U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-16-2007, 03:05 PM
 
383 posts, read 1,021,389 times
Reputation: 179

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Gringo isn't really racist. It refers to a North-American Anglo. It was a term who's origins are debated. Could of came out from the time the U.S invaded mexico, they wore green army suits. The natives could have said "Green-Go!" saying that they wanted them to leave hence the Gringo. Same thing when Mexicans call Blacks "Negros" Negro is the color Black in Spanish.
And ***** isn't meant to be derogatory.

It is used in a racist context all the time, making it a racist term. Just like I don't go around calling black people negroes, because it comes off badly.

Edit- The word MOD CUT was blocked out above.

Last edited by NewToCA; 10-16-2007 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: Find a different way to make your point

 
Old 10-16-2007, 03:22 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,621,702 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Umm how can you yell 'racists' then use the word 'gringo'?
It reflects a cultural difference. (cultural differences CAN cause lots of anger and frustration). The Mexican culture makes far more use of nicknames and familiar "labels" than does the Anglo US culture. It's common in Mexico, among both friends and strangers, to use nicknames such as "shorty, skinny, chubby. whitey, darkie, blondie, curly, baldy", etc etc. etc. This is not considered offensive. In Anglo culture this would be unacceptably rude, but not so in Mexico.
.
"Gringo" is an informal label for a....well, for a "gringo". It's possible to be used in contempt, but more often it's just a label, like any other. No offense is neccessarily intended. Mexicans would not understand how this may offend, unless they'd learned a little about "Anglo" culture. Then they'd likely "tone it down"...

Does all this mean the Mexican imigrants should try to understand how to get along with the "gringos"? Yes, probably they'd be well advised to try and learn the ways of US society, in order to get along with the "locals". Many have done this. The ones who haven't are the ones we're "annoyed" with.....
 
Old 10-16-2007, 03:48 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,621,702 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by jak88 View Post
And *****

It is used in a racist context all the time, making it a racist term. Just like I don't go around calling black people negroes, because it comes off badly.

.
You are quite correct--this wouldn't help endear you to anyone today---though, at one time, this was considered the label-of-choice by polite society, both black and white, long before the euphemism "colored" came into fashion, after a few years to be replaced by "black", and then onto today's "African American". The word "negro" wasn't particularly offensive at one time; it survives today in the title of the "United Negro College Fund". It was the deliberately mis-pronouced "N" word that, to this day, could be considered an offense in the highest sense--even though it is STILL used, jokingly, by a certain select group of "insiders". Even the word "colored" survives in the official title of the "NAACP".

Very VERY delicate thing, this notion of "racial labels". It's very easy to get "in trouble"......
 
Old 10-16-2007, 04:09 PM
 
Location: California
3,432 posts, read 2,161,594 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by jak88 View Post
And ***** isn't meant to be derogatory.

It is used in a racist context all the time, making it a racist term. Just like I don't go around calling black people negroes, because it comes off badly.

Edit- The word MOD CUT was blocked out above.
To say Negroes in English is derogatory because of the history of the word. Negro however, is Black in Spanish as we in America say Black. Theres no difference. I believe I said that above, I don't know what you didn't understand.

Last edited by NewToCA; 10-16-2007 at 04:33 PM..
 
Old 10-16-2007, 04:18 PM
 
191 posts, read 653,273 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
To say Negroes in English is derogatory because of the history of the word. Negro however, is Black in Spanish as we in America say Black. Theres no difference. I believe I said that above, I don't know what you didn't understand.
What??? I'm confused, too.
 
Old 10-16-2007, 04:42 PM
 
Location: Rural Central Texas
3,581 posts, read 9,009,467 times
Reputation: 5402
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
The illegal immigrants have been flooding America for 30 years. Has Bush been in office that long?
Texas became an independant country in 1836 and suffered illegal immigration during it's stint as a country. I don't think much has changed since then, so your 30 year estimate is probably about 90-110 years too low. 171 years since it ceased being a province of Mexico anyway.
 
Old 10-16-2007, 04:49 PM
 
Location: Cali
3,886 posts, read 5,998,723 times
Reputation: 2200
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
You are quite correct--this wouldn't help endear you to anyone today---though, at one time, this was considered the label-of-choice by polite society, both black and white, long before the euphemism "colored" came into fashion, after a few years to be replaced by "black", and then onto today's "African American". The word "negro" wasn't particularly offensive at one time; it survives today in the title of the "United Negro College Fund". It was the deliberately mis-pronouced "N" word that, to this day, could be considered an offense in the highest sense--even though it is STILL used, jokingly, by a certain select group of "insiders". Even the word "colored" survives in the official title of the "NAACP".

Very VERY delicate thing, this notion of "racial labels". It's very easy to get "in trouble"......
What in hell is the difference in being "of color" as oppossed to being "colored". Same thing with saying he or she looks "negroid" but yet you can't call then a negro! Its so nutty.
 
Old 10-16-2007, 05:02 PM
 
1,156 posts, read 1,875,935 times
Reputation: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choctaw2 View Post
It's been going on much longer than that. I am 66 YO and remember the raids in the fields when my dad was share cropping in Indio CA,. Even in the cotton fields, the border patrol would come out as soon as they did the illegals would run to thier hideouts. Yes hideouts, made for them by their employers. One employer even built a camoflaged room for his (foreman an illegal) It walls was made of wooden crates that looked like a stack of crates waiting to be filled with produce. This was all going on back in the 1950's and the raids were called "Operqation *******" Started by then President Dwight D Eisenhower. There was over a million illegals here then. They were picking up in the neighbohood of 1,000 illegals a day. Many of the illegals went back to Mexico volunteerily to avoid being caught by the Border Patrol. the ones deported were taken deep into Mexico to make it harder for them to return. This went on for months until Critics of Operation ******* considered it xenophobic and heartless. It was discontinued at that time, because of bleeding hearts. And it is a shame IMO It should be happening today.

I don't think all illegals should be sent to Mexico because they are not All Mexicans. that would not be the right thing to do. Everyone should go home to their own country and go through the proper channels to come back. then if they are willing to assimilate and obay our laws, then, I think they would be welcomed with open arms by most Americans.

I don't have one but I understand a person can not even get a passport to another country without cost, getting certain vacinations and waiting approval. Why should it be any different for someone wanting to come here permanently?
Excellent informative post!
 
Old 10-16-2007, 05:06 PM
 
1,156 posts, read 1,875,935 times
Reputation: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
What in hell is the difference in being "of color" as oppossed to being "colored". Same thing with saying he or she looks "negroid" but yet you can't call then a negro! Its so nutty.
Even the Blacks think it's nutty, they often call themselves colored. Saying negroes would be equivalent with saying caucasians.
 
Old 10-16-2007, 05:11 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,621,702 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
What in hell is the difference in being "of color" as oppossed to being "colored". Same thing with saying he or she looks "negroid" but yet you can't call then a negro! Its so nutty.
So true---these "euphemisms" do depend a great deal upon WHO uses them, as well as WHAT they say. Inevitably, all euphemisms run their course, begin to sound "sarcastic" to the point that they become offensive, and finally are "retired" to make room for another, newer euphemism. Today's euphemism becomes tomorrow's slur. (Think "crippled"----then "disabled"...then "handicapped"--then "physically challenged".......OR "retarded"....then "limited"....then "mentally challenged"...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top