lawton, OK- Wichita Falls, TX: News, Weather, Sports. ABC, 24/7, Telemundo - Author of state immigration law says it appears to be working
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration