Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 09:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,334 times

Advertisements

MOD CUT

Stop blaming illegal (and legal) immigration for all of the problems in the United States. Trust me, more money is being wasted on the war in Iraq than the money illegal immigration costs.

If you people need a scapegoat, blame yourselves...blame yourselves for voting for Dubya, because he's the one who has got you all into this mess.

Stop blaming immigrants for everything....it makes you look like a bunch of racists. MOD CUT....immigrants this, Hispanics that, immigrants that, etc, etc.

Illegals aren't stealing your jobs....globalization is. How many Americans strive to mow lawns, work at gas stations or sell flowers in the street?

Immigrants come to this country FOR THE SAME REASON THAT YOUR ANCESTORS CAME HERE: FOR A BETTER LIFE. They are only human, just like you.

Go learn Spanish or something. Most developed countries are bilingual, or even trilingual.

Impression of a gringo: "Oh my god, dem' Hispanics are a commin', speakin' all that Hispanic stuff....oh nooooooooooooooo!!!!"
Mexican: "Que pasa??"

Last edited by NewToCA; 10-16-2007 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: comment on topic, not each other.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:04 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times
There are differences between different groups of immigrants. This is a fact that's been talked about on many different threads. Please don't come in here and call everyone who dislikes the ideas of illegals breaking American Laws without punishment. I don't care where you came from, if you're here illegally, you are a criminal.

My ancestors never came here. I'm a second generation American.

Not only did my polish-originating family move here legally, they:

Learned the unofficial language of the land
Assimilated into society without the assistance of Welfare
Prospered

I have no problem with somebody who comes over here the legal way. I have a problem with somebody who takes a hop, skip, and jump across the border illegally, does not want to cut ties with the "homeland" and sends American Money to the rest of the family who live in another country.

I also have a problem with individuals who rape, sodomize, and kill two girls - but is possibly going to get off scotch free because he was not a citizen of the U.S. and therefore technically a "Mexican Nationalist" and exempt from most laws and law enforcement.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:08 PM

384 posts, read 1,132,365 times
I disagree with you, and think you add nothing to the discussion.

As a Christian, I accept the hardships that illegal aliens face. I don't blame them one bit for wanting to come here, especially after we have screwed Mexico even more with NAFTA. As a Christian, I am supposed to feel sorry for the poor and downtrodden (I do), and help them out (I do). I do not support illegal immigration, but I do not wish them any harm nor do I blame them for all of our problems.

Illegal immigration isn't a black and white issue such as stealing a TV or robbing a bank. Many factors come into play that can make it difficult to talk about. Families lives and well being are at stake. To me, it is not easy to draw a line.

If illegals currently in our country have learned the language, pay taxes, and contribute to the economy, and learn the American culture and blend the two, then I will accept them with open arms. But the outspoken ones do your movement no justice by saying we owe Mexico half of our land and that we should cater to them. We shouldn't.

Believe it or not, I have an active interest in learning Spanish for my own good. I like the culture, and think it is neccesary to be bi-lingual. I do not, however, think Hispanics should not attempt to learn our language. This is a predominantly English country and has been for over 100 years now.

Don't be so quick to brush all anti-illegals with the same color. I believe most of us here have no issues with law abiding immigrants, or even law abiding illegal immigrants (a contradiction though), but we do have problems with those that don't contribute positively to this country.

I respect your views but you should at least learn more about our movement, as I have taken the time to learn about yours. I even support some illegals in a way, and wish them the best of luck at obtaining citizenship.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:10 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times
I agree with pieces of both of your arguments. I don't really agree with the immigration laws, but until they're changed they need to be adhered to.

I agree that Mexicans and South Americans are just here because they're desperate, by and large. Trust me, if my family were starving, and Canada had jobs that the US didn't, I'd be the first one over the border, paperwork or not.

Perhaps instead of funneling wasted money into fixing the Iraq government, we should be trying to help the Mexican and South American governments and economies. (Key words: trying to help, not taking them over.)

Old 10-15-2007, 10:50 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,468,820 times
The illegal immigrants have been flooding America for 30 years. Has Bush been in office that long?

Old 10-16-2007, 12:38 AM

1,156 posts, read 2,089,038 times
The bottom line with the illegal immigration problems... is that their great numbers have ruined our finances:

*Depression of our wages due to illegal immigration among business employer competition.
*Plus, a dramatic rise in housing costs and rentals starting in early 80's in L.A., thus causing a large rise in homelessness among families and elderly. Your wages are half of what it takes to barely pay your bills.
*Taking away free medical care to getting bad free care, and many have died.

*Also, there is the large violent crime issue.

Last edited by faith10; 10-16-2007 at 12:50 AM..

Old 10-16-2007, 01:23 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,445,519 times
[quote=LosDelRio;1742591]You people are sad....
Illegals aren't stealing your jobs....globalization is.
B]Go learn Spanish or something. Most developed countries are bilingual, or even trilingual.

Interesting!
Globalization funny that should bring that up because America outsourced jobs to Mexico.

And as far as Most Developed countries are bilingual Good Point why does Mexico not care to learn English the universal language?

Old 10-16-2007, 07:06 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times
English is taught to students in Mexican schools. The vast majority of young Mexicans living in Mexico can speak English at least to some degree.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:58 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,198,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
English is taught to students in Mexican schools. The vast majority of young Mexicans living in Mexico can speak English at least to some degree.
Well why would they not be able to learn English. 55% of the words in the English language come straight from Latin so Spanish speakers already have built-in vocabulary to learn it.

Hell, if people in dirt poor Afghanistan can learn English anyone can.lol

Old 10-16-2007, 08:08 AM

457 posts, read 431,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosDelRio View Post
Stop blaming illegal (and legal) immigration for all of the problems in the United States. Trust me, more money is being wasted on the war in Iraq than the money illegal immigration costs.

If you people need a scapegoat, blame yourselves...blame yourselves for voting for Dubya, because he's the one who has got you all into this mess.

Stop blaming immigrants for everything....it makes you look like a bunch of racists.....immigrants this, Hispanics that, immigrants that, etc, etc.

Illegals aren't stealing your jobs....globalization is. How many Americans strive to mow lawns, work at gas stations or sell flowers in the street?

Immigrants come to this country FOR THE SAME REASON THAT YOUR ANCESTORS CAME HERE: FOR A BETTER LIFE. They are only human, just like you.

Go learn Spanish or something. Most developed countries are bilingual, or even trilingual.

Impression of a gringo: "Oh my god, dem' Hispanics are a commin', speakin' all that Hispanic stuff....oh nooooooooooooooo!!!!"
Mexican: "Que pasa??"
MOD CUT all the ILLEGALS should go back to mexico.

Last edited by NewToCA; 10-16-2007 at 09:18 AM.. Reason: Stay off personal comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration