Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 01:57 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times

Advertisements

I am not afraid of being multilingual.

We're not FREE to be multilingual. Spanish has been THRUST upon us. Please don't give me your tired excuses of 'racism' or 'it's great to learn another language' nonsense. Sure it's great to learn another language. I took 4 years of Spanish in high school and 1 year of French in college. These were my choices.

In the USA, we have adapted only for one ethnic group--those who speak Spanish. Every other immigrant group has to learn English or stay in some enclave.

I just wish we had more choices than 'Spanish.'

As for my comments...I stand by them...as we know 'the truth is the strongest argument.'

Last edited by GypsySoul22; 10-18-2007 at 02:22 PM..

Old 10-18-2007, 06:43 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,951,617 times
Whats wrong with Spanish, if you can understand Spanish you can understand a lot of other latin based languages. Some words are similar. For example, I have an uncle who is an immigrant from Portugal and I can understand a lot of words in Portuguese.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:23 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,436,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I am not afraid of being multilingual.
We're not FREE to be multilingual. Spanish has been THRUST upon us. Please don't give me your tired excuses of 'racism' or 'it's great to learn another language' nonsense. Sure it's great to learn another language. I took 4 years of Spanish in high school and 1 year of French in college. These were my choices.

In the USA, we have adapted only for one ethnic group--those who speak Spanish. Every other immigrant group has to learn English or stay in some enclave.

I just wish we had more choices than 'Spanish.'

As for my comments...I stand by them...as we know 'the truth is the strongest argument.'
Truth is that worldwide we are facing a phenomenon where people are migrating and then we get to know people with different cultures and languages than ours it doesn't just happen in America, but everywhere in the world and we could try to be prepared for this and learn something from them the more we can understand each other the better for everybody,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Whats wrong with Spanish, if you can understand Spanish you can understand a lot of other latin based languages. Some words are similar. For example, I have an uncle who is an immigrant from Portugal and I can understand a lot of words in Portuguese.
Portuguese rocks, it's an awesome language kind of a twisted version of spanish, really killer stuff!!
there is something called portunhol where you mix words from both languages, weird but conversation starts to flow between spanish and portuguese speakers even if they've never done it before.

Brazil is an awesome country as well

Last edited by Travelling fella; 10-18-2007 at 07:45 PM..

Old 10-18-2007, 07:28 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,951,617 times
Yea, I love that meat. They marinate it with some leaves and served like a kabob. Also.. Portuguese donuts are wayyy better than American donuts. They put them to shame.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:02 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
I have to admit that Portuguese is absolutely musical to my ears

Then again; one of may fave music genres is Bassa Nova (sp).

Old 10-18-2007, 09:58 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Straying way off topic, again.

Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration