U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 10:40 AM

86 posts, read 126,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
What is your source for the statement that id theft done by illegal immigrants is not punished with jail time? It is contrary to what I'm seeing in Northern California.
ID Theft is being prosecuted but very LIGHTLY. Why? Most employer arean't reporting mismatched SS #'s, and the government lacks the energy and resources to go after everybody. Which they should. Almost all illegals either falsify ID cards or use someone elses. Hence a deportable crime coupled with breaking the immigration law? right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 10:42 AM

2,923 posts, read 4,486,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusisLord View Post
Why would you want to deport all the illegals?!

I'd rather forgive them and have them join the great and mighty Kingdom of God, minister healing and deliverance, and set them free!!

"If you do not forgive your brother his trespasses, your father in heaven will not forgive you of your trespasses."

"But if you forgive your brother his trespasses, your father in heaven will also you of your trespasses."

So start forgiving, because unforgiveness creates bad seeds which choke out the good seed, and settle for nothing less than God's BEST!!!!
The good aspects of religion

Old 10-17-2007, 10:50 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,176,199 times
To deviate a little but still related to id theft. Everyone should get their free credit report a year to see if there are any issues. However, seldom do people think that they need to check for their kids. However, I read an article about how in Nevada, a large portion of id theft is from social security numbers of kids and also newborns.. This is not being discovered until 10-15 years down the road as these kids become adults and go for job or car loan, etc.

You and your kids should make sure that you check your credit anually. Not that it will catch everything, but it is something.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:02 AM

15,371 posts, read 33,782,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusisLord View Post
Why would you want to deport all the illegals?!

I'd rather forgive them and have them join the great and mighty Kingdom of God, minister healing and deliverance, and set them free!!

"If you do not forgive your brother his trespasses, your father in heaven will not forgive you of your trespasses."

"But if you forgive your brother his trespasses, your father in heaven will also you of your trespasses."

So start forgiving, because unforgiveness creates bad seeds which choke out the good seed, and settle for nothing less than God's BEST!!!!
How about if I said they were Atheist Illegals????????

Old 10-17-2007, 11:12 AM

16,092 posts, read 35,796,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
What is your source for the statement that id theft done by illegal immigrants is not punished with jail time? It is contrary to what I'm seeing in Northern California.
Well I got a nice big packet from the IRS today because I miscalculated a small capital gain. Never mind I have already filled out the previous paperwork and paid the extra taxes and penaltes, now they want me to fill all this stuff out...I don't dare ignore it.

I don't see the IRS going after the huge illegal cash economy and the billions being wired out of the country (while saying they are too poor to pay medical bills, get driver's licenses and insurance, etc.)

Old 10-17-2007, 11:50 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,620,778 times
No, it would not be possible to deport all illegals, and I've never seriously even considered this. My constant rant has always been that illegal immigration MUST be stopped, now or soon, if we want to keep any semblance of a desirable country. In fact, I can say that illegal immigration will stop ITSELF, if the day ever arrives when our society has become so impoverished and contentious that people no longer want to come here. But let's hope it doesn't come to that, and get this under control before it's too late.

Actual mass deportations will probably never happen. If you want to just engage in a "what-if", though, here's what I can imagine: Thousands of people, taken from their homes and loaded aboard south-bound Greyhound Buses (a punishment in ITSELF ), and transported into Mexican territory for repatriation, accompanied by a three-ring circus of reporters, photographers, protesters, and T-shirt salesmen...
Want to guess what would happen next? I'll tell you. As about the second bus began to unload, the Mexican police/ government would step up, loudly refusing to "admit" these people from "abroad", and proceed to haul them off to "detention centers" for "further study".
At that point, the American public, faced with the certain knowledge that thes folks were destined to be imprisoned in Mexico, would DEMAND a swift end to the program. Greyhound would leave their buses on "standby" to be quickly re-loaded and sent back north....complete with their "cargo". Most people wouldn't even get a chance to unpack their luggage, and MOST would probably keep their original bus seats.
Total time of the "deportation program"?--probably about 24 hours.

Americans would have no "stomach" for the thought that these deportees might be mistreated; it's one of our more wholesome qualities.

Our only option, as I see it, is to prevent FUTURE illegal immigration, not to try and undo what's already occurred.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:52 AM

1,510 posts, read 710,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
Are you here illegally, or is it someone in your family?
neither. assumptive on your part.

Quote:
I am curious as to what reasons you have that motivate your belief that we have such an obligation to provide comfort and assistance to people of other countries at the expense of the needy in our own country.
i dont think we should do it at the expense of the needy. i think we're doing it at the expense of the "wanty". big government is making the average american feel impoverished, so the general generosity of the people is diminished in turn, and anger is created when our social programs are being overused. but we do not stop and realize that it is the people with power (and power to change our way of lives), aka the federal government, that is creating this environment for conflict. that is where i focus my hostility, not at the common working man.

Quote:
Why you feel that if a law appears to be unjust to someone it is ok for them to disobey it without regard and still expect the other laws that benefit them be carried out.
my humanitarian beliefs dictate which laws i feel are just and unjust. i have no problem playing both sides. i think that it is not a black & white issue, that we have some good and some bad laws, and our sensibility should show us which are which. it is the general attitude of the anti-illegal that confuses me. the justification for deportation/punishment is the illegality of their immigration, yet when they legally have "anchor babies", or make use of social services that our government grants them, all of a sudden the laws make no sense. we should be able to question them all if we can question some. just my logical opinion.

Quote:
I am all for legal immigration and I am even for temporary work visas so that those that wish to work but not become US citizens can go where the work is without breaking the law.
me too.

Quote:
I am not in favor of ignoring our laws to benefit a select few, whether they be US citizens or not. I am not in favor of trying to provide recompense for injustices, real or imagined, that might have occurred during my fathers, grandfathers or great-grandfathers time. I am not in favor of creating a utopia for anyone, including US citizens at the expense of other US citizens.
whether you are in favor or not, we still have an influx of immigrants. your opinions are going to do little to change that, so you might as well look for a realistic solution, and you might even have to do a little compromising to get the best possible outcome. the unwillingness to compromise by the already privileged is what is keeping us in this unnecessary war.

Quote:
I do wish that a solution can be found that permits those who feel they are not being allowed to reach their full potential can exercise their skills without becoming a parasite to others. I do wish that we can allow people to live where they desire legally and without sacrificing the constraints that enable a civilized life.
and that is where the compromise comes into play. the american public must take steps to become multi-lingual to bridge communicative gaps in order to make our new people multi-lingual, so we can all better understand each other. once we can communicate, we can teach their children alongside ours, and watch them grow into productive, skilled members of society. we could enjoy the fruits of another culture, and share with them aspects of ours that have made our country tolerant, peace-loving, and free. it's all possible, we just have to take advantage of our fortunes and lead by example. like ive said before, sharing is something i learned in kindergarten.

Quote:
I think we do need to devise a method to protect ourselves from criminals, both homegrown and imported, and if those criminals are imported we need to deport them and keep them out.

yeah, its called law enforcement. it has its pros and cons. i personally believe in the 2nd amendment, and think that an armed society is also a polite one. that too has its pros and cons. but those are our devices.

good post, btw. its refreshing to see a little compassion in an opinion. there's too much hate on this board.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:53 AM

1,510 posts, read 710,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I don't see the IRS going after the huge illegal cash economy and the billions being wired out of the country (while saying they are too poor to pay medical bills, get driver's licenses and insurance, etc.)
theyre like little globalized corporations. isnt that spiffy?

Old 10-17-2007, 03:29 PM

2,257 posts, read 3,455,178 times
Symbolic interaction is the solution eh?

Americans dont have to learn another language to understand their laws are being broken, they are surrounded by criminals and the government in the pocket of the wealthy support and facilitate this lawlessness.

Old 10-17-2007, 04:51 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,161,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
How about if I said they were Atheist Illegals????????
Most illegals from South America are Roman Catholic as that is the dominant religion in South America. And that post was some sort of disturbing mormon post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration