Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 08:05 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,475,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
The citizens of Mexico have done nothing to deserve being born into poverty in Mexico.
They need to take that up with their Mexican government.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:07 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,998,404 times
As individuals? You think they have much more "choice" in the government they get than we do?

Old 10-16-2007, 08:12 PM

1,511 posts, read 977,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
You see, there is this thing called the US border. And we have these immigration laws that are supposed to be obeyed. No country has the right to dump millions of their poor people on us and expect us to provide health care for them, educate them, house them and so forth.
The citizens of the United States of American have done NOTHING to deserve this.
you probably havent done anything extraordinary to "deserve" your american citizenship.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:17 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,848,625 times
Quote:
if we had a large influx of Canadian illegal immigrants, rather than Mexican ones? Would you get as riled up? Just wondering. Would you go out in the streets and protest, or would you be bragging about "how much better our healthcare system is" and "how the Canadians are finally realizing that the US is the only land of opportunity," or something like that?
Let me put it to you this way. I detest the large population of AMERICANS that are sucking up welfare, medicaid, food stamps, and health care. I think they all should get off their butts and get a job. So, I don't care what nation thinks they can waltz over our border and demand services they are not entitled to, I am going to detest them.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
Let me put it to you this way. I detest the large population of AMERICANS that are sucking up welfare, medicaid, food stamps, and health care. I think they all should get off their butts and get a job. So, I don't care what nation thinks they can waltz over our border and demand services they are not entitled to, I am going to detest them.
but arent the lazy an inherent group in any society? i mean, no matter how hard everybody works, there will always be someone viewed as "lazy"...

Old 10-16-2007, 08:20 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,848,625 times
Quote:
What about the world's people? World poverty? I agree that we should hold the interests of our citizens, to some degree, to be more important than the interests of people from other countries, as long as the other countries of the world do the same, but to WHAT degree? Absolute? Do we have to be completely self-interested? Should we be nationalistic to the expense of the rest of the world's people?
We should help countries help themselves but that does not mean we need to take thier problems upon ourselves. Teach a man to fish and all that.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:22 PM

Quote:
As individuals? You think they have much more "choice" in the government they get than we do?
Well, they certainly seem to have no problem organizing and demanding things here in the US. They should take their newly aquired skills as activists to their home countries (along with LaRaza, MALDEF, etc.) and go for it.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:24 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
The citizens of Mexico have done nothing to deserve being born into poverty in Mexico.
Your intentions are noble, but the thing you're missing here, fishmonger, is that the poor people of Mexico, on a world-wide scale, are actually quite average in terms of wealth and standard of living. There are many, many nations whose living conditions make Mexico look positively affluent.

Mexico has a huge advantage in "sending" its poor here, largely as a result of simple geography. Its claim to have a special interest in the US because of "prior ownership" is spurious at best--and beyond that, Mexican poor people are no more deserving of our special help than Haitians, Afghans, Liberians, or Paraguayans. All of these people, and many more, are FAR poorer than Mexicans....they just have a much harder time getting here.

If you're alluding to a moral obligation, as an American, and a Catholic, I agree. We DO have an obligation to help the poor. And we do help the poor, far in excess of most of the world's other countries. We will continue to, and we offer many people each year the opportunity to immigrate here legally, including those from Mexico.

Having said all this, illegal immigration is still, at the end of the day, "line-jumping". You're cutting ahead of others in line, and that's just not fair to anyone but yourself.

It's a very complex situation, but I don't believe we're to blame for being unkind. If anything, this problem has been exacerbated because we've been overly-generous; and now, faced with the prospect of having to "cut back", we're being made out to be the "bad guys". We don't deserve that label.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Well, they certainly seem to have no problem organizing and demanding things here in the US. They should take their newly aquired skills as activists to their home countries (along with LaRaza, MALDEF, etc.) and go for it.
you only have this viewpoint because you were fortunate enough to be born here. MOD CUT

Last edited by NewToCA; 10-16-2007 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: stay away from personal observations

Old 10-16-2007, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0ST.. View Post
you probably havent done anything extraordinary to "deserve" your american citizenship.
As you would say:
Quote:
such is life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration