U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 09:43 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,874,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
We are at a huge turning-point in history. I don't think it's obvious now, but in retrospect, in 200 years or so, it will be. The huge explosion of illegals is happening at the same time that the American middle class is suffering greatly from corporate downsizing and the off-shoring of jobs. MORE people are showing up to claim FEWER jobs.
And, just now, at the worst possible time, America itself is losing its own culture, in a misguided love-affair with "multiculturalism". The result is now, at a time when huge numbers of immigrants are arriving, we as Americans are giving them the message that "it's not important that you assimilate, or learn English. We can easily accomodate many languages and cultures. After all, all cultures are equal"

It's little wonder that the new immigrants find this message confusing, to say the least. We wonder why they don't "rush" to embrace our language and adapt to our culture, But from their point of view, why should they take our culture seriously when we ourselves obviously don't?

Most countries don't worry about accomodating new arrivals. We didn't, either, a few decades ago. If you get here, you either sink or swim--nobody's going to "baby" you. That's the message in most of the world's countries toward immigrants.

But those days are over, here in the US, and the new immigrants know it. It's pretty simple to figure out--people aren't going to go to great effort to do anything they're not forced to do. Changing languages and cultures takes a lot of effort, particularly for working adults. And now, in our new society, we no longer insist on assimilation. If some people want to, they will--but if not, that's OK by us. Pretty easy to see why there's no huge rush to "become American"....
Not speaking our language or adapting to our culture are irritations, but IMO most Americans are upset about far greater problems illegals have caused, such as crime, being ruined financially, losing their housing and medical. Most citizens just want all illegals gone yesterday.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:58 PM

1,459 posts, read 4,040,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
And there are millions of Hispanic gang members with AK-47's and other Automatic assault rifles.
You think gang members are the only ones with assault weapons, I don't think so.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:00 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post
You think gang members are the only ones with assault weapons, I don't think so.
No joke there------and, there is little love lost between Black and Latino gangs.

Admittedly many of today's gangs are integrating but still.......

Old 10-16-2007, 10:23 PM

1,510 posts, read 709,122 times
can someone define american culture? because i was always under the impression american culture was a hybrid of all the cultures of our populace's native countries passed down through generations when applicable.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:51 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0ST.. View Post
can someone define american culture? because i was always under the impression american culture was a hybrid of all the cultures of our populace's native countries passed down through generations when applicable.
I have quite a number of former posts on exactly this topic if you'd care to "dig". Somehow, I don't think you'll agree with them, though. Otherwise, can somebody else step in here, please?....

Old 10-17-2007, 06:08 AM

6,764 posts, read 19,282,457 times
Quote:
American culture is hard to define. What most people want is that laws are fair for EVERYONE. It means you come to the USA and respect the basic morality & mores of the majority of the population--

1) Most of us speak English, at least in business & out in the 'real world.' Actually make an attempt to learn it. People (like myself) are willing to tutor for free to help immigrants. Do not have an attitude that WE must BEND for you because you want to 'keep your language' or have some lame excuse that the original settlers in the USA were Asian settlers 5,000 years ago so we should be speaking ancient Eskimo or something...

2) We have a certain code of ethics in the USA. That means 'no stealing, no murdering, respect the family and the values of the family, take care, not harm children. You know, basic morality. Of course American citizens break these rules every day, but the MAJORITY of us follow them.

3) Learn about cultural differences and FOLLOW THEM. I find various cultural differences (there are books out there) fascinating. In some countries, for example, it is taboo to arrive at a meeting more than 5 minutes late. It means total disrespect for the other parties involved. In some cultures, like in the USA and UK, people tend to have 'a big bubble' of personal space. That means you don't stand on top of them when you talk, you don't keep touching them, you BACK OFF. A lot of foreigners from Latino countries (I am not making this up) have smaller bubbles. They like to stand on top of people and gesture, and are used to being 'closer' in proximity. This can cause a problem in the USA.

Another big thing we don't have in the USA is this 'machismo' concept. Men with manners (most of them) do not eye up every woman who walks by and make comments or noises or think he is so hot she is going to running after him. Look in the mirror. You're not so hot. Just act like human being and control yourself.

Finally, learn about cleanliness and practice it. Don't dump your body fluids & so forth on bathroom floors. There is a toilet, learn how to use it. (I know someone who worked in a factory with mostly foreigners from S.A. or C.A. and they used to foul the bathrooms. Yes, I have been in many a US public toilet and they are gross (many US people are pigs) but still, we all like a clean place to 'do our business' so maybe it's another facet of USA culture certain foreigners need to 'study.'

I do think the problem is the majority of the people here now (illegal or not) are from third world nations and extremely poor backgrounds so they may have no idea how 'to function' because they are used to dirty conditions or simply haven't been taught 'manners.' When you are scrapping for your daily bread it's kind of hard to sit and read a book on etiquette.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:29 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
What GypsySoul22 pretty much described was First World and/or Middle Class values anywhere-------most of which Mexico et al do not have.

Another trait of majority American culture is not being up all hours of the night drinking and being noisy.

And; despite many qualms about it, the so-called 'Protestant Work Ethic' is another along with being frugal.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:30 AM

2,087 posts, read 1,052,974 times
Quote:

You would know it if you were one. What is your culture?

Old 10-17-2007, 07:47 AM

3,712 posts, read 5,709,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
You would know it if you were one. What is your culture?
I am not allowed to give you more rep points, but this deserves some kind of award, like 'Post of the Day'.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:56 AM

191 posts, read 652,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
I am not allowed to give you more rep points, but this deserves some kind of award, like 'Post of the Day'.
Hear, hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or