U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 02:13 PM

36,741 posts, read 16,345,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
You don't believe in a different path to legal immigration? Still stuck on the old beliefs? OK, that's your opinion, and I can respect that.

So, democrats only pander/pandered to illegal immigrants?
Mitt Romney would preserve President Obama

You know, maybe the GOP should soften their stance on many issues if they ever hope to have a chance in being elected in 2016.

Dream Act 2012 - Deferred Action
We don't need anymore immigrants than our annual quotas already in place so what would be the need to implement more/different paths to legal immigration?

Romney did not promise an amnesty to illegal immigrants so I don't know how you think he pandered for the Hispanic vote. Obama won the majority of the Hispanic vote based on his promise of amnesty. Surely you know this.

Off topic about the other issues but what you are advocating is for the GOP to become Democrats by changing their stance on them. Why have two parties then? They would just be mirroring each other and conseratives would have no viable choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Since I'm not a legislator, I won't make my views of easier legal immigration public on a forum, but I do believe in reforms of old and outdated policies. Streamlining the process. I believe Obama is on the correct path to deny certain illegal immigrants a stay of any type, those with criminal backgrounds, and so forth.
He is only denying a stay of deportaton to those who have a criminal record. That's a whole lot different than not being caught yet. Many of them are guilty of using fake or stolen ID's to work and that is just the tip of the iceberg. That is a criminal offense. Why should any illegal immigrants be given a pass on our immigration laws even if their parents brought them here?

You don't have to be a legislator to post your ideas on the changes in our immigration policies that you would like to see. How are our policies outdated?

Old 12-27-2012, 02:27 PM

50,508 posts, read 26,677,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Please provide proof of all of your assertions, thanks.
Proof of what? Do you live in Arizona?

Old 12-27-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Proof of what? Do you live in Arizona?
Proof of all of your assertions about Jan Brewer of course. No, I don't live in Arizona but what has that to do with it?

Old 12-27-2012, 03:10 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,159,006 times
Quote:
The Republicans killed what bill?
The bill listed in the article quoted to the comment I was responding to...

Old 12-27-2012, 05:23 PM

50,508 posts, read 26,677,010 times
Quote:
Proof of all of your assertions about Jan Brewer of course. No, I don't live in Arizona but what has that to do with it?
You want proof that she's an idiot that only cares about illegal immigration based on the political winds? Again, its common knowledge that she wasn't for SB1070. Arizonans know it because she not only voiced her reservations about it, but she signed the bill belatedly...before it would become law regardless if her signature.

We also know that the only enforcement that she's been interested in over the last 2-3 years has been getting tough on commercial vehicles to the point of insufferable harassment.

Brewer is an idiot...and the residents of this state know it.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You want proof that she's an idiot that only cares about illegal immigration based on the political winds? Again, its common knowledge that she wasn't for SB1070. Arizonans know it because she not only voiced her reservations about it, but she signed the bill belatedly...before it would become law regardless if her signature.

We also know that the only enforcement that she's been interested in over the last 2-3 years has been getting tough on commercial vehicles to the point of insufferable harassment.

Brewer is an idiot...and the residents of this state know it.
Yes, I would like proof of your assertions not just biased opinion. If you don't wish to provide it then so be it.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
The bill listed in the article quoted to the comment I was responding to...
You mean this one?
"Lawmakers killed a bill that would have created a state-sanctioned border militia, but that didn't squelch the Minuteman impulse in Arizona".

Where does it say that the Republicans killed it? I see that Governor Brewer was opposed to it but so what?

Old 12-27-2012, 06:44 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,998,929 times
Knowing how many of us in Arizona think and do things; many of the ranchers WILL take matters into their own hands if the cops and politicians don't step up.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:56 PM

8,353 posts, read 5,986,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
You don't have to be a legislator to have an opinion. If you believe our immigration policies should be reformed, and are old and outdated, why can't you offer an explanation? I also believe we should streamline the process by cutting the red tape. But, that should not preclude the enforcement of our current laws.

I disagree with Obama on this issue. He wants to grant amnesty to all illegal aliens, with the exception of a few "violent" criminals. If I'm not mistaken, most of our prisons are populated by people who committed non-violent acts. Yet, he wants to give non-violent illegal aliens a free pass. How is that fair?
Here's part of the problems. An immigrant {illegal} came to America years ago, obtained a job, has worked for years, paid his/her taxes, and was found to be here illegally. He/she has family {wife/husband/daughter/son} in Mexico. Authorities want to deport him/her after being here for many years. He/she wishes and prays for citizenship for himself/herself and family living in Mexico.

As long as this illegal immigrant has committed no offenses other than misdemeanors {traffic/parking, etc} let's allow citizenship to him/her, allow his immediate family temporary visas, and see how they behave themselves. If they do not, then deport.

I've never been in a position where a border separated myself from my family, but I can only imagine how heart wrenching it must be. I believe all human beings deserve an equal chance or opportunity in what life has to offer for that person or people. Being compassionate and having understanding of other peoples situations is truly humanitarian.

You say Obama wants amnesty for all illegals, well, Bush 43 wanted the same except his party didn't.
I do realize that there are many people who think like you do, you want no more immigrants coming into the USA at all, and I can respect that opinion too. But there is a way to work through differences we might have by talking about the issues, and not just during election cycles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or