Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2012, 08:36 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,555,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
what are you talking about????? do you know ANYTHING about literature??

please!!!

And, yeah, Russian literature is probably my favourite, but to say "theres not much great literature in spanish" means you know about literature the same i know about cars....wich is: NOTHING.
I'm talking very great literature -- such as War and Peace and Crime and Punishment. Learning Russian would be better when it comes to literature -- better than just about any language. And also for reading scientific research in the original language -- for that French or Russian.

It's fine to learn Spanish - but in the USA it's not going to get you all that far unless you want to work in a welfare office or call center. I live in a Spanish speaking city -- but the highest paid people here speak English, the very lowest paid speak Spanish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 08:38 PM

62,715 posts, read 28,915,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
So we'll still have plenty of opportunity to debate this in the future...
Feel free not to join in the debate if it bothers you.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:39 PM

5,886 posts, read 10,499,456 times
You just confess you dont have time to read books. So, your statement about "there isnt all that much great literature in spanish" explains itself.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:44 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,472,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I speak Spanish, but don't feel in the USA I should be required to speak Spanish. Yet someone accused me of being racist because of that.

So making generalizations about other races and women is fine but not wanting to speak Spanish is racist.
I'm sorry, but no one in the US is "required" to speak Spanish.

What amazes me is you rarely hear anyone complain that fact Greek-Americans speak Greek, or that Polish-Americans speak Polish, or that Korean-Americans speak Korean. Yet, you hear constant complaining about Spanish. Frankly, I don't think there is any such thing as an "English Only" or "English First" movement. It is really just a "No Spanish" movement.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:46 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,835,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Feel free not to join in the debate if it bothers you.
I'll have enough opportunities later...

Sorry, my Granddaughter wants to type and change my capslocks, it might make me appear to fit in...

Old 12-14-2012, 08:57 PM

62,715 posts, read 28,915,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post

What amazes me is you rarely hear anyone complain that fact Greek-Americans speak Greek, or that Polish-Americans speak Polish, or that Korean-Americans speak Korean. Yet, you hear constant complaining about Spanish. Frankly, I don't think there is any such thing as an "English Only" or "English First" movement. It is really just a "No Spanish" movement.
Many jobs "require" Spanish to gain employment now. You were saying?

How many Greek, Polish, Korean-Americans do you suppose use their native languages as their primary language of usage compared to the number of Hispanics here both legally and illegally? How many of those national groups are here illegally compared to Hispanics?

There is no English Only. There is an attempt to make English our official language on the national level. Many states already have done so on the state level. California is one example and I still hear Spanish being spoken everywhere and all the time.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:57 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,522,531 times
Quote:

No, the complaint is that "bilingual" now refers ONLY to English/Spanish, not English and other languages. And, yes, there is a now a requirement to speak Spanish for jobs in every industry to accommodate the "immigrants" who only speak Spanish. Why aren't they required to learn English if they wish to work in a predominately English-speaking country? If you moved to France, would you not expect to learn French? Or, should the French be required to speak English to get a job working in retail, or an HR department simply because millions of English-speaking people chose to live there legally or illegally? When was the last time you had the option to "press 1 for English" and 2 for Greek, Polish, German, or ANY other language?

Old 12-14-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
No, the complaint is that "bilingual" now refers ONLY to English/Spanish, not English and other languages. And, yes, there is a now a requirement to speak Spanish for jobs in every industry to accommodate the "immigrants" who only speak Spanish. Why aren't they required to learn English if they wish to work in a predominately English-speaking country? If you moved to France, would you not expect to learn French? Or, should the French be required to speak English to get a job working in retail, or an HR department simply because millions of English-speaking people chose to live there legally or illegally? When was the last time you had the option to "press 1 for English" and 2 for Greek, Polish, German, or ANY other language?
Here there is a requirement to speak english for jobs in every industry to accommodate to tourists and international companies.
So, what is your complain again??

Why does it bother you SO MUCH to have to speak spanish?? Cause i cant understand the complain really....

Old 12-14-2012, 09:27 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,472,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Many jobs "require" Spanish to gain employment now. You were saying?

How many Greek, Polish, Korean-Americans do you suppose use their native languages as their primary language of usage compared to the number of Hispanics here both legally and illegally? How many of those national groups are here illegally compared to Hispanics?

There is no English Only. There is an attempt to make English our official language on the national level. Many states already have done so on the state level. California is one example and I still hear Spanish being spoken everywhere and all the time.
Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about. I do. I have a M.S. in Applied Linguistics and have been a second-language teacher for over a decade. Let me educate you.

The percentage of immigrants who use English as their native language is much higher today than it was 100 years ago. There are many reason for this; the main reason is that immigrant children spend far more time in school than they once did.

Furthermore, not only are today's Latino immigrants learning English, they appear to be learning it FASTER than European immigrants did 100 years ago. In the early years of the last century, the typical pattern was that immigrants would adopt English as their first language by about the third generation. Today, English typically dominates by the second generation.

In Europe, anyone with even a high school education usually speaks more than one language. In India and much of Africa, multilingualism is the norm. But here in the US, many people do not even want to learn other language. They are proud not to know them, and resent being told speaking more than one language might be helpful in life. It is a shamefully ignorant attitude. It is a national disgrace.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about. I do. I have a M.S. in Applied Linguistics and have been a second-language teacher for over a decade. Let me educate you.

The percentage of immigrants who use English as their native language is much higher today than it was 100 years ago. There are many reason for this; the main reason is that immigrant children spend far more time in school than they once did.

Furthermore, not only are today's Latino immigrants learning English, they appear to be learning it FASTER than European immigrants did 100 years ago. In the early years of the last century, the typical pattern was that immigrants would adopt English as their first language by about the third generation. Today, English typically dominates by the second generation.

In Europe, anyone with even a high school education usually speaks more than one language. In India and much of Africa, multilingualism is the norm. But here in the US, many people do not even want to learn other language. They are proud not to know them, and resent being told speaking more than one language might be helpful in life. It is a shamefully ignorant attitude. It is a national disgrace.

This. 100%

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration