Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 08:55 PM

791 posts, read 2,223,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
What about the world's people? World poverty? I agree that we should hold the interests of our citizens, to some degree, to be more important than the interests of people from other countries, as long as the other countries of the world do the same, but to WHAT degree? Absolute? Do we have to be completely self-interested? Should we be nationalistic to the expense of the rest of the world's people?
The response of the U.S. citizens to emergencies and other needs in other parts of the world should satisfy your inquiry into 'what expense'. It's not like the U.S. is alone in helping the people of other countries. Look at the U.N. and its' massive efforts in the 'oil for....', what was that? ...'cash under the table'?

Old 10-16-2007, 08:56 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0ST.. View Post
she is excluding people. laws or no laws, they are PEOPLE.

so why not share our good fortune?

i have taken no one into my home except my girlfriend. my place is 1 bedroom, and i really do not have room. i offer my community service and income through voting and my choice of spending. i get my. i have also educated myself on mexican culture, learned a fair deal of spanish, and have had almost all hispanic friends throughout my lifetime. is that good enough for you?

i contribute my share. i have a right to opine on how well the money is being allocated. tyvm.
Living with your girlfriend is a deep affront to the Mexican culture, with its deep Catholic roots. I'm sure her parents are deeply upset. And even a 1- bedroom place could easily hold a family of four, if you were serious about helping.....just a suggestion,

Old 10-16-2007, 08:57 PM

191 posts, read 712,388 times
Quote:
she is excluding people. laws or no laws, they are PEOPLE.

so why not share our good fortune?

You can only cut a pie into so many pieces -- eventually, you run out of pie.

i have taken no one into my home except my girlfriend. my place is 1 bedroom, and i really do not have room. i offer my community service and income through voting and my choice of spending. i get my groceries from the mom & pop chains, which happen to all be hispanic/arab owned in my area. i also tip generously, even when i get street tacos (which puts money directly in the pockets of the working class, who i support more than anyone). as a poor person myself, i have little financial means to level the playing field. but i do what i can. and i dont say that lightly. i have also educated myself on mexican culture, learned a fair deal of spanish, and have had almost all hispanic friends throughout my lifetime. is that good enough for you?

I can't say that it is. Also, not sure what having Hispanic friends does for the plight of the illegal immigrant.

i contribute my share. i have a right to opine on how well the money is being allocated. tyvm.
As do I. I just don't understand why a person would advocate funneling the money to people that aren't following the laws of this country.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:58 PM

Quote:
i agree with you. but if the undeserving refuse to leave, wouldnt it be hypocritical to point the finger and the "undeserving" and tell them theyre not allowed to stay?
This one is WAY over my head....you win.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:01 PM

1,511 posts, read 978,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Living with your girlfriend is a deep affront to the Mexican culture, with its deep Catholic roots. I'm sure her parents are deeply upset. And even a 1- bedroom place could easily hold a family of four, if you were serious about helping.....just a suggestion,
i dont have the means to feed them. i have some expectation of personal privacy regardless. theres always something MORE we could all be doing, but that doesnt diminish what i am doing.

also, the mexican culture, as traditionally catholic as it is generalized as, is not as religiously zealous as you make it out to be. this is a christian nation, but we have many people that are atheists, or practice other forms of religion. my girlfriend's family is one of them. they go to church but dont disapprove of our relationship. i never plan on marrying, seeing as its a tradition i personally do not believe in. so our lifestyle fits us appropriately. im just appreciative no one is closed-minded enough to chastise me for my beliefs.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:02 PM

Quote:
This one is WAY over my head....you win.
eh, i dont feel like a winner. i just wish i could change one person to a humanitarian. then id feel great.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:40 PM

Quote:
i . im just appreciative no one is closed-minded enough to chastise me for my beliefs.
I'll certainly go along with you on that--I'd hate to see ANYBODY chastised for their beliefs....seems like that's happened on a number of occasions.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:51 PM

Quote:
I'll certainly go along with you on that--I'd hate to see ANYBODY chastised for their beliefs....seems like that's happened on a number of occasions.
my beliefs dont hurt anybody. even our personal freedoms enjoy that boundary.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:28 PM

38 posts, read 45,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
if we had a large influx of Canadian illegal immigrants, rather than Mexican ones? Would you get as riled up? Just wondering. Would you go out in the streets and protest, or would you be bragging about "how much better our healthcare system is" and "how the Canadians are finally realizing that the US is the only land of opportunity," or something like that?
ILLEGALS ARE ILLEGALS. You are trolling here, trying to make this into a RACE issue, when it is NOT.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Man View Post
ILLEGALS ARE ILLEGALS. You are trolling here, trying to make this into a RACE issue, when it is NOT.
he is just asking a question to determine if people truly believe "ILLEGALS ARE ILLEGALS"... settle down
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration